3.5L V6 now rated at 265 HP

Mazda3

:
2007 CX-7 GT and 2008 Tribute GT AWD
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Ford's new 3.5-litre V6 rated at 265 hp on regular grade fuel [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
Dearborn, Michigan - Ford's new 3.5-litre V6 engine is now officially rated at 265 horsepower on 87-octane regular grade fuel, announced the company. The engine will power the new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers and the Lincoln MKZ sedan when they debut this Fall.
Some competitors require more expensive mid-grade or premium fuels to achieve their top ratings, said the company.
The horsepower and torque figures were obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's new J1349 standard, with an official third party witness present.
The engine achieves impressive horsepower and torque without complex devices used by the competition like variable intake geometry, exhaust variable cam timing (VCT) or variable flow exhaust systems. Ford's new V-6 engine was designed to be compatible with direct injection and turbocharged direct injection technology, which leaves open the possibility of even higher power and torque output in the future.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060413-3.htm
[/FONT]

Most importantly...

Ford's new V-6 engine was designed to be compatible with direct injection and turbocharged direct injection technology, which leaves open the possibility of even higher power and torque output in the future.

I really hope that this engine makes it into the next gen Mazda6. I think I remember reading that they designed the 3.5 to take up no more space than the 3.0 so that it was an easy upgrade.

KanseiZM said:
I really hope that this engine makes it into the next gen Mazda6. I think I remember reading that they designed the 3.5 to take up no more space than the 3.0 so that it was an easy upgrade.

I want to see it in the Mazda6, Fusion, Milan, Ecsape, and Mustang as well. Ford will be replacing the 3.0 in the 500, Freestyle, and Montego with the 3.5. The Lincoln Zepyhr will be getting a name change to the MKS and it will have the 3.5 as well.

Last edited:
I think I saw it on this board or somewhere that the Mazdaspeed line will continue in the Mazda 6, not just 2007. Maybe they'll use the turbo-4 for 2 more years (4 years in total) and put out a DISI V6 Mazdaspeed 6!!!

If the new Mazda6 gets this engine and keeps it same cool styling and sweet driving dynamics, I might have found my next car.

Renesis8 said:
I think I saw it on this board or somewhere that the Mazdaspeed line will continue in the Mazda 6, not just 2007. Maybe they'll use the turbo-4 for 2 more years (4 years in total) and put out a DISI V6 Mazdaspeed 6!!!

I guess that is possible, but wouldn't make much sense if the new V6 is rated at 265 and the DISI turbo 4 in the current ms6 is rated at 274. Not enough of a difference in power between the regular 6 and the ms version unless they up the power on the current DISI engine. From what I hear the current MZR DISI can handle power well over the 300 hp mark.

Let's hope they just turbocharge the new ford V6 for the next gen ms6...340 hp awd ms6 anyone?!?!(shocked)

so they're bragging about how awesome their low tech V6 is? c'mon... they should know better that V6 engines are highly contested in the very competitive mid-sized sedan market... honda and nissan have powerful V6s with less displacement, plus have the high tech s*** in it with marketing names that ring bells to potential customers... people buying midsizes buy the V6s for power but also the "cool" sounding "high tech" names... slap some variable valve timing and tuned intake manifolds in it so we can get 300+hp then that engine will be respectable in the horsepower wars... really 265hp is pathetic when you think about the hp to liter ratio

Yeah Honda, Lexus, and Nissan are getting 300+ hp from their 3.5 V6's. Whats so complicated about a vtc system? Everyone has them now, even low-tech GM
has them. Sounds like a way to save money to me.

^^ most of those engines do require premium fuel to get that kind of power (even the 265hp from the current Nissan 3.5 VQ-DE)... and most people don't want to pay for premium fuel or just won't put premium fuel in even if the car maker recommends it. Getting 265hp on 87 is kinda cool.. I get like 100whp on 93 hahaha

Kansei said:
^^ most of those engines do require premium fuel to get that kind of power (even the 265hp from the current Nissan 3.5 VQ-DE)... and most people don't want to pay for premium fuel or just won't put premium fuel in even if the car maker recommends it. Getting 265hp on 87 is kinda cool.. I get like 100whp on 93 hahaha

Thats an excellent point. I'm definatly satisfied with 265 hp on 87 octane. Thats just fine for me. As long as it's a strong reliable block, a 265hp NA mazda6 with great handling dynamics and smooth styling would suit me just fine as a next car. If only it was RWD *sigh*

Yeah it makes sense when you consider...

Kansei said:

..the current gas prices. Sure gas may have gone down a bit over the last couple of weeks but I doubt we'll ever see gas prices below $2.00. This engine is designed with that in mind.

