Mazdaspeed6 Intermittent Lack of Power Concern Fix Available

crossbow

:
Mazda 6s
2006 Mazdaspeed6 intermittent lack of power concern
-new PCM calibration is now available on IDS.

Cal. Spec.
Filename is SW-L3K9EJ000

NEW PCM CAL.
P/N is L3K9-18881J

Fed Spec.
Filename is SW-L3M8EJ000

NEW PCM CAL.
P/N is L3M8-18881J

Should any 2006 Mazdaspeed6 customers complain about an intermittent
lack of power concern, please update your IDS tool to software version
42.9 P6 and reprogram the vehicle's PCM to the latest calibration
(L3K9-18881J).

What does this mean?
Any power loss issues you experience, please call your dealer immediately and ask them if they have updated to 42.9 P6, and if not, if they would please check the mazda tech line for information about

Intermittent Lack of Power Concern

It takes some dealerships sometime to check the tech line...so please call PRIOR to visiting. Encourage them to check the tech line until they get the information about the new software download. The key words are the bolded and enlarged text above.

Do note that there is no information on "exactly" what this fix does. Those with boost gauges, please record data BEFORE and AFTER the fix. It will be invaluable to figuring out what changes mazda is making. Anyone with a data logger, please capture data prior to and after the fix as well.

If you have NOT had POWER LOSS...AVOID getting the fix until more information on what it actually does is available. Get the fix if you are having issues, but avoid getting it if you haven't had any.

Here is the info from the previously pinned sticky on what the powerloss is.

What is happening when the power loss occurs?
When the Mazdaspeed 6 detects 1 knock, it cuts the electronic throttle input to 33%. That means if you have the pedal floored completely down, the max the PCM/ECU allows the throttle plate to open is 1/3. Since the throttle is electric, the PCM can completely override any and all driver inputs for the safety of the engine. Those who ever owned a 6 with a bad maf sensor know exactly how this works.

What is knock?
Knock, or pinging/denonation, is when the unburned fuel/air mixture in the cylinder combusts prior to the flame front (of the actual combustion process) completes. This causes an interruption in combustion due to the two shockwaves intersecting and generally results in a metallic "ping" sound.

Why is this occuring the MPS 6?
The main problem seems to stem from the lack of pure 93 octane gas in many areas of the United States. In Japan, 93 octane gas is available in all areas, but this is not the gas in the United States. Higher octane gasolines reduce the chance of premature detonation by increasing the activation energy required for combustion. (Simple explanation). This help prevents a mixture of air/fuel from detonating prior to the flame front (from the spark).
Other causes of detonation involve excessive combustion temperatures, (which can be related to cooling issues with either the air charge or the coolant system), timing advanced too far, and running too hot a sparkplug.

What is Mazda doing about this?
Mazda is adjusting the # of cycles it takes the knock sensor to throw the car into 33% throttle mode through a PCM/ECU reflash. The sensitivity is also going to be addressed, but not significantly, as the knock sensor is still there to stop detonation from occuring. The cycles should greatly reduce the # of occurances from owners. This Flash is now available and will slowly populate to dealers across the USA. Please call your dealer and ensure its availability PRIOR to visiting.

Here is an uncluttered link with the information (in case this thread goes beserk)
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?p=43549#43549

Last edited:
What they are probably doing is stepping down the powerloss.

Meaning it senses knock or low octane, and then goes to 10% powerloss, then goes to 15% loss if it picks up more knock, and eventually all the way down to the previous standard of 33% or more powerloss.

(sssh)

Some dealerships have been claiming this fix is not available...so I took a screenshot of the IDS version with the VCM in the foreground.

vcm.jpg

Yes I have a giant thumb.

Crossbow, you rock. I vote that we change your name to Trebuchet or Howitzer (depending on whether you like the historical or the modern theme) because crossbow seems an inadequate description of your firepower brother!

R

Crossbow,

I stickied this thread and moved it to the general MS6 forum because I think that it is important enough that everyone should see it rather than simply those who are checking out the Forced Induction forum.

R

Excellent post Crossbow (thumb)

Also...Props to Rainman for making this info more accessible!

Rainman said:
Crossbow,

I stickied this thread and moved it to the general MS6 forum because I think that it is important enough that everyone should see it rather than simply those who are checking out the Forced Induction forum.

R

All who have this problem be aware that the software update is NOT improving performance in most cars updated. Feedback has been that the hesitation goes away but boost is not felt until high in the RPM range. Apparent serious decrease in performance according to most.
If your particular problem is not that frequent, wait for further updates.

ln0217 said:
All who have this problem be aware that the software update is NOT improving performance in most cars updated. Feedback has been that the hesitation goes away but boost is not felt until high in the RPM range. Apparent serious decrease in performance according to most.

lol here we go nice job on the computer once again mazda can you say MSP problems all over again??

ln0217 said:

I'm waiting myself, since I experienced P/W only once in 7K miles. But I haven't seen more than one or two posts which suggest any decrease in performance. Seems unlikely, too, since fix is supposedly just a desensitization to knock detection.

powerloss

Had my first experience today, and thought I would check in to see if it had been fixed yet. Looks like the jury is still out?

