BOV - Wasted by many?

PerfectXtreme

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
I've been doing reading... research.. and asking lots of questions.... From what most things read.. and most people say... BOV has very little.. if anything to do with performance... its all for sound... With larger turbos... you need larger BOV's... so its a required part of the engine... but....

My question is.. why are people spending 300 bucks on these things... to Recirc them? Basically on most cars.. a BOV upgrade... is usually for the sound.... And seems like a waste to me... 300 bucks... for a logo on an upgraded BOV that sounds next to stalk....

upgraded BOV will have benefits like faster response more reliability. The BOV/BPV is there to stop compressor surge. That is when the compressed air is pushed back towards the turbo when the throttle plates close. Its bad bad bad for turbo. Mr. BOV/BPV stops that, and a quality aftermarket one will outperform the stocker any day. :D

You can get the Greddy Type S/RS, HKS SSQV and other knock-off BOVs for fairly cheap on eBay.

buttthrax said:
I always thought the blow off valve was to protect the hardware. (confused)

Well i forgot to mention that... It was my understanding that improved / upgraded BOV's did help to protect the life of a turbo... and in some ways.. provide a very small benefit...

Anyway... I am going to try recirc for a while... see if I notice any improvements.. or changes in how the system runs...

MSPBlazinYellow said:
the LAST reason you should be buying a BOV is for sound........

I've heard of ricers buying fake blow off valves just to make the noise from their non-turbo rice cars :wtf:

*sigh*..

Stock speed6... with BOV VTA... sounds perfect.. as far as BOV sounds go.... add CAI with BOV VTA.. sound changes for some reason.... not as good.. but ok...

CAI.. with BOV Recirc.... still hear it... but sounds.... like my friends evo VTA... sputters...

ANYWAY.... maybe with some added Boost... and ECU chip / tuning... i'll get full use of upgraded BOV...

Yeah I keep meaning to do it... I'll get my GF over here to hold a camera while I drive by a few times or something.... see if it picks anything up inside.... its pretty loud.. but camera audio isn't the greatest

Also note that if your BOV leaks like they do for old turbo Mits Eclipse then you will lose power. As the pressure builds up the air would move back into the intake instead of your cylinders where you want it. I really don't understand the BOV that releases to atmosphere, to me it would just cause a gas rich situation and carbon build up. On my Eclipse I switch to an open element intake and I can hear the BOV just fine as it spits the air back into the intake.

Back