scratched car door

dracore

aurgh
it was bound to happen one of these days. Someone with a black car opened their door and scratched the passenger side of my Mazda 5.
As luck would have it, it was black paint on my white pearly door :(
I've tried to remove as much of the black as possible with a towel and water but there's still some left that doesn't want to come off.
Anyone have any recommendations on what I can try to remove the rest? I don't think the paint went through the clear coat.

dracore said:
aurgh
it was bound to happen one of these days. Someone with a black car opened their door and scratched the passenger side of my Mazda 5.
As luck would have it, it was black paint on my white pearly door :(
I've tried to remove as much of the black as possible with a towel and water but there's still some left that doesn't want to come off.
Anyone have any recommendations on what I can try to remove the rest? I don't think the paint went through the clear coat.
that sucks i bet you wish you could kick them right in the ass, try buffing it. i have one for you i have had my car almost 4yrs, no dents from parking alots right. well i have 3 dents all within 2" of each other. how do u ask my wife and kids opening the door of her car in the new garage. so i cant do anything. hope you get it out i love the mazda 5. wilson

DRACORE
We get damage on the lot and have a couple of tricks to make it look just like new (bumper rubs etc.). Drop by the dealer you bought it from and you will be amazed how it will look. Lesson learned leave good enough alone and let the experts work on the fix.

Hi all,

I think I have some polishing compound which I'll try to use to get rid of the paint. I'll pick up some turtle wax too... with luck the black marks will disappear.

The small dent is another matter though...

Great thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.. checked out their website and it looks like they can undent without scratching the paint

i have the same problem on my car door, but its my spicy orange... anything u guys recommend??? or will that meguiars work for me tooo...

I think the Meguiars will work...actually, I think a good polishing product from any manufacture should work.

I've always used Meguiars, so that is the brand I'm familiar with.

I had a scuff on the front bumper... happened at my wife's parking garage. I took polishing compound and buffed out the scratch... thank god it didn't chip the paint. I did have an impression where the bumper was rubbed. I finished up with a small wax job and you couldn't see the scratch. Hope that helps... :)

It's funny this thread came up! Not really but...
Coming home on the hwy today, a piece of 1/2"? x 3'? black pipe on the road. Tried to move to avoid, but ran over the tip (truck next to me).
I "thought" it had hit the bottom of the ground effects from the noise emitted. But upon a thorough inspection at home, found a sharp ding and 5" long scrape down to primer on the sliding door! Fack!
Sh*t happens I guess. Gonna wait for another month or so to fix. Paintless dent removal and a bit of airbrushing and clearing the area and wet sanding should do it I HOPE. I do NOT want to paint the whole door.
All the wife had to say was "I'm glad it was you and not me"....

is this something that will stay on or do i have to reapply it when it rains and s***...

i never used a buffer, actually i never seen one... so i dunno wat i'm buyin... so i need the meguiars thing and a buffer... thats it right?

Using polish is just like waxing. You put it on and then wipe it off.

The difference is the polish has a very light abrasive compound in it. It's designed to remove small scratches and marks from the paint. But you need to follow up with a coat of wax.

Typically, after washing your car, you put on a paint cleaner (and then wipe it off) first, followed by a polish and finally with wax.

I personnally am too lazy, so I just use the polish and then wax. Then once a year, I'll use the paint cleaner...typically in the spring.

A buffer is a hand held power tool that rotates (kinda like a hand held orbital sander), with a soft inter-changable pad. You can put polishing compound or wax on the soft pad and use it as an applicator. Than you can put a terry towel pad on to remove the polish or wax.

Here is a link to a picture of an orbital buffer. (It's the first link when I did a google on orbital buffer, so I've never used it before. But the principals are the same)

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/11-12-cleaning-implements/power-buffer-134155.aspx

Here is a link that should answer most of your questions about detailing your car.

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled35.htm

Hope this helps.

this helps alot! looks like i got some shopping to do...

i'ma be busy as hell wit a few mods coming and now this... sheesh...

THX!

Back