8" sub custom enclosure install

Kid Red

:
Mazda 5
I made a fiberglass subwoofer box for the rear passenger side compartment and popped in an Image Dynamics 8" sub. This sub needs this smallest size box I've seen to sound good. I installed an Alpine F250 (4 @50w) under the passenger seat so I have un-intrusive quality full rich sound :)

I'll try to get a walk thru up of how I made it complete with like 20 some pictures. I just wanted to get the thread going so other 5 owners can see.

These pics aren't the most recent final shots, I'll switch them out later. I've since painted the screws black so they hide and removed that grey seal at the top. It's a lot cleaner looking now.

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 9,954
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,828
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,387
  • IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3,487

I've been tweaking it slowly. I've found that it needs to be stuffed with polyfill because the enclosure is around.25 cf, but the speaker displacement is quite high. Also, I added a pad to the inside because it was vibrating on hard hitting bass, so now it's secure and the pad absorbs the vibration.

Just to note to owners, this install does ZERO permanent damage or modification to the car. I can take the enclosure out and put the little door panel back in place and you'd never be the wiser.

Sweet! I've been thinking about the same thing ever since I got my last couple copies of car audio mag. They did something pretty similar, but it was definitely permanent. I really like that your mod isn't permanent - since the car is so new I'm really hesitant to make permanent changes.

Let us know when you have some pics up.

Looks great Red! The airspace looks about right for the 8" sub. How does it sound now that you've added the sound deadener and polyfill?

Wow - really great work! - Have you ever done that kind of stuff before or was it just by following directions somewhere? It looks awesome!

chuyler1- I can definitely tell a difference changing the foam batting for the Polyfill. The Polyfill is so more more airy itself so it seems to create more space for the air. The sound did tighten up noticeably. THe deadener hopefully will eliminate any vibrations and also kill the fiberglass sound some talk about. I think I'll add some more Poly in there just for good measure. I forgot to take the driver displacement into account and the ID8 is fairly big. I wonder about removing that plastic driver cap and gaining the additional air space.

I do have to give props to chuyler1 and 1sty for all their help in the main audio forum.

miatafied- Nope, never touched fiberglass before. I read up and asked questions and those guys answered a lot. It's not difficult, it's preparation, time and patience. Thanks for the compliments.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll be gaining much by removing the plastic cap to the driver. It is very thin and doesn't take up much volume.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure how much empty space it was covering underneath. I still want to stuff some more Poly in and see what affect it has.

There is space under the pastic cap...but it is not sealed in any way so it wouldn't be included in the overall displacement of the subwoofer. For sealed enclosures, exact volume is not very important anyway. Changing the volume by as much as .25cuft will make very little difference in the frequency response.

Back