Security Pkg?

JT_Driver

I just got a quote for a new Red Mazda 5. A good friend of the family who does fleet mgmt got one of his contacts to give me a price but there is something on the quote that I never heard of and I thought I would check here as I wait for the dealer to respond.

It looks like I am getting a decent deal ($25000 MSRP with $983 discount). Then they have the Pre-delivery Expense, Freight, A/C tax, Fuel tax and then the question mark...."SECURITY PKG $295". Called the dealer and he gave me some explanation about if the car gets stolen I get $5000 or something. Was difficult to understand him on his cell so I did some internet searching and then sent him an email to clarify the charge.

Can't find any info on this and am wondering if the dealer is trying to CON me.
Any thoughts out there?

JT
Ontario

ummm I sell mazda for living never heard of it.... ask your insurance company if your already covered. Otherwise its crap aka >>>> :bs:

Other thing I notice is that they add the A/C Tax and Fuel Tax and then charge GST and PST on the total. So I am paying tax on the tax?

you should go BACK to the dealer and ask a salesperson, just a normal salesperson on the lot, some of them are clueless but they mught be able to find out without bullshi*ing you too much.

My dealer wanted to charge $295 for "secure etch" which is the VIN number engraved on the glass. I said no, and they eventually marked it off the contract.

I'm not sure how much LOJACK is, but the $5,000 is what they pay you on top of your insurance if your car is stolen. It might be LOJACK.

$25 CDN sounds high. I just paid $17,629 USD for my 06 Mazda5. It is a Touring with manual tranny though.

Matt

JT

Air and Gas tax are also taxed a second time ... go figure that is our government at its best.

As for window etching well that is an add on selling thing done at some places but it is a money grab....

Canadian extra post MSRP cost
Ontario Canada
Frieght 1310
Air Tax 100
Gas Tax 75 (pending on province)
Metallic Paint 105

Rocket said:
My dealer wanted to charge $295 for "secure etch" which is the VIN number engraved on the glass. I said no, and they eventually marked it off the contract.
I had something similar, but declined the offer. no problem. Similar to "secure etch" my was engaved discretely in various locations. The dealer said if I wanted to activate this "security feature" (read: more insurance) I could call up the company and activate the account whenever I wanted. I doubt I ever will.

Zoom5Zoom said:
JT

Air and Gas tax are also taxed a second time ... go figure that is our government at its best.

As for window etching well that is an add on selling thing done at some places but it is a money grab....

Canadian extra post MSRP cost
Ontario Canada
Frieght 1310
Air Tax 100
Gas Tax 75 (pending on province)
Metallic Paint 105

no gas tax in BC. Pearl white $200. Black N/C ;)

ditto on the etching - my dealer snuck a $250 charge on the final invoice for security, and that is what it was for. he threatened to "remove" the etching if I did not pay, and I said go for it! (isn't the point of etching that you cannot remove it?) Anyways, the fee basically covers them reigstering your vehicle with the etching company for insurance reasons & is 90% profit for the dealer.

pbdave said:
ditto on the etching - my dealer snuck a $250 charge on the final invoice for security, and that is what it was for. he threatened to "remove" the etching if I did not pay, and I said go for it! (isn't the point of etching that you cannot remove it?) Anyways, the fee basically covers them reigstering your vehicle with the etching company for insurance reasons & is 90% profit for the dealer.

Isn't that what insurance is for? If it is stolen, I really don't want it back. I doubt the theives are interested in it's condition when it is found.....

JT_Driver said:
I just got a quote for a new Red Mazda 5. A good friend of the family who does fleet mgmt got one of his contacts to give me a price but there is something on the quote that I never heard of and I thought I would check here as I wait for the dealer to respond.

It looks like I am getting a decent deal ($25000 MSRP with $983 discount). Then they have the Pre-delivery Expense, Freight, A/C tax, Fuel tax and then the question mark...."SECURITY PKG $295". Called the dealer and he gave me some explanation about if the car gets stolen I get $5000 or something. Was difficult to understand him on his cell so I did some internet searching and then sent him an email to clarify the charge.

Can't find any info on this and am wondering if the dealer is trying to CON me.
Any thoughts out there?

JT
Ontario

25000 is pretty high in Ontario for a 5, I'm assuming you ordered a GT. I paid 22300 for a GT with Climate control (including "branding" the VIN ectched on every major body part and registered) considering MSRP ont the GT is ony $22,7000. Even with air and auto, MSRP is still only 24,800. Where did you purchase? doesn't sound like you tried to negtiate with them

Was98strat

In Ontario you say.....where in Ontario. And you paid 22300 for a GT Auto Climate seems quite low, like even COST.

Just a few questions:
Was it an auto or manual 5 speed?
Was it cash or finance? (if finance what term?)
Was there a trade?

Zoom5Zoom said:
In Ontario you say.....where in Ontario. And you paid 22300 for a GT Auto Climate seems quite low, like even COST.

Just a few questions:
Was it an auto or manual 5 speed?
Was it cash or finance? (if finance what term?)
Was there a trade?

My bad ( just looked at the invoice), it was 22,900 for the car with CC

Manual ( I've owned an auto before, never again)
Cash
Small trade ($700) worth (old dodge with 220,000kms on it)

I paid Dealer invoice+$450 It's not like its hard to get that deal. You just need to know what invoice is and then make an offer to several dealers and let them know they are bidding against each other for your business. I think I spent no more than 1 hour putting my deal together. It was really easy. I emailed 15 dealers in the toronto area and worked them that way. Some wouldn't deal. others would!

BTW Invoice, no matter what they tell you IS NOT dealer cost. They could sell you a car at invoice and STILL make a profit, It's all the extras they throw at you that really boost their profit. The dealer I dealt with was great, right up until signing, that's when they threw the extened warranties at me (and used a smokin hot "admin manager" or what ever at me to try and get me to buy extended warranties, electronic rust proofing ($650 worth) no thanx!

By the time all the taxes and freight are added in it's still a $28,000 car!

Gotta love the "gas tax" they throw on. Apparently it's on everything but hybrids and cars with engines under 2l displacement!

Last edited:
Zoom5Zoom said:
I dont see a great deal there sorry.....what is what you say is dealer cost.

Dealer cost on a 5 GT with CC is 22300 (according to Carcostcanada.com), MSRP on that same combo is 23,800 (The difference is only 1500 so there is not a lot of wiggle room to begin with)The first poster said they paid 25000. So it looks like they didn't negotiate anything off the MSRP. Not a good deal in my books. Trying to get an Asian dealer to go below invoice is nearly impossible, they know they have good product and the demand is there for their product, they rarely discount. What would you have considered a good deal?

Last edited:
was98strat said:
The first poster said they paid 25000. So it looks like they didn't negotiate anything off the MSRP. Not a good deal in my books.

First Poster said $25000 with $983 discount = $24017. Sorry I should have said minus the discount.

JT

Back