Shark Fin Antenna or Stubby Antenna

808mz5

:
Mazda 5
After debating for the last few weeks between a shortened antenna or the sharkfin antenna, I just placed an order for the shark fin antenna.

Researching on the board, there were a few comments that the shark fin had better recepiton than a stubby plus I think it has a cleaner look.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I install it.

interesting...so it fits over the existing antenna base.

I'd be curious to see how well it works.

I'm also curious to know if the antenna base is where the GPS antenna is for the navi system. If so, how would the shark fin affect navi system performance.

looks nice i have to say... i have a stubby one and it works okay... i guess what we're missing here is $9 for a stubby (ebay) vs $59 for the shark... take a pick.... hmmmm. I mean if money is not an object, yeah i guess it's okay. But sixty bones for an antenna... ahhh... i'll spend it on something else. Just my opinion ya'll.(enguard)

geezerz99 said:
looks nice i have to say... i have a stubby one and it works okay... i guess what we're missing here is $9 for a stubby (ebay) vs $59 for the shark... take a pick.... hmmmm. I mean if money is not an object, yeah i guess it's okay. But sixty bones for an antenna... ahhh... i'll spend it on something else. Just my opinion ya'll.(enguard)

$59 for an antenna, pricey yes. But it's color match painted and out of the ordinary. Small price to pay for something unique.

geezerz99 said:

The $9 ebay stubby antenna I got is crap. Does nothing for reception. I get the same reception without an antenna as I get with the stubby on there. Basically its for looks. All I'm saying is be careful with these cheap antennas - most of them are non-funtioning.

I like the shark fin, especially the custom paint job, but with the exchange rate, taxes and shipping, its almost $90 Canadian... I'm not sure its worth it.... I dunno!(uhm)

Last edited:
I should have the antenna by next week. I'll post some before and after pictures. The total came out to $71.00. A bit high but I like the clean look and I probably won't hit the ceilings in some parking structures.

K, I installed mine, $15 shipped link above. It's like 4" long, a tiny stubby. My 6 main presets all come in loud and clear, no noise or reception issues. My second 6 presets on FM 2 has 2 stations that come in and out depending on tree coverage.

So, for me listening to my iPod 85% of the time and still have my main 6 presets I'm fine. I would maybe like a thicker looking one. Maybe that's a guy thing tho.

I'm interested in the sharkfin one tho, want to see it on a 5 first.

Last edited:
I changed out the OE antenna for a metal 4" stubby last December and have virtually identical radio reception, as well as great reception from FM transmitters for my Ipod and Sirius receiver

Just recieved my Shark Fin... it looks great... I'll probally install it some time this weekend and post some pictures.....

I did the install the yesterday and I had mixed opinions. After the installation, it looked better than the mock up. I had a chance to follow my wife to costo for gas and kept looking at the antenna and it looked even better. I'll have pics up in the next few days.

Here are some before and after shots... The only worry I have is that the roof of the 5 is curved. My sister has a 3 and her roof is level. The guys at Visual Garage are helping me with the fitment issue. I'm not sure if I'm the first 5 with the fin but I thing the product is great. I'll try to get better pictures later....

Attachments

• DSC02047.JPG
    DSC02047.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,019
  • DSC02051.JPG
    DSC02051.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • DSC02055.JPG
    DSC02055.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Are you happy or are you unhappy? What's the problem with the curved roof, as the antenna looks like it's seated correctly? How's the reception? And this was the $75 one?

Kid Red... I love the way it looks. My wife even likes it and she usually does not pay attention to car stuff. The reception is great even in parking structures. The only issue is that our roof is slighlty curved and the gasket adhesive is stretched at the very front(take a look at the photograph). I have contacted the Visual garage guys and they said they would look into the mattter. The only thing I am afraid of is that the adhesive will come apart over time. Visual garage assured me if there is a problem in the future, they will replace the piece for me. Over all I am satsified with the product and the service.

Attachments

• DSC02058.JPG
    DSC02058.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 799
So, anybody else install the shark fin on their car. I really like it but at 75 bucks US, it's hard to justify. And I don't hate my current antenna enough to change it out.

I've seen this Euro style sharkfin made by MTEC that sells on eBay. They are going for $12 US + shipping, a fraction of the VG euro shark fin. However, it probably isn't as streamlined as the more expensive one.
Anybody try the eBay version or does anyone know if it's a cheap knock off? I'm inclined to assume that at that price, I'll get a peice of plastic with no reception.

Back