Its Really Not A Van

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
HI

Took the time to park a Mazda 5 between two 2006 Mazda MPV's. The spot I parked in was previously a MPV was parked real close to the others.

Remember one thing... as my son says to me when we pass other vans and cars: " hey its not a van eh" (looking at the vans or cars we pass) :)

Attachments

• Not a Van 1 fixed.jpg
    Not a Van 1 fixed.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Not a Van 2 Fixed.jpg
    Not a Van 2 Fixed.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 682
In the state of Virginia, it's classified as a wagon.

Says so right on my 2006 personal property tax form...:'(

I never thought it was a van until you bring it up... thanks a lot :)

Seriously, the other day I needed to drop off my CRV at the shop. My wife drove her 5 and we went together. I was following her, and for the first time had a good look at the back of the 5. It totally looked like a van!

Not the front, not the sides, but viewing straight from the back, the 5 is totally a scaled down version of a minivan. What I am gonna do now... I swore that I was never gonna buy a van!!!!!

It is a WAGON with sliding doors. The next person that calls it a van...POW! Right in the kisser. (fight)
lol

What is it?

Well...........not wanting to risk a punch in the kisser........I wish Mazda had at least "classified" as a van.......or some type of utility vehicle...............for regulatory purposes............so that we could have had factory-tinted glass. It still mystifies me how vehicles such as the Chevy HHR, PT Cruiser, Dodge Magnum Wagon, Scion xb can offer factory tint at least as an option while a vehicle such as the Mazda5 can't.

I kind of like the European term used for these vehicles.........Space Wagon.

Because it's not classified as a van in VA. The tint shop wouldn't put 5% on it. They went by the law.

If it was classified as a van then there are no limits to how dark the tint can be...

Luckily, my tint guy (Ziebart) said they would do whatever I wanted.

JAVI said:
Luckily, my tint guy (Ziebart) said they would do whatever I wanted.

I actually went in hoping to convince them that it was a van, but unfortunate for me, the car being tinted right before mine, was another 5 and they just finished looking it up. So they went by the law instead of doing 5% in the back liked I had hoped...

The option of factory tinted glass would probably be welcomed by the majority of customers, but the way the "5" is classified evidently prevents that. I wonder who determines these classifications, the manufacturer or the Government? I assumed that a manufacturer submits a vehicle under a classification under which they determined it belongs. If other manufacturers could get their vehicles, vehicles which clearly are not real "trucks" , "vans" or true "SUV's", classified so as to offer factory tint at least as an option, I do not understand why Mazda didn't do the same.

If factory tint were optional, those who wanted no tint, or those who wanted to choose the degree of tint they prefer would still be free to have what they wanted. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but factory-tinted glass is true tinted glass isn't it and not just window-film?

Yes, factory "tinted" glass is actually colored glass, which offeres no UV protection and no shatter/breakage protecion.

When my hubby and I bought the Mazda5, our sales rep said it wasn't a "van," it's a "multi-activity vehicle."(and if it was a van, wouldn't it replace the MPV?) And it also says it's a multi-activity vehicle in the Mazda5's brochure. And it's always compared to the Matrix, Vibe, Xb, etc. Not with the Dodge Caravan, Honda Odyssey, etc. The Mazda5 is the MPV and Mazda6 when they had a baby!

Last edited:
Check out a Mazda 5 parked next to a Ford Focus Wagon and a F150.

Attachments

• Excavation 014.jpg
    Excavation 014.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 389
park it next to a vibe/matrix... they are almost the same size and look alot alike. We have the sliding doors so people call them vans. I for one, like those doors.

Back