power stearing sings?

X10James

:
Mazda5
I happened to be standing in front of the 5 as my wife pulled it out of the garage this morning and noticed that the power steering appears to be singing. Or at least making warbling differing tones as she turned the wheel. Does anybody else do that? or should I give the dealer a call to find out when they can take a look at it... it's not like a squealing or belt slipping noise like I associate with older cars with failing power steering, it's a very musical tone that goes up and down as she moved the wheels.

Thanks!

when you turn it off you can hear it still winding down after a stop..... got to love that steering helps all to park easier.

If you're talking about hearing the noise from outside the car, I'd say YES. It's normal. I can hear it inside if I think about it, but it's not really loud enough to bother anyone. It's related to electric-hydraulic system as noted above.

ok, thanks, thats good to know it's normal.

I made the mistake of reading through the manual though and it warns against turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other for more than 5 seconds or you'll damage the engine... why would they make it self-destruct if you take more than 5 seconds to pull into a parking spot? Or am I over reacting ;)

Back