foot getting stuck

So ive had my 5 for 2 weeks and im having this annyoing problem.

WHen im pressing the brake and i want to switch my foot to step on the gas, my foot is getting stuck above the opening above the pedals. Is it just me??? I think mazda should have closed the area w/ some sort of plate.

It is so dangerous if you can't push the gas right away if you need to turn/get out of the way of something. And on top of that there is some sharp metal pieces that can possibly cut you if you are wearing sandals

BTW i have a size 11 shoe.

IS this happening to anybody else (huh)

I wear size 10 shoes and I haven't had any problems with the pedals. (dunno)

Yeah, I have the same problem, thankfully the 5 is my wifes car. I wear a 10 EEE, and there is like zero clearance between my foot and the brake pedal. I have to put my foot flat on the floor and "toe" the bottom of the gas pedal, or it gets wedged in between the pedals. I looked and it's actually the arm that holds the pedal, it curves way to the right towards the gas pedal. It's almost impossible for me to get my foot from the gas to the brake quickly, Stupid.

I must drive funny, cause I wear size 12 (Converse All-Star and One Stars, no less, which is supposedly a 12.5) and I have had no problems at all... Maybe I toe the gas pedal or something.

I"m a 6' guy and my only real complaint on the foot/leg space is that if I let my left leg drift left and against the door, I'm blocking the speaker and can't hear the radio as well... I'm used to speakers in the dash.

I wear size 11 (give or take 1/2 size depending on the shoe) and have this problem in other cars, but not in my 5. My 5 is a 5 speed. Could the auto's gas and break pedals be that different? Or maybe you guys are wearing boots or Docs with super beefy soles?

no its not the pedal w/ what im concerced about it.
Its above the pedals. there is a open space above which looks like it was suppose to be closed off.

Also for the left foot they should have put a dead pedal, instead of fabric which doesn't get covered by the floor mats

pureimport said:
no its not the pedal w/ what im concerced about it.
Its above the pedals. there is a open space above which looks like it was suppose to be closed off.

Also for the left foot they should have put a dead pedal, instead of fabric which doesn't get covered by the floor mats

There's an after-market pedal kit for the 5 that includes that dead plate. Aluminum, looked nice, can't remember where I saw. Ebay maybe.

Move back the seat use the telescopic and tilt feature all should be well :)
If not let ur wife drive.

I've never ecountered this problem and my size 11 and I drive briskly at times.

I took Mazda5 automatic for a long test drive yesterday. I found that the two pedals are placed too close to each other. I like to ground my right heel straight in line with the brake pedal, so that my foot is straight when I brake, and on an angle when I accelerate. Couldn't do it in Mazda5. The brake pedal was getting in the way when it was time to hit the gas. I was forced to place my heel straight in line with the gas pedal, which felt a bit uncomfortable. Nothing that you can't get used to though.

BTW, I'm size 11.

It took me a few weeks with the five to get used to the placement, but after a while you will not remember that it was ever an issue. (cabpatch) (wiggle)

I wear 10 1/2, drive a 5spd and only have trouble when I try heel-and-toe technique - then my foot gets kinda wedged in there at an angle. Haven't had a problem with 'normal' two-footed technique. Have had that problem in other vehicles though. Go figure.

Im going to take a picture of what im talking about tommorw.
I swear i think there is something missing above the pedals to cover up that open space.

btw i driven 6 other cars and never had this problem, first mazda though.

Last edited:
pureimport said:

+1!

I was just thinking this the other day. My floormats work great, except for this one spot which gets soaked with water and salt when my foot rests there. I keep trying to remember to bring my left knee up, so my foot will rest on the mat.

I've never had a problem with the right foot though, but I'm only a size 9 shoe.

I'll tell ya though, you should try driving a Volvo S40 (had one as a loaner once). My foot was literally getting stuck between the brake and gas pedals. Brutal. It would be undriveable for anybody with size 10+ feet.

pedals

Geneva45 said:
Something is obviously not right there, but since I've had no problems with switching my foot on the gas and brake pedals, I can't tell.

I have not purchased vehicle as of yet, but that is one thing that I am afraid of. I wear 13ee, but I dont wear sneakers.
Upon test driving the car I immediately noticed that when the gas is pressed down and I have to brake, my foot is hitting the underside of the brake peda on the way up.
When I have to go from brake to gas, my foot was hitting the side of brake when going to accellerator.
But the curious thing, is that after a few minutes of a test drive, it didnt seem to bother me, but I had to concentrate on it. I assume it will become normal after a while.
I went as far as bringing different pairs of shoes into shoe room, and trying them on and feeling pedals.
So the bottom line is, is that when I buy a pair of shoes or work boots, I will have to consider the vehicle as well, which is really crazy.
One thing I can definately tell you, is that my military cold weather boots are too large to drive with in the mz5. On my way to drill, I think I will have to change shoes, like those ladies do, who wear sneakers and then change to dress shoes at work.
I guess I might as well start wearing a dress. LOL

Thanks

I wear an 11, but only when I wear hiking style shoes or boots do I have a pedal problem. The gas is WAY too close to the brake. I have to accelerate with just my toe and have to keep my foot on a very odd angle otherwise even with the right side of my foot touching the center stack, the left side of my foot hits the brake pedal.

I don't have this problem with the accelerator/brake pedal, but I used to have this problem with my left foot switching from the clutch to the brake. Adjusting the seat solved the problem--moved farther back, lower the seat, telescope the steering wheel. The 5 has a different driving position from the Protege, and I had to get used to it. Fiddle with the seat and see what happens. BTW, I have a size 8 shoe.

retrained foot

I've had two space problems in ours. First is what lots of other folks are complaining about - very close spacing between brake and accelerator. When I test drove it, I nearly launched the sales rep in a turn when I went to hit the gas quickly and instead ended up mashing the brake. Very annoying, but I have since retrained myself to have my heel in line with the accelerator instead of with the brake.

Second problem was caused by the dash cover. My work boots' tops (stiff leather) catch on the bottom of the dash opening, making it hard to let the clutch out. Solution there is to never wear those boots in the 5 again.

Really dumb pedal design, if you ask me. Did their engineers all grow up with bound feet? Or is this supposed to make it easier for people to heel/toe when doing the whole Zoom Zoom thing?

I've no problem with brake pedal but I drive with my right foot heel somewhere between two pedals (for quick switch).

This method is good for sudden braking but right shoe is constantly rubbing on the left side of center console.

I don't have such problem with other small cars. It could be center-mounted HVAC making lower dash console wider.

Back