What about this for the speed 6???????

chuyler1 said:
75HP on a Turbo Honda?

i called them and they said that on the mazdaspeed 6 we should get 30hp.
pretty good when u think about it. for 199$ = 30hp and u get to keep your original exhaust. i ordered one , im suppose to get it today .

1) It'll throw a check engine light if its prior to the catyltic converter.
2) It won't show a significant gain in power unless the stock catback is overly restrictive (the main restriction in turboback's is generally the piece prior the cat between the turbo and catback).
3) It "will" be loud.

My guess is 5-10 whp, a check engine light, and alot of noise.

1- no check engine , becuase the sensors are before.
2- yes it will be loud but who cares!!! u open it only at the tracks , not on your street. street racing is BAD :)

3- for 199$ u cant go wrong. worst case if it doesnt work . just dont open it and u still have the regular line .

4- i will install it and give u the results

1- no check engine , becuase the sensors are before.

In that case there won't be much gain if any at all. If the sensors are before, that means this is post catyltic converter..you could have just disconnected your catback for free and see if it made a difference and saved 199 dollars for purchasing a CP-E intake, or put it aside for the future turboback, which would make a decent performance improvement.

i got the cold air from CP-e as well , waiting on that also. i will try it out and give you some news on that, check the videos they made f the WRX and the SRT-4 looks decent and no check engin

Yes but think logically here.

You are installing this after the catalytic converter. (ie after the "sensors"). The only thing after the catalytic converter is the stock catback. You don't need an exhaust cutout to test that, all you need is unbolt the catback and drive around for a bit if you want to know if it makes any difference.

On the standard 6i and 6s, the catback doesn't restrict the exhaust flow at all, because its pretty much double what you need. The MPS 6 is the same way, you've divided the restriction of the mufflers in half by having two of them when you only actually need one.

I could understand the cutout having more of an effect if it was "prior" the the catalytic converter...but thats sure to throw a check engine light unless you use mil elminators.

Basically I'd return this, cause the second you bought the turboback, it would be rendered useless. I do assume you want to install a turboback that will have dyno proven gains on the mps 6.

Last edited:
i will install this right after the downpipe.
when u say turboback you mean downpipe????

i just want to try it out. what if it does work?? then for 200$ im good , if not then big deal i lost 200$ !!!!

i wanna keep my car stock , like i dont want to put a 3'' exahust and have noise when im driving because i do alot of trips , like montreal to new york , montreal to toronto. so with this , then i just have my noise when i go to the tracks on sundays ;)

You need to put this before the cats if you want to see any real gain....otherwise you just wasted $199.......

thats what im going to do as well. put it before the cat,

look on there website they show u on the front page where to install it.

And if you install it prior to the catalytic converter, you will throw a check engine light.

Basically you can install it after the cat and get little if no gain.
Or you install it prior to the cat, and get some gain, but throw a big yellow check engine light.

crossbow said:
And if you install it prior to the catalytic converter, you will throw a check engine light.

Or you install it prior to the cat, and get some gain, but throw a big yellow check engine light.

i will install it before , i will see whats the result and i will try to put a video of that. i will tell you if it is worth the 199$ or not!!!

thanks again for the replies .

Ran my civic with CEL 24 / 7.... no cats will do that to an ECU....

Anyway... I think this whole argument comes down to one thing... The cat.... Is the stock cat any good? Would an upgraded performance high flow cat make a huge difference? I have no clue...

I do know that the stock exhaust on the speed6 is damn nice... Most performance exhaust shops won't even touch my car... saying that i'd most likely lose performance.. or gain very little.... for the money spent... For those who have actually had their car up on a lift.. and looked under there.... I mean come on.. they pulled 274 hp outta a TMIC small turbo 2.3L... Its got a good stock setup to begin with...

Now... If you want a drag racing Speed6...cut the collector in half.. bend it out the side of the car... it will sound like complete ass.. and not be street legal.. but it will have NO restriction! heh...

As for this custom setup bypass thingy! Great idea on paper... Question still comes down to... will a CEL cause the engine to run at 33% (throttle)... or any other performance cuts... And will removing the cats / mufflers from the system with this device... provide a performance increase worth the 200 bucks + noise and CEL?

I'd love to know the results... I plan on keeping my speed6 quit... comfortable.. stylish... luxury ride... But.. pull as much power outta it as I can still... and this could be a way to do that...

