Bug Deflector

Zoom5Zoom

:
Mazda 5 GS 5MT
Heya

Got the new Mazda Bug Deflector today. Only took 35 min to install. Looks fine. A highway test no vibs or noticible noise either.
Cost about 75 Bux Canadian.

Attachments

• Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Bug Deflector fixed.jpg
    Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Bug Deflector fixed.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Tinted.jpg
    Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Tinted.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,327
Last edited:
Nice...

Does it attach to the hood with two sided tape or by screws?

I'd like to get on as well. The only think Mazda sells in the US for hood protection is a front mask.

You guys get all the cool accessories up there...

Hmm, worried about it discoloring the paint job, but I'd like to see more pics, day time ones maybe? Looks kinda cool, but hard to tell.

Are we going to get this in the US?

Wuster - It comes with bump stops that you place on your hood (to prevent it from rubbing on the hood and thereby causing the paint to wear away and rust to form), and where the clips slip over the edge of the hood, there is tape that you put on the hood. You do no drilling at all; where the weather-stripping runs along the edge of the hood, there are clips/plugs that 'fasten' it to the hood. You simply remove two of these plugs, and replace them with washers and screws to hold the hood deflector onto the car. Very easy to put on/take off.

Kid Red - I've had mine on the car for nearly 4 years now, and I can assure you there is no discolouration whatsoever.

Deflector1.jpg

Deflector2.jpg

To my knowledge, the deflector is only available in Canada. Like Zoom5zoom said, they're about $75CA.

I realize I've got a protege5, but they all mount basically the same way.

hope to have day time pics next week. As for the reply above it has the same style bumpers and plastic clips for support.

FYI looks better on a Mazda 5 not a Protege 5 lol.......

If you pre pay shipping I can have one to ya from canada next week...let me know.

Zoom5Zoom said:
Heya

Got the new Mazda Bug Deflector today. Only took 35 min to install. Looks fine. A highway test no vibs or noticible noise either.
Cost about 75 Bux Canadian.

Are those the stock rims on your 5? If not, you got a pic of them?

MyZmZm said:
Wuster - It comes with bump stops that you place on your hood (to prevent it from rubbing on the hood and thereby causing the paint to wear away and rust to form), and where the clips slip over the edge of the hood, there is tape that you put on the hood. You do no drilling at all; where the weather-stripping runs along the edge of the hood, there are clips/plugs that 'fasten' it to the hood. You simply remove two of these plugs, and replace them with washers and screws to hold the hood deflector onto the car. Very easy to put on/take off.

Kid Red - I've had mine on the car for nearly 4 years now, and I can assure you there is no discolouration whatsoever.

To my knowledge, the deflector is only available in Canada. Like Zoom5zoom said, they're about $75CA.

I realize I've got a protege5, but they all mount basically the same way.

Cool, so it's the same set up I have on my Honda CRV. When I was searching for a bug deflector for the CRV, I came across several that attaches with two sided tape. Which prevents you from removing it to wash and wax the hood underneath.

It works great on the CRV and I haven't experience any color fade or anything issues.

Dang it. I may have to sneak across the border and get one... :)

Mike

The rims are just wheel covers from our local Canadian Tire Store. Set of 4 cost 32 bux. I get asked all the time. Hope u like em.

Attachments

• PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 587
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 579
Hi zoom5zoom, can you please tell me where you got your deflector? I'm in Ottawa also, and the dealer I bought it from keeps telling me that they don't know if/when Mazda's making them. Obviously the deflector does exist! :rolleyes:
Thanks very much!

Last edited:
jammer said:
Hi zoom5zoom, can you please tell me where you got your deflector? I'm in Ottawa also, and the dealer I bought it from keeps telling me that they don't know if/when Mazda's making them. Obviously the deflector does exist! :rolleyes:
Thanks very much!

Hey Jammer

Go to Performance Mazda in Orleans. Ask for Brian. He can hook you up with all the Mazda 5 accessories. He helped me out with mine.

Last edited:
Done and done! (cabpatch) Thanks Greenridge. Brian's super cool and helped me out even though I didn't buy the car from him. Same goes for the dealership too, I'm impressed. (thumb)

Zoom5Zoom said:
Mike

The rims are just wheel covers from our local Canadian Tire Store. Set of 4 cost 32 bux. I get asked all the time. Hope u like em.

For 32 bux to cover up the steel on your winter tires - is one helluva a deal - they do look good. Thanks for the pics! Luckily I don't need to pull the switch for the winter here in Victoria.

Thanks Jammer....anytime. (first)

Mike I can send ya some snow friend :)

Here are some new pics as promissed

Attachments

• Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Bug Deflector fixed.jpg
    Mazda 5 Apr 2006 Bug Deflector fixed.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,264
Last edited:
I wish I could see a pic of this on a light colored 5 outside in the sun. So $75 USA? How much to ship to Florida?

Anyone know about the bra? Do they really discolor your hood? DO you really have to take if completely off and let it completely dry after every time is gets wet? I live in Florida, so if true, I might as well not even where it 2-3 months during the rainy season. But I like the bra looks.

I also want a stubby antenna. I hate the tall chopstick looking one we have now.

Kid Red said:
I wish I could see a pic of this on a light colored 5 outside in the sun. So $75 USA? How much to ship to Florida?

Anyone know about the bra? Do they really discolor your hood? DO you really have to take if completely off and let it completely dry after every time is gets wet? I live in Florida, so if true, I might as well not even where it 2-3 months during the rainy season. But I like the bra looks.

I also want a stubby antenna. I hate the tall chopstick looking one we have now.

Hi Kid Red

Yes the bra will cause discolouration. Also when you have dirt trap underneath, it can act like a sandpaper. Highly not recommened.

canadianexpress said:
Hi Kid Red

Yes the bra will cause discolouration. Also when you have dirt trap underneath, it can act like a sandpaper. Highly not recommened.

Yup, had that problem with a the bra. I bought one for the first new car I ever bought. A sliver Ford Probe GT, and it turned the paint on the hood (that was under the bra) into a milky white color.

(pissed)

Zoom5Zoom said:
hope to have day time pics next week. As for the reply above it has the same style bumpers and plastic clips for support.

FYI looks better on a Mazda 5 not a Protege 5 lol.......

If you pre pay shipping I can have one to ya from canada next week...let me know.

So Zoom5Zoom,

You can (or would be willing to) ship one down here to the States?

How much is the bug deflector (in US$) and how much would shipping be to Washington, DC?

Thanks for the heads up on the bra. Sad, they look cool.

So, how much to ship this bug guard to Florida? And I assume it's not a permanent install right?

Back