Tint Advice...

zda

Hi Mazda5'ers,

I'm too tired to do the research, so it'd be great if any of you can provide advice.

I want to tint the windows on my Mazda5, to help reduce heat inside the vehicle during the summer.

What should I be on the look out for?

I know nothing about tinting, but am assumming there are different types of film, can someone teach me the basics?

Do all tints come with a lifetime warranty?

I don't know what the legal limits are for the places I drive (VA, MD, DC), but I'm guessing the shop will let me know that. Should I go as dark as legally allowed, or are there other considerations?

Anything to consider when choosing a shop to do the work?

How much should I expect to spend?

Thanks!

let us know where you are from and maybe someone can recommend a good place around you to get it done

expect to spend $175-300 for a decent job with lifetime warranty

Tinting in the DC Metro Area...

NoRotor said:
let us know where you are from and maybe someone can recommend a good place around you to get it done

expect to spend $175-300 for a decent job with lifetime warranty

I'm in the Washington, DC area... specifically Northern Virginia.

By the way, one more question... tinting does make a noticable difference in the temperature of the interior, right? I'm not wasting time, I hope!

To my fellow Northern Viriginian,

Here is the shop that I used to tint my last three cars (including the 5)

http://www.latint.com/

I've used their shops in Manassas and Sterling. I got the Ultimate series flim for all three cars and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

You should also know that they're stickler about following the tint laws. I tried to get darker tink on the back windows of the 5, but they wouldn't do it, because it's classified as a wagon.

PS - it costs about $289 for tinting the 5. The tint they use isn't dyed, so it will never fade and it comes with a lifetime manufacture warranty. There is also a warranty on the installation. If it ever bubbles or peels, they'll replace it for free.

Last edited:
I'd definitely ge the tint done on the 5...These cars let in too much natural light for my tastes...

I'm getting my tint done this afternoon...I got quoted $240.00 even to do the entire car with 3M film with a lifetime non-fade warranty and lifetime replacement including labor if it ever peels, cracks, or bubbles...I'm going to go with 30% tint all around so everything matches perfectly...It is dark, and anything on the front windows here in California is illegal, but I have had the same tint done on every car I've owned and have yet to be pulled over for it...Thank god the police around here aren't interested in minivan-esque cars with dark windows ;)

I did mine 2 weeks ago for $200.00 with a lifetime warranty. It looks great and it's 1 shade short of "limo" black.

I have ordered a custom graphic for the rear liftgate window. I'm wondering if I should let a custom installer do this. It installs outside I believe and is a heavy decal type application. Anybody have experience with these?(dunno)

If it is the type I have used it really is no big deal to
put it on yourself. The letters or graphic are transferred
to a backer and you peel off the cover and smooth the
letters onto the car. I use a wallpaper smoothie for this
just to make sure there are no air bubbles.

Just make sure you know exactly where you are going
to put the graphic, because once it hits the car you will ruin it by
attempting to remove it.

maz1.jpg

Now please forgive me my 5 is filthy right now but rest assured
that I will be washing it later after the sun goes down a little.

Cheers,
Robin

Thanks Robin. THe graphic is designed for the rear window (one of those with the bazillion little holes in it) to keep prying eye's out while being see-through from inside. Does that make any difference?

I have never used that type of graphic before.
I am thinking about using the same thing as you are
talking about for my rear side windows. The product
is very expensive up here in Canada and I personally
would pay the $ to let a pro install it. At least that
way if they screw it up, it is up to them to fix it.

My$.02

Robin

Well I've done 35% front, 20% to the rest and it looks great. You are hard pressed to tell the difference from the outside. Here in PA 35% is legal, so that;s why I did that up front. Cost me $249.00 for Johnson film.

I've always heard the 'rumor' that 70% was the law in PA, although my own research into the PA Vehicle Code shows that there is no actual set percentage number, it states...
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other
material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the
windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

FWIW I'm planning about 20-30% in the back and 50% on the front.

Last edited:
jandree22 said:
I've always heard the 'rumor' that 70% was the law in PA, although my own research into the PA Vehicle Code shows that there is no actual set percentage number, it states...

FWIW I'm planning about 20-30% in the back and 50% on the front.

Thats what I did 50% on the front and 20% on the back.

Attachments

• Hitch004.jpg
    Hitch004.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 197
We did 20% on the back, 35% on the driver and front pass windows. It's a little more expensive than on the average car because the Mazda has so many windows... they generally base the cost on the number of panes of glass they have to measure and fit tint to. The Mazda has: small window by mirror on front door (2), main front windows(2), main backdoor windows(2), non-moving backdoor windowpane (2), 3rd row windows (2), and hatch. That's 9 seperate panes of glass that have to be tinted, plus the top.

It's a far cry from my old Civic coupe.

Anyway, the tint helps greatly with the A/C issues, as before the A/C seemed barely able to keep the interior bearable, particularly for back row passengers, and now it's pretty comfortable inside.

Back