Maybe a little octane boost juice is in order, just in case I got a bad tankfull.

Brett

Thanks for stickying it Rainman. I think it's now in all the major forums, so owners will be able to get the fix if any dealers give them s*** about it. (Amazing how many dealerships still aren't aware there is a reflash available).

As mentioned in the reflash post, this only applies one specific type of powerloss. Powerloss caused by inadequete octane, or excessive charge temp (heat soak), will still occur if certain situations are met.

The powerloss, of which there is a fix for, is best reproduced in low rpm/high load situations. A good example of this would be filling your car with friends, and driving up an incline at around 2-3k rpm. In many instances, this will cause the powerloss to occur, if you've never had it occur before.

Some owners have had excessive amounts of powerloss, which may be attributed to other factors. Remember that this type of powerloss will still occur if there is sufficent knock to warrant throwing the engine in "OMFG SAVE ME" mode. It is believed (no one knows for sure), that the reflash is merely changing the sensitivity of the knock sensor, and the amount of times the knock sensor has to signal, before the car goes into heavy Mazda 6i mode.

Just got my MS6 PCM reflashed this morning, good-bye powerloss. It was such a headache with the whole losing power thing. Like a good dealership they fixed it, kinda surprising bc the Mazda dealership here isnt the best. We shall see how long the flash keeps the power loss off.

It does feel little different now though...

crossbow said:
Thanks for stickying it Rainman. I think it's now in all the major forums, so owners will be able to get the fix if any dealers give them s*** about it. (Amazing how many dealerships still aren't aware there is a reflash available).

As mentioned in the reflash post, this only applies one specific type of powerloss. Powerloss caused by inadequete octane, or excessive charge temp (heat soak), will still occur if certain situations are met.

The powerloss, of which there is a fix for, is best reproduced in low rpm/high load situations. A good example of this would be filling your car with friends, and driving up an incline at around 2-3k rpm. In many instances, this will cause the powerloss to occur, if you've never had it occur before.

Some owners have had excessive amounts of powerloss, which may be attributed to other factors. Remember that this type of powerloss will still occur if there is sufficent knock to warrant throwing the engine in "OMFG SAVE ME" mode. It is believed (no one knows for sure), that the reflash is merely changing the sensitivity of the knock sensor, and the amount of times the knock sensor has to signal, before the car goes into heavy Mazda 6i mode.

Power Loss Questions

I'm experiencing power loss like others. It's great there is a software update to help "deal" with this, but I can't help but think it's not going to keep me happy.

If the reflash just changes the sensitivity to knock does that mean we put up with knock to get the power?

If some octane boost is added to the gas, or better gas is used, will the sensor pick up on that automatically and restore the performance? I've cycled through several tanks of 93 octane - never used anything but - from several stations such as Exxon and Shell since it started and still have power loss.

I love this car but won't be happy if I must contend with this all the time. Could someone put my mind at ease that I'm worrying about nothing?

I had a few lost power issues when I first got the car and then it got real bad after I added my CAI, like every time I drove the car. I started running Sunoco 94 after that and it has been about a month and I have not had any lost power issues since. I'm not saying that Sunoco is the best, just the only place that I know I can always get 94. I know other companies sell 94, but where I live it seems like a station by station choice not a requirement.

Wonder if this will affect the CX-7 since it's basically the same engine.

I have been working on cars with disi (FSI) for over a year now for a different manufacturer. We had similiar issues on certain year/ engine with a stumble on cold start up and misfires (ignition knock). We had a reflash. It kind of worked and essentially all they did was to bump up fuel pressure. Some cars still had the cold misfire. They found that after removing the intake there were large deposits of carbon on the backsides of the intake valves. These deposites would fall of the valves go into the combustion chamber and instant misfire. Their newest theory is that after "spirited" driving when the person shifts and the car goes from high rpm to closed throttle a high vacuum is formed sucking crankcase venting (hydrocarbons) and makes the deposite on the valves. I've heard of cylinder heads being replaced, fuel injector cleaner/intake cleaner being used. Since I do not know exactly how Mazda's DISI works, but if it works like the cars I work on maybe if a Mazda tech or Mazda engineer is on here they should check this out to see if its similiar.

Thanks

I was on Mymazda.com today and they have posted the following.

There is a recall concerning:
Date: 07/21/2006
2006 - Mazdaspeed6 Lack Of Power

Back