I think it would be funny as hell to do a pre-launch demo on the line... (where most cars burn out.. but we can't)... and have it be all quiet... then flip the switch.. open the exhaust... and when the light hits green... SUPER ****** LOUD SPEED6 TAKES OFF...

[/QUOTE]I'd love to know the results... I plan on keeping my speed6 quit... comfortable.. stylish... luxury ride... But.. pull as much power outta it as I can still... and this could be a way to do that...

I think it would be funny as hell to do a pre-launch demo on the line... (where most cars burn out.. but we can't)... and have it be all quiet... then flip the switch.. open the exhaust... and when the light hits green... SUPER ****** LOUD SPEED6 TAKES OFF...[/QUOTE]

if you wanna keep your car quit... comfortable.. stylish... luxury ride thats the thing to get.

must be cool u do 1 race with thte thing close then you tell the guy hey lets do one more LOL u open it the guys like WTF
hahahahaha(first)

why would this throw a CEL ? the little quantity of exhaust air that won't go out the cutout and make it through the CAT will show the correct oxygen concentration once it exits the cat and hits the 2nd o2 sensor .... unless you're saying that the o2 will realise that not enough exhaust air made it and give a catalyst malfunction CEL ? (thinking that it's blocked because not enough air made it through)

either way, if you get a CEL because of this, once the cutout is closed, it will eventually go away. i get CEL all the time because i have no cat but i can make it go away if i want to

crossbow said:

i don't see a HUGE gain out of this because of the 2 1/4" exhaust on the speed6. unless the stock cats/resonators/mufflers are really restrictive but it should still be nice

the day we made my custom 3" exhaust, my stock boost went from 6psi to 8psi and i reached full boost ~300rpm sooner. THAT alone would make me buy this cutout if i had a car like the speed6. I'd want to keep it nice and quiet because it isn't the same type of car, but it has the power to have fun and this cutout would let me pull more power out of the engine without compromising anything.

EDIT: So what if you get a CEL after a night at the track racing with friends ... unplug the battery for a few minutes and it'll flush the code. or find a friend with a scanner and erase the code when it happens.

unless you're saying that the o2 will realise that not enough exhaust air made it and give a catalyst malfunction CEL ?

The new mazda's are crazy sensitive to any type of changes whatsoever. They have redundant sensors which check and balance each other. If things are just off a little bit, the car starts throwing codes. A short trip down the road with the cutoff enabled probably won't be enough to throw a cel, but a trip or two down the track might.

The main restriction in the MPS 6 exhaust is the section after the turbo, prior to the main cat. This is the section which the aftermarket community is working on tuning for maximum power gains.

The main cat shouldn't be a major restriction, as its #2 in the restriction formula. You always have to start at the source, then work your way out if you want max power gains.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=4210

Note the giant stupid precat right after the friggin turbo, then a stupid bend, another bend, then it feeds right into a nice straight pipe with a nicely sized cat. The WU-TWC and Front Pipe section are going to be your power adders.

One thing the cutoff websites fail to mention is the effect of adding a cutoff system to an exhaust when the cutoff is closed off. It creates turbulence and interrupts the smooth flow of exhaust out the rear of the car. Huh? What? Ya thats right, you reduce your power output when its closed. It acts as a sort of restriction to the smooth flow of the exhaust.

so there's no point in doing any of this without replacing the downpipe (WU-TWC) okay

crossbow said:
The new mazda's are crazy sensitive to any type of changes whatsoever. They have redundant sensors which check and balance each other. If things are just off a little bit, the car starts throwing codes. A short trip down the road with the cutoff enabled probably won't be enough to throw a cel, but a trip or two down the track might.

The main restriction in the MPS 6 exhaust is the section after the turbo, prior to the main cat. This is the section which the aftermarket community is working on tuning for maximum power gains.

The main cat shouldn't be a major restriction, as its #2 in the restriction formula. You always have to start at the source, then work your way out if you want max power gains.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=4210

Note the giant stupid precat right after the friggin turbo, then a stupid bend, another bend, then it feeds right into a nice straight pipe with a nicely sized cat. The WU-TWC and Front Pipe section are going to be your power adders.

One thing the cutoff websites fail to mention is the effect of adding a cutoff system to an exhaust when the cutoff is closed off. It creates turbulence and interrupts the smooth flow of exhaust out the rear of the car. Huh? What? Ya thats right, you reduce your power output when its closed. It acts as a sort of restriction to the smooth flow of the exhaust.

the way i see it , i will place it right after the front pipe(between the TWC) or i will just take off the TWC and install the cutout there.

Latest posts

Back