Things I've hit with my Mazda5/things that have hit my Mazda5

Wuster

:
Whitewater Pearl Mazda5 Touring
I was driving home to Northern, VA from MD last night when I hit two birds in flight.

In my 20 years of driving, this was the first time I have ever hit birds...not to mention birds in flight. (I don't have any good encounters with wildlife. Two years ago, I hit a 8 point buck coming home from work one night.)

It was the strangest thing. I was driving through Poolesville, MD (a small town with a lot of mature trees) when two birds flew down from a tree directly in front of us. I didn't even get the chance to hit the brakes before I heard a thump from the front.

I pulled over and didn't see any damage to the hood or front facia. I can only guess that they hit the front license plate.

Has anyone else ever hit birds?(dunno)

Last edited:
I've hit one in my Protege with the LX front end. Didn't do anything, though.

The funniest thing i've had happen to me with birds in flight: I was driving along I-49 north with a late-90's Camry in front of me. If you've ever driven I-49, it's nothing but open farmland on both sides... Anyway, I glance up just in time to see a white crane swoop down from the right to about 30 feet in the air. It lines up with the Camry and bombs a large one directly onto the car! White s*** flew directly at the car and splattered all over the place. I saw it and swerved over to the left lane in time to avoid the brakelights, but caught some on my windsheild. I had washer fluid, the chick in the Camry did not... We both pulled into the nearest rest stop/gas station and laughed like crazy. Needless to say she had fun cleaning up and promptly bought washer fluid at the station. It was hilarious...

I hit some sort of gull with the antenna of my Rodeo at freeway speed several years ago. There are a lot of birds of that sort always flying in flocks around the Great Salt Lake. The flock swerved to miss me... all except one. Instant cloud of feathers in the rear view. The guy behind me must have been thinking WTF.

My husband was driving with the driver's window open and the passenger's window closed. A bird flew into his window, right across his face, then hit the passenger's window and died in the seat. It almost caused him to have an accident because the bird was so close to his face. He was really very lucky that he didn't become so disconcerted that he ended up losing control of the car. (He was also lucky that I wasn't in the passenger's seat because I would have "freaked out" and probably caused the accident. Just the thought of that bird hitting the window and possibly ending up in my lap...)

you know how when birds sit in the street, you drive towards them and they move? well when i was visiting my sister in hawaii i was driving her mustang convertible to the beach....and one of the birds didnt move. ran that son'b**** right over.

LMAO. I thought I was the only one that hit a flying bird. Glad Im not alone then. I was just driving home one afternoon when I saw a crow in the middle of the street. Usually birds will fly away when a car approaches them, but when I was approaching it, it didnt even move. So I let off the gas when I got closer and then, thump. It didnt take off in time and it hit my windshield. I dont know if I killed it or anything. Looked in my rearview and didnt see anything.

Then the next day, I ran over a little squirl. Didnt get out of the road in time. It might have just been my bad week.

hit one the otherday for the first time! square hit on the flat part of the front bumper! between the fog hole, center grill, headlight and hood. The nice and flat part. Hit it and it exploded! feathers everywhere! stoped at a stoplight about 2 miles later and it was a little windy so there were feathers still all over the place! quite a scene! look at the car and there is guts/birdshit all over the bumper! lol

not too fast. like 60 maby 65 or so. the bird was kind of flring at an angle at me.

Wuster said:
I was driving home to Northern, VA from MD last night when I hit two birds in flight.
hey there!! you should come out and meet MEC people!!

I was waiting for the train in atlanta and a piegon landed right next to me and I was like, "Thats cool." then the train started coming and he hopped right down in the middle of the tracks. I thought that was ballsy but I figured he would move before the train came....nope.

I hit a skunk once when I had a small pickup. It was at night and I thought it was a black and white cat or something. I've never smelled skunk smell before or if I did I didn't know what it was. Well he let every last ounce go before he knocked off. Reminded me of magic markers or something. Not what I expected but it certainly was potent.

Dude, you guys are so good because everytime I try to hit the birds on the road, I always miss =p Perhaps I should try it with the mazda5 instead of my p5

I nailed a pegion while passing somebody. It Just flew in front of me in like a swoop. I hit the brakes, but that didnt change anything, It when thump then both wheels on the left side whent over it, it was kinda errie even though it was a bird. I pulled over and there was no damage, but there was some white dust or something that came off the bird that had the shape of a wing in it.

Ive since keep a better eye out for them (Sometimes there is nothing you can do)

Rac3rX said:
Ive since keep a better eye out for them (Sometimes there is nothing you can do)

I have been working for years to learn not to react instantly to anything that pops out on the road. if it's in front of me i am going to hit it. i've seen soccer moms in their giant ass SUV's swerve a lane over violently to miss a stick or something stupid like that. you do that one to many times and the other lane is going to be the opposite direction and occupied.

neoturner said:
I have been working for years to learn not to react instantly to anything that pops out on the road. if it's in front of me i am going to hit it. i've seen soccer moms in their giant ass SUV's swerve a lane over violently to miss a stick or something stupid like that. you do that one to many times and the other lane is going to be the opposite direction and occupied.

Im GLAD I dont live close to you...(ughdance)

Back