Requesting roof rack pics

Kid Red

:
Mazda 5
Anyone have a roof rack and care to share pics? I'd also like to see some boxes mounted to the rack. I know Mazda has a long silver one and short black one, I'd just like to see them first. I'm thinking about a roof rack and box in the future.

Kid Red said:
Anyone have a roof rack and care to share pics? I'd also like to see some boxes mounted to the rack. I know Mazda has a long silver one and short black one, I'd just like to see them first. I'm thinking about a roof rack and box in the future.
+1. I could've really used that on my last trip. And I'm also wondering if the rack is easily removable since I wouldn't want it on unless taking a trip..

The factory Thule rack is very simple to install...and once installed can be removed and reinstalled in about 5 minutes with no tools. I mount my 2 Thule Bigmouth bike racks or my Thule Frontier roof box to it. I could acutally mount the box and 1 rack at the same time if necessary. The Frontier is long and thin and is at least the length of the entire roof, but works really well.

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 512
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 504
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 471
  • thulefrontier.jpg
    thulefrontier.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 360
prulex- Thanks for the pics. Too bad you don't have a pic of the box mounted on your 5. How is the wind noise on the highway with the racks by themselves and with a box mounted? Is there a noticeable wind push with the box? I like the idea that it can be un-installed so quickly, so if I hate how it looks, I'm not married to it unless I need it.

Roof Racks

Kid Red said:
prulex- Thanks for the pics. Too bad you don't have a pic of the box mounted on your 5. How is the wind noise on the highway with the racks by themselves and with a box mounted? Is there a noticeable wind push with the box? I like the idea that it can be un-installed so quickly, so if I hate how it looks, I'm not married to it unless I need it.

Hi Kid-Red,
I have the factory racks and they are quite easy to install/remove.
I've used them this winter with a ski attachment, and the wind noise is quite considerable...Even without the ski attachment. So I removed them as soon as possible.
Anthony

The lone time I actually had the box on the rack was when I first bought it...I just haven't needed it yet. I bought it primarily if I will be needing to fill all 6 seats with people and still have room for cargo. So I can't tell you how it affects the driving characteristics...especially on the highway. The wind noise from the racks by themselves is noticeably increased, but only slightly. I'm pretty sensitive to road, wind and interior noises, so if it hasn't bothered me, chances are it won't bother you either. When I've gone on an intermediate or long road trip I have just taken the racks off to decrease wind noise and drag. I'll attach the box this weekend and snap a few photos...maybe I'll even drive with it on a little bit because now you've got me curious.

Awesome posts guys, thanks.

Prulex- my exact thoughts. We go down to see my folks for Christmas every other year and it's 2 adults, 2 children and 1 small dog. THat would leave only one 3rd row seat down for storage. Then, trying to fill the car with presents received (especially children's gifts) usually is too much. Having the cargo box thing should really help out.

How do you guys store the box when you don't use it? Does it snap into two separate pieces? Maybe make a shelf attaching to the garage ceiling?

I put the box on this weekend and drove around with it a bit. It increases wind noise surprislingly little and does not appear to affect driving characteristics..I actually forgot it was up there a few times. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
prulex- very awesome, thanks! Ah carbon grey, our second color choice. Looks sharp with the rack surprisingly.

Ya know, I think I saw you on I-4 about 1 month ago. Carbon grey, stubby antenna and chrome door handles, roof rack, I saw you haha!

Is that the Thule sold by Mazda? I'd want one wider, about the width of the roof. I wonder how the short squatty one looks, probably not as sleek as this slender one.

How do you store your box when not suing it? I'd hate to lose garage space.

The wider box in this series, the Excursion, is 55"(L)x35"(W). Mine is the Frontier--88"(L)x21"(W). I bought it at Sports Authority for under $200. I opted for the Frontier so that I am able to put both the box and one bike rack on at the same time. As far as storage goes, I happen to have a space in my garage between my work bench and water heater where I store it vertically. Takes up surprisingly little space. Word of advice...don't lose the keys after you put it on your rack...like I did Saturday. Looks like it will remain on the car until I receive the new keys from Thule.

I everyone

In Canada, only Mazda sell the rack for $465.00!!!(shocked)
So is Thule selling it in the states, how mutch would I expect to pay for.

Thank you.

Awesome, thanks for the info. So Sports Authority, uh, I'll have to pop in there and see what they have. You picked up the rack from Mazda I assume?

I got the rack from online mazdaparts for $280 incl shipping.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=317755&siteid=214264&catalogid=3987

I'd like to try out one of those roof luggage baskets - but it's the same price as the hardtop carriers - anyone ever try out both - which one was actually better to use in real life?

basket:

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=317754&siteid=214264&catalogid=3987

hardtop cargo box:

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=317747&siteid=214264&catalogid=3987

I see the short black box, where's the long silver box? Anyone know the exact color of that box? It looks like the Stellar Platinum which I have and it looked like they matched.

Yakima has a great set of accessories for roof racks. However, they do not yet make the clips for the Q-Clip Tower system. I've been waiting... and waiting... and well - you get the idea... and after 9 months since the 5's debut in N.A. still no clips. I'd hate to have to spend $500 for a new rack system when I already have everything except for the clips.

The roof-top box I have is called "SpaceCase" and its HUGE - would likely take up the entire rack space on the Thule rack. This is why I'm waiting on the Yakima so that I can get longer bars and hopefully be able to have 2 bike plus the box for those week long camping excursions!!

I'll post whatever I learn about the Yakima option when it becomes available... but that could be years...

Oh yeah... and thanks for all the awesome pics!! Carbon Grey is very nice!!!

Last edited:
K, I got my rack, just installed it. Question, did everyone here use that clear film stuff under each foot?

UPDATE

Still nothing from Yakima for those interested. (May 14, 2006)

Also, the reason I'm posting this about Yakima is for those interested in having longer bars for the rack. Longer bars means you can put more of your 'crap' on the roof.

The Mazda rack would only hold my cargo box and not leave room for anything else.

I'm looking to be able to hold my cargo box + kayak (on its side) or my cargo box + 2 bikes.

I'm sure there are others out there interested in maximizing your carrying ability on the rack. (uhm)

prulex said:
The wider box in this series, the Excursion, is 55"(L)x35"(W). Mine is the Frontier--88"(L)x21"(W). I bought it at Sports Authority for under $200. I opted for the Frontier so that I am able to put both the box and one bike rack on at the same time. As far as storage goes, I happen to have a space in my garage between my work bench and water heater where I store it vertically. Takes up surprisingly little space. Word of advice...don't lose the keys after you put it on your rack...like I did Saturday. Looks like it will remain on the car until I receive the new keys from Thule.

Is the Excursion the one Mazda sells? It's 35" wide but the rear roof rack isn't 35" wide, so how does it fit? Does the box overlap on the rear or something? I'm trying to decide if I go local and get a box and if so, what size, or do I order the one Mazda sells and hope it's not over priced.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
UPDATE

Still nothing from Yakima for those interested. (May 14, 2006)

Also, the reason I'm posting this about Yakima is for those interested in having longer bars for the rack. Longer bars means you can put more of your 'crap' on the roof.

The Mazda rack would only hold my cargo box and not leave room for anything else.

I'm looking to be able to hold my cargo box + kayak (on its side) or my cargo box + 2 bikes.

I'm sure there are others out there interested in maximizing your carrying ability on the rack. (uhm)
Hey Mike wonder if you are pushing the maximum weight rating of the original rack by adding the cargo and a couple of bikes......just wondering if it is impossible to keep an enlarged rack in a safe max weight requirement spec?

Latest posts

Back