Automatic Climate Control

:
5, GT, Auto
Dear All,

I just picked up my brand new 5 today (platinum sliver, GT). This is also the first time I have a car with automatic climate control, so I am a bit confused here.

After I hit the "auto" button, it seems that anything that I change (other than the temp) will turn off the "auto" function. What bugs me the most is that the A/C light is on - when it's 0 degree C outside. I need heat, not A/C!!

Also, the vent mode is always in 'windshield+floor' - can't change it without losing "auto". What am I doing wrong here, or something is wrong with my car. Please help.

it's so foolproof, only a fool could use it.

Nothing is broken, or, if it is, mine's broken, too. Auto means auto EVERYTHING ... it decided where the air goes and how high the fans should be set and if the A/C should be on. The only thing I haven't seen it do is turn the "inside air/recirculate" thing on.

My old cars used to kick in the A/C compressor for the defog and stuff, so maybe it just works better with totally dry air, or maybe mazda decided that it was easier to measure the temperature with air that's ben through a compressor.

I believe the manual covers all this, too.

Well if you touch something it's not being done automatically, that would be considered manual. So, either set it to auto and adjust the temp you want it to automatically adjust to, or set it up manually to your preferences.

I think I read something about Mazdas using the A/C light part even with heat or something.

The ACC is a disaster IMO. The A/C ALWAYS runs no matter the outside temp, desired/set temp on the controls, where the air is directed-- nothing will turn it off. I hate that. Also, even if you control it manually, the A/C will still be on (though the light will not be on) when you have the air control set to direct all air to your feet. It's absolutely asinine.

bulwnkl said:
The ACC is a disaster IMO. The A/C ALWAYS runs no matter the outside temp, desired/set temp on the controls, where the air is directed-- nothing will turn it off. I hate that. Also, even if you control it manually, the A/C will still be on (though the light will not be on) when you have the air control set to direct all air to your feet. It's absolutely asinine.

How do you know it's on if the light is off?

You can hear and feel the compressor cycling. If you open the hood, you can also watch it, I suppose.

Really?! A/C on all the time even though you switch it off?!

Hard to believe the Japanese engineers in Mazda would implement such an inefficient design...

Anyone else have any insights about this?

I read somewhere that if you set the vents to floor and dash (not just floor and not defrost) the AC will not run, unless you turn it on. I was always used to driving my Hondas with the vents turned to floor and for the first couple of weeks wondered why my gas mileage was so low on the 5. The AC was always running!

If I recall our AC is off below -7 C. I will have to check out the specs but its an art to figure out the auto air but I know the auto defrost is great. Notice the fan progressively goes faster not full blast which could damage fan. Anyhow I will check things out.

The air conditioner may not function when the outside temperature approaches 0 C (32 F). (Indicator remains on even when system is off.)

Press the windshield defroster switch. In this position, the position is automatically selected, and the air conditioner automatically turned on. The air conditioner will direct dehumidified air to the front windshield and side windows. Airflow amount will be increased.

This texte is from the owner manual

bulwnkl said:
The ACC is a disaster IMO. The A/C ALWAYS runs no matter the outside temp,
I agree it's stupid that it runs in cold weather, but just hit the "AC" button and the compressor turns off. Mine turns off the ac when the button is pushed. Like I said kinda dumb but I'm used to it now. I've noticed Ford's are like this- more Forditis!

Air conditioner is not only for cooling but removes moisture from the air also. This is why it comes on with defrost. I ALWAYS have my AC on. Even on the coldest days it is on with the heat. I just don't like humid air.

065 said:
I agree it's stupid that it runs in cold weather, but just hit the "AC" button and the compressor turns off.

Unfortunately, that's not true. It still runs even with the light off (with the ACC system; don't know about the manual system) if you have the air directed to:
1) Defrost only
2) Defrost/floor combo
3) Floor only

It's also not true that the compressor doesn't run below freezing. Now that it's finally warming up I'll see whether it runs all the time even on floor setting when it's above 50F or so.

It appears to me that, when I set the system to manual control, I am capable of deciding whether I need or want dehumidification. However, Mazda clearly disagrees. It makes no sense and I REALLY wish they wouldn't do that.

not that this really has anything to do with the Auto setting, but I also noticed that this car has no real vent setting... and having driven mostly 15-year old cars, i kinda miss that. Open windows is too much breeze sometimes, but the outside air CAN be just the right temperature.

If you turn the fan "off" by pushing the button, the air that comes out of wherever you set it still seems to be at whatever temperature you had the climate control set to, before you turned it off.

Or am I just crazy? I'll try it again the next time I'm sitting in the car.

This topic sucked to read. I >>hate<< driving with the A/C on unless it's like today and it's 90*+. I guess I'll never be using the ACC now, wonderful.

On a different point related to this topic, when the A/C is running, is there a noticable ding to performance? If I had to speculate with the trusty 'ol butt dyno, I'd say running the A/C in my wife's Solara only drains 1-2 hp, just barely enough to be noticable. But in my Sunfire it's huge, more like 10-15 hp... Also, anyone know how many MPG's the 5 loses when running A/C?

Personally, I havent noticed any performance difference but fuel consumption is considerably more with the A/C running.

Mazda3's with auto climate control are fine and are not plagued with the common A/C complaints you may read about.

I haven't found any either, thankfully. I get the rated mpg at city and at highway with the AC cranked. Good thing here in Florida. When I have my Jetta, the mpg would dip drastically with the AC on or off, 'course it seemed to blow ice, the Mazda blows cool air.

Great, thanks. I guess I'll just have to play around with it when I get it. Maybe I won't notice much difference and I'll just leave the ACC on. I think part of the problem with the A/C performance in my Sunfire is just that... it's a Sunfire! 3AT tranny to boot (ughdance)

I have my ACC on pretty much all the time and haven't really noticed a power drop. I'm getting between 23 and 24 MPG city driving pretty consistently now.

Back