Wife has one request (arm rest)....

hondasarge

:
Mazda5
...for her birthday and that's to install a front passenger arm rest in her Mazda5. Has anyone attempted to adapt a rear passenger arm rest onto the front passenger seat??

Arm-Rest

I have the same problem....i thought about it, but putting any armrest may hinder the opening of the centre storage console.
If anyone has a solution let's hear it.
Anthony

Does the front driver seat have an armrest, and is it basically the same as the armrests on the middle row seats? How similar is the front passenger seat to the one behind it?

It may be a lot more complicated than you think, I know from the way the armrest was in my truck. It was one bolted to the seat that hinged down. The seat had a big steel anchor in it to hold the armrest, so there would be a lot of custom fabbing to get it onto the passenger seat. That may have been because the armrest was also the seatback for the middle seat in the front, so it might be simpler with the Mazda5.

Registered in 2002? Did you have a Protege before or something?

One solution (although, it is a stretch) would be to import a driver's seat from Japan (or any other RHD country).

Really, the only thing Mazda can and SHOULD do is re-design the center console to be taller eliminating the driver arm rest and the need for a passenger arm rest. The console is too small as it is anyways and consoles an can be easily replaced after-market.

I was reading my owner's manual last night and it says DO NOT modify/adjust/remove, well bascially DON'T MUCK with the seats due to the SRS system. There are sensors in the front seats and anything you do to them will void any type of warranty and possibly render the SRS system useless in a crash.

Although I would like a passenger armrest, my wife (who will be the passenger in almost every instance) said that she can live without one.

Matt

congrats on reading the manual and fyi mazda official reply why there are no armrests in second row is for the side curtain deployment they get in the way of safety....... well I don't have side airbags would love armrests on the outboard sides lol ;)

they should have put arm rests on both sides, i'm sure it will stop alot of rear seat passengers from looking out the window because they have nothing to rest thier arm on to rest thier face on, to do a blank stare out the window.

THATS DUMB MAZDA!!

the no arm rest thing is the stupidest thing about an otherwise wonderful car. How can an arm rest on the second row get in the way of the curtain airbag? just how far down do they go?

I am also starting to consider replacing the center console thing in the front to provide an armrest for the passenger. Has anybody actually done this yet? If it was just taller it could serve that function just fine.

There is a cheap fix. We just bought a black 'squishie' pillow for the top of the arm rest from the drug store. Works pretty well and can obviously can also be used AS a pillow for long trips.

I must be the only person that this doesn't bother. The 5 is my car, but I rode as a passenger all the way from CO to CA and never missed the armrest.

In fact in my old car my 10 year old always had her stinky feet up on my armrest, so this was much better ;)

mabye we can get a bunch of seats imported from the UK or japan and do a group buy on them! and they should be ok for the airbags too (i'm talking about the passengers seat)

Back