TPMS + switching wheels?

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
I thought that this was touched on before, but I couldn't find the discussion?

I have the Tire Pressure Monitoring system and I want to switch out the rims between seasons - can I do it - I'm a little foggy (or alot) on how the system works.

I don't want to switch rims then have the TPMS light always on!

The TPMS sensors are actually in the valve stem and have nothing to do with the rims, so you just need to move the valve stems over to your new rims. You shouldn't have a problem.

I talked to Jason at onlinemazdaparts.com. I really want to have 2 separate sets of wheels/tires and not have to move valve stems. According to Jason the valve stems w/ sensors cost $60+ each and would not necessarily fit in aftermarket rims. For now, I'm just gonna keep my eyes open for OEM rims from a 3/5/or 6 and switch off just the tires for the summer. If I can't find a cheap set of OEM rims then I'll just get steelies for the winter.

Anyone here have TPMS and switch to steels for the winter?

I was just browsing around and figured someone would have bought a 5 and put aftermarket wheels on it and posted their OE wheels on EBAY, but couldn't find anything. I want a set of winter tires for inclement weather also.

Matt

I know this is going to sound weird, but I just got my Mazda 5 and was wondering about the TPMS...Is this a standard feature on the touring model, or an option??? Can anyone let me know how I can find if I have it on my car??? :D

Thanks!!! (and I'm sorry if I derailed the thread in any way)

DAN

Dan,

TPMS only comes with the Mazda5 Touring with Nav systems.

MD5,

As for OEM wheels for the Mazda5, I think you'll have better luck checking the for sale threads of a couple Mazda3 forums. Mazda has offered TPMS for the Mazda3 since 04 and the 05 & 06 Mazda3 SP23 comes standard with TMPS. I really like the SP23 wheels.

RX8 wheels are where it's at :cool:

Attachments

• 5rx8.jpg
    5rx8.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,341
MD5 said:
I was just browsing around and figured someone would have bought a 5 and put aftermarket wheels on it and posted their OE wheels on EBAY, but couldn't find anything. I want a set of winter tires for inclement weather also.

Matt

I was toying with the idea of putting some 16" rota slipstream 45+ offset on the 5. Do you guys think it will fit? If it does, I can switch it, then take the tires off the stock 5 rims, and put those tires on my msp rims, then put them on my protege 5. I just needed to confirm that the 16" will fit.....

does anyone know the bolt pattern and the offset are the same as the protege 5 or not?

the_saint said:
RX8 wheels are where it's at :cool:
Those look like my stock rims, what's the difference?

Dumb question, but I'm more curious about switching out just the tires to something with better grip and less noise but same size and look. That won't affect the TPMS will it?

Kid Red said:
Those look like my stock rims, what's the difference?

Dumb question, but I'm more curious about switching out just the tires to something with better grip and less noise but same size and look. That won't affect the TPMS will it?
Those are factory RX8 wheels. They're 18x8 and have a different spoke design.

AFAIK tires will not affect TPMS.

18s? Whoa, that must be sweet. Yea, I san see the subtle difference on the rims. Cool. Any good tires that I should know about? I like the thread look of the Toyos, but want better traction and better road noise if possible. What tires do Beamers use?

TPMS wheel switch OK mazda 5

We have a Mazda 5 (the tall wagon, not the Miata). The stock "racing" tire size is expensive and wears quickly. Swapped out for 16" wheels and tires from TireRack (at very reasonable prices). The old rims/stems have TPMS, the new ones don't. I thought we would have to live with the TPMS light on (who cares, we have black tape...). But someone in Mazda engineering gets praise for thinking this one through correctly. With the non-TPMS-equipped wheels on the car, the sensor is NOT lit. That is, apparently to light the sensor you have to both have the sensors and a problem. No sensors, no problem indicated. Yay.

Now if someone can help me figure out how to remove the valve stems (with TPMS) from the old rims, I'll sell the rims off on Ebay. I figure that I can put the TPMS-equipped valve stems on to my "new" rims next time I replace the tires. Fortunately that is going to be a good long while.

I talked to Jason at onlinemazdaparts.com. I really want to have 2 separate sets of wheels/tires and not have to move valve stems. According to Jason the valve stems w/ sensors cost $60+ each and would not necessarily fit in aftermarket rims. For now, I'm just gonna keep my eyes open for OEM rims from a 3/5/or 6 and switch off just the tires for the summer. If I can't find a cheap set of OEM rims then I'll just get steelies for the winter.

Anyone here have TPMS and switch to steels for the winter?

TPMS is standard on ALL vehicles built after September 2007. It was of course only included in various trim levels or option packages on prior model years.

You can get a set of 4 TPMS sensors on eBay for about $100 and they will likely fit most aftermarket wheels. No programming required. Just put them on and go.

I could care less about TPMS.

So my plan was to have a summer set of 18" rims and a winter set of stock OEM 17" w/ studless snows... or other 16" rims/steelies w/ studless snows.

If this is true - that the light does not illluminate unless TPMS are installed and there is a problem - I'm set! It would seem redundant to have two sets of wheels/tires w/ two TPMS's.

Yahoo if this is correct.
m.

I could care less about TPMS...
So you really like TPMS?

It's OK, I guess, but not worth the extra expense in my opinion.

bought_her_a_5 said:
...We have a Mazda 5 (the tall wagon, not the Miata). The stock "racing" tire size is expensive and wears quickly. Swapped out for 16" wheels and tires from TireRack (at very reasonable prices).
Which wheels / tires did you get, and please post a picture of your new wheels / tires. I was considering downsizing my wheels once my stock tires go bad.

The old rims/stems have TPMS, the new ones don't. I thought we would have to live with the TPMS light on (who cares, we have black tape...). But someone in Mazda engineering gets praise for thinking this one through correctly. With the non-TPMS-equipped wheels on the car, the sensor is NOT lit. That is, apparently to light the sensor you have to both have the sensors and a problem. No sensors, no problem indicated. Yay.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've experienced but not having the sensor in the tire present is the same as a complete part failure which would be counter to what is written in the Mazda5 manual:

"Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to
indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists. When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly"

Bummer.

I will find out for sure pretty soon. I have new rims that will not get TMPS - and once on the car, I'll post up again.

I can say for sure that any wheel installed on a MZ5 Touring without the TPMS valve stems will cause the dash light to stay on, (I taped over it with blacked-out painter's tape to reduce any potential adhesive transfer when I remove it later on).
My '06 stayed on for 3+ years and the dealer said there is no way to turn it off.

Back