Gaboost said:
Yeah Honda, Lexus, and Nissan are getting 300+ hp from their 3.5 V6's. Whats so complicated about a vtc system? Everyone has them now, even low-tech GM
has them. Sounds like a way to save money to me.

my sentiments exactly... plus you can have all of the "high tech" s*** in the engine and still have it run on watered down gas! it's a simple matter of ECU tuning! hey, mazda did it with the 2.3l engines... they made it have higher compression and variable valve timing yet still run on regular gas!

TheMAN said:
so they're bragging about how awesome their low tech V6 is? c'mon... they should know better that V6 engines are highly contested in the very competitive mid-sized sedan market... honda and nissan have powerful V6s with less displacement, plus have the high tech s*** in it with marketing names that ring bells to potential customers... people buying midsizes buy the V6s for power but also the "cool" sounding "high tech" names... slap some variable valve timing and tuned intake manifolds in it so we can get 300+hp then that engine will be respectable in the horsepower wars... really 265hp is pathetic when you think about the hp to liter ratio

nice to see i am not the only disappointed one on these numbers

Captain KRM P5 said:
nice to see i am not the only disappointed one on these numbers

Just how much horsepower do we need in our sedans and family cars anyway. I mean I think the HO numbers are just fine and for those who just must have more power, well thats what turbos are for.

I like HP as much as the next guy but I think that this engine will do just fine. And if it does keep the prices down, that another plus for me.

VermZ06 said:
I guess that is possible, but wouldn't make much sense if the new V6 is rated at 265 and the DISI turbo 4 in the current ms6 is rated at 274. Not enough of a difference in power between the regular 6 and the ms version unless they up the power on the current DISI engine. From what I hear the current MZR DISI can handle power well over the 300 hp mark.

Let's hope they just turbocharge the new ford V6 for the next gen ms6...340 hp awd ms6 anyone?!?!(shocked)

They could give the MZR DISI more power easily, and also the DISI is a lot more powerful than the V6, the V6 develops power near its redline, just as all the NA engines, turbocharged engines have a lot bigger area under their horsepower/torque curve, its not always about peak hp and tq. Also TC-ed motors are more tuner friendly. And the DISI is a LOT more torquey than the V6. Some of the Mazdaspeed 6 are already seeing near 400lb/ft of crank torque. And 350+hp with bolt-ons and no tuning. The motor has A LOT of potential.

Renesis8 said:
They could give the MZR DISI more power easily, and also the DISI is a lot more powerful than the V6, the V6 develops power near its redline, just as all the NA engines, turbocharged engines have a lot bigger area under their horsepower/torque curve, its not always about peak hp and tq. Also TC-ed motors are more tuner friendly. And the DISI is a LOT more torquey than the V6. Some of the Mazdaspeed 6 are already seeing near 400lb/ft of crank torque. And 350+hp with bolt-ons and no tuning. The motor has A LOT of potential.

Where are these 6's, are they on this board? I want to see what the speed6 can do.

MS6freak of this board should be pushing close to these numbers, we'll have to wait for him to get on the dyno. 320ish lb/ft of torque at the wheels would translate to around 400 at the crank, with the AWD drivetrain loss, using 20%. Hes running 13.30 @104.5.

Donas64 said:
Just how much horsepower do we need in our sedans and family cars anyway. I mean I think the HO numbers are just fine and for those who just must have more power, well thats what turbos are for.

I like HP as much as the next guy but I think that this engine will do just fine. And if it does keep the prices down, that another plus for me.

265hp out of a 3.0l V6 running *regular gas* is fine, but not a ******* 3.5l beast... its common knowledge that as you up the displacement, the more fuel mileage suffers... and that matters to HALF the people these days when oil prices are so volatile.... what those people and I want is an EFFICIENT engine (which equates to economical) that makes good power at a smaller displacement

displacement is not everything and "no replacement for displacement" is an old saying that isn't "end to be all" anymore as it was

ever since the KL 2.5l mazda has made in the 90s, I haven't seen one good V6 mazda has been *selling*.... all the V6s since the KL days have been FORD engines which are all garbage... they're all anemic! go drive *any* 2nd gen MPV and you'll see how craptastic they are... and the tribute and mazda6 V6s aren't all that fast either... the *smaller* KL actually had better usable power despite the fact that it produces less power... sad that they stopped making them because it costed so much to build

265 HP is the watered down high fuel economy version of this motor. There will be higher 300+ HP versions of this motor offered in the CX-9 and the new 6 about a year down the line. This motor is not low tech, anyone who thinks it is needs do some research. There will be a 2009 Mazdaspeed 6 with the DISI turbo treatment pushing close to 400 HP.

Honda and Nissan do NOT offer a V6 in there regular line-up with over 265 HP and there V6's are premium reccomended for optimum performance. The 300 HP versions of these motors are in the Acura and Ifiniti line-up. As I said Mazda will offer higher HP 3.5L, it just won't be in the first model year.

Latest posts

Back