wood dash kit?

X10James

:
Mazda5
Has anybody considered a wood or other dash upgrade? I found this just by surfing around and they have full kits of all the inserts for the 5:

http://www.wooddash.com/item/MAZDA_Dash_Kits_5_2006_UP

They have real wood as well as "simulated" for some of the more expensive materials and brushed aluminum and carbon fiber. Does anybody have one of these? how do the simulated materials look? or is it really worth it for me to spring the extra money for the real stuff.

Besides the yucky yellow/green color of the big LCD backlight my least favorite part of the interior of the car is the plastic dash inserts.

Hey,
Thanks for the information onthe dash kits. I ordered the carbon fibre kit for my 5; should receive it next week.
Once it warms up I'll install and post some pics and feedback on the quality of these parts.
Regards,
Anthony

terrific! I can't wait to hear how it goes on, my project got pushed to the back seat, as it were ;), by family trips and sick kids and that whole thing so I haven't followed up on it yet. Though the company did respond immediately to my email with questions about that. Evidently these kits are stick on and conform to the existing panels rather than replace them.

So I'm very interested to hear just how much extra depth they add to the panels and if you like that or not. Also excited to see pictures, the carbon fiber does look pretty good too, now I can't decide :)

I received the dash kit yesterday.
The quality of the materials is good, however I was abit disappointed with the fit....based on a preliminary line up.
I'll try to install next week and let you know how it works out.
Anthony

well I'm definitely going to be disappointed too if they don't look as nice as they seem to in their pictures. Like Kid Red I'd love to see picts! Keep us informed.

I installed real-wood Italian Burl dash kits in my wife's 02 Altima and my old 01 Trooper. They set me back about $300 apiece...but they were not difficult to install and the finished product looked great...for about a year and a half. After that the thick clear laminate started to delaminate from the wood on parts of the dash that were susceptible to sunlight (even though I used a sunscreen in the windshield and had 3M tint on all windows). Eventually it started to look horrible so I ripped it off...this is about a 2 day job because that adhesive is insane. Problem is, there is no way to remove the dash kit and get all the residue off...so I knew I would have to replace it with another kit. This time I purchased a simulated wood kit...which in my opinion looks nearly as nice and is about $100 cheaper. The advantage is the clear laminate remains permanently adhered to the simulated wood (which is actually a plastic material), whereas over time it will delaminate from the real wood. The simulated wood kit has been on for 2 years now with no problems...looks as good as the day I installed it.

Dash Kit Pics

Here are some pics of the carbon fibre dash-kit.
I haven't had a chance to install them trim pieces yet....I want to wait until the place warms up a bit.
The images may not be the best, but I'll post some more after I get them installed.
Anthony

Attachments

• 5GT_1 010.jpg
    5GT_1 010.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 5GT_1 008.jpg
    5GT_1 008.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 216
Back