windshield disaster

geezerz99

:
2006 MAZDA5 Sport
Driving down US50 heading home around 2300 saturday, when all of sudden "boom" and the windshield shattered. Some idiot had thrown a rock from somewhere, somehow. Glasses everywhere. The rock penetrated and luckily it didn't hit anyone, especially my wife who was riding with me with my two kids. Guess where the rock ended up... In the rear, I have my third row seats up and it traveled all the way to where it hit the back window and chipped my tint. Can ya'll believe it just shot up to the windshield, hit the center console, and then flew way to the back. Thank goodness the rock didn't hit my wife and my two kids in the back. I just cannot believe it went through the widshield. Just a friendly reminder to all to live life to the fullest and never take anything for granted. And most of all, hug your kids, love your wife coz life comes at you fast. Thank you all for reading.

Attachments

• PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 269
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 214
Glad to hear that no one got hurt...

Now can the police pull any finger prints off of the rock and track down the SOB who threw it?

My sentiments exactly, I'm also glad to hear everyone is okay...

You're right, life does come at you fast sometimes...I hope you can get the car fixed up and good as new as quick as possible :D

geezerz99 said:
Driving down US50 heading home around 2300 saturday, when all of sudden "boom" and the windshield shattered. Some idiot had thrown a rock from somewhere, somehow. Glasses everywhere. The rock penetrated and luckily it didn't hit anyone, especially my wife who was riding with me with my two kids. Guess where the rock ended up... In the rear, I have my third row seats up and it traveled all the way to where it hit the back window and chipped my tint. Can ya'll believe it just shot up to the windshield, hit the center console, and then flew way to the back. Thank goodness the rock didn't hit my wife and my two kids in the back. I just cannot believe it went through the widshield. Just a friendly reminder to all to live life to the fullest and never take anything for granted. And most of all, hug your kids, love your wife coz life comes at you fast. Thank you all for reading.

As a parent and a husband, I am really glad to hear no one was hurt. There was a case near the Toronto area that someone threw something from a bridge overpass at a vehicle on the highway. The woman was not so lucky and got hit in the face. She had to get reconstruction surgery and I am don't think they caught that idiot who threw the object.

WOW thats scary! it makes me want to spend some extra $ to get a bulletproof windshield :wink: but yea, I was on the highway a few weeks ago and some a**hole dropped over the side of the overpass, and it almost hit the car next to me. Do you think someone did this intentionally? or it flew out of a truck or a pickup??

That's crazy! Glad nobody was injured!!!

I don't think the rock came off a vehicle, usually those rocks bounce off. Also, I think he would have seen it coming if it came off another vehicle.

Wow, so sorry that happened. But, I'm glad that you and your family are okay.

the_saint said:
That's crazy! Glad nobody was injured!!!

I don't think the rock came off a vehicle, usually those rocks bounce off. Also, I think he would have seen it coming if it came off another vehicle.

I really think it had to come from another car. I don't think a person can throw a rock hard enough to match the speed of one coming from a wheel that is turning at 60+ mph. That and you going the same speed +-, that would put it at 12mph at impact. Now that would be enough to put it through you window. I'm glad your ok.

well its not that someone was standing on the side of the road, and they threw it at his car, somone probably dropped it from an overpass (bridge) and he just HAPPENED to meet the rock with his windshield.

Thank you all for your concerns and comments. Moving on and getting this replaced will be harder than i thought. No window shop has this windshield yet. So i don't really have many options but to go the dealer... $500 ya'll at least. I have to get it done though, cause being the 5 the family hauler. Peace!

Holy Fn Crap, Batman!!!

I have a nice sniper rifle in .308 if you'd like to borrow it. I'm sure you could prevent this scumbag from ever doing it again. Maybe next time he will kill someone.

Glad no injuries, sorry about your property damage.

Matt

JOS3 said:
any pics of the rock? that hole is huge. im glad everyone is ok.

Here is the rock that could've dramatically altered life for me... scaled next to a regular cd. it's pretty huge for some innocent car to drive over it and have it go airborn and hit smack on my windshield. It had to be thrown from somewhere. There was no overpass where it happened. Although, there is a regular road next to the freeway where it happened. My suspicion is it had to be thrown from there by the the angle the rock penetrated.

Attachments

• 000_0370.JPG
    000_0370.JPG
    460.1 KB · Views: 128
Holy s***!!! That's friggin HUGE!!!
Yeah, I def. think it was thrown. I don't think there is any (normal) tire that could pick up a rock like that and put it through the upper portion of your windshield.

Good god, thankfully it didn't hit anybody.

did it hit the dashboard or anything inside the car besides the people?? because if it hit the dash I could imagine some MAJOR scratches, I 100% garuntee that someone threw it, that just does'nt magically bounce out of a truck and fly through your windshield, and it looks like it hit at an angle, oh and if someone ran that over thier tire would be GONe and thier rim would be too, so yeah someone deff. threw it I hate to tell you. So what happened when it hit? was it loud? did u swerve or pull over? I can assume everyone was screaming, I woulda S*IT myself. lol

good luck with getting it fixed, and after make sure to vacum out the car real good, even though the glass is tempered it can still make minor cuts, and if you opend your windows it may fly around and hit people.

Back