CX-7 review embargo until April 20!

stangmatt66

:
2004 Mazda RX-8 & 2005 Toyota Prius
Hey guys, the reason we haven't seen much info posted about the CX-7's driving dynamics is apparently Mazda has imposed an information embargo on all reviews until April 20. Want proof? Here's a short blog posting from Karl on Cars from Edmunds.com. Apparently the embargo doesn't apply to the Canucks from CanadianDriver.com...

2007 Mazda CX-7

It's my pleasure to tell you that I've just driven this car -- and it's my pain to tell you about the April 20 embargo on all driving impressions. At least we'll have a full test up on that day, complete with photos, video, track testing and audio system evaluation. One thing I can say is that the SUV/Crossover market continues to evolve. Everyone (myself included) laughed when Lexus intro'd the RX 300 in 1999. "An 'SUV' that can be had in front-wheel drive only? Built on a Camry platform? Ha! What a joke." Then the sales figures started to roll in, and the joke was on every automotive journalist and every other automaker -- most of whom started screaming at their own product development teams -- "Build one now-Now-NOW!!" They've all since tried it, some with more success (BMW X5) than others (Buick Rendezvous). Now comes Mazda's entry. The Tribute also went in this direction, but the CX-7, based off the Mazda 6 platform, is the first true RX knockoff. This much you already know, and considering how every car using this platform as been received and rated by the automotive press you can probably discern how the CX-7 drives. You've also probably seen the interior and exterior styling (if not check here), so you can come to your own conclusion on styling. I will say this much -- The CX-7 bodes well for Mazda, and also Ford and Lincoln, who will get their own versions (Edge and Aviator) soon.

Posted by Karl Mar 21, 2006 12:42 pm

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee900c0

Mazda Canada and Mazda North American Operations are two different entities. Maybe Mazda Canada didn't place the same embargo. Although this guy said they did track testing. None of the Canadian reviews that have popped up have any track numbers. Very curious to see if the CX-7 will break into the 14's in the 1/4 mile.

Why do these moron reporters continue to say the CX-7 is the same as the Edge? CX-7 platform is designed by Mazda exclusively for the CX-7 and is not shared by ANY other vehicles!!!!!(bang)

Mazda3 said:
Why do these moron reporters continue to say the CX-7 is the same as the Edge? CX-7 platform is designed by Mazda exclusively for the CX-7 and is not shared by ANY other vehicles!!!!!(bang)

I think they say that because all four vehilces (Edge/MKX/CX-7/CX-9) stem from the Mazda6 platform, however Ford has stretched it more for the Edge/MKX/CX-9. The CX-7 rides on a smaller (more original?) version.

stangmatt66 said:
I think they say that because all four vehilces (Edge/MKX/CX-7/CX-9) stem from the Mazda6 platform, however Ford has stretched it more for the Edge/MKX/CX-9. The CX-7 rides on a smaller (more original?) version.

The CX-7 is, for the lack of a better word, comprised of a mish-mash of various Mazda components. For example, the CX-7 front suspension is from Mazda6 components, whereas the rear suspension is from Mazda3/5 components.

The Ford siblings (Edge/MKX), is from a modified and stretched Mazda6 platform. The new MPV (unavailable in N. America) is more related to this Mazda6-based platform than the CX-7 is.

Now that the embargo is over, here's another review: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=109915

The Toyota delivers better observed fuel economy 19 mpg compared to the 16.6 we measured in the Mazda. Oh, and the RAV does all that on regular unleaded, while the CX-7 needs premium.

16.6 MPG??? (omg)

And my dealer just told me that it won't arrive at the dealers until mid June now. (pissed)

Last edited:
113ft 60-0??? That's Miata territory, and 64.3mph slalom, only 1 mph slower than the WRX... And the mileage isn't that bad for a 3900lb car that was being pushed around for a road test.

16.6 isn't bad at all! Heck, my RX-8 gets worse than that and I don't push it around a test track all day like they did to the CX-7. The CX-7 requires premium while the RX-8 recommends it.

GAMacky said:
And my dealer just told me that it won't arrive at the dealers until mid June now. (pissed)

Well from my initial quality problems with the RX-8, that means I wouldn't touch the CX-7 until the second or third production run in December or Jan 07.

Last edited:
16.6 mpg is ok considering they got 19 mpg for the RAV4 V6 which is supposed to have much better mileage 21/28.

I think another reviewer said they got 23 mpg around their test drive in NJ - thats pretty damn good for real world driving.

I want to see reviews of the AWD vs. FWD model - 220 lbs. is a significant difference.

I think I might prefer the lighter CX-7 with a simpler drivetrain, better mpg/handling, and lower sticker. I could just get some real good tires for the FWD and surpass stock AWD performance.

My last car had reactive/haldex-type AWD as an option and I went with FWD for those very reasons - never really has been a problem even in bad weather...

Last edited:
Back