Mounts for phone/iPod/GPS/whatever for Mazda5

mietaa

:
Mazda5 2.0 Touring, Brilliant Black
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what the available options are for having a clean, professional looking mount for a cell phone, iPod, GPS or whatever into the dash. What I've been able to dig so far is as follows:

For mounting a cell phone or iPod these are OK, but has anyone found a mount that is attached higher? I'm thinking of mounting an external GPS navigator, and it would be nice to have it somewhere where you can actually see the screen.

the dashmount mirror image is hilarious... you think they did that because it actually can be attached on the drivers' side... or just to look as if their mount is somewhere different than every other third party mount out there?

I had a suction cup "window" mount from best buy (bracketron, i think) attached to the plate that the shifter is on for a while... I had it curved way out to the right and then back up so that my hand wouldn't hit it while shifting into Park... I was very happy with it... but my most common passenger wanted to sit with one leg crossed and kept knocking it off with their knee. So I went to the belkin cupholder mount... impossible to navigate through an iPod while safely navigating the car, but my passenger is happier. I'll probably switch to the suction cup thing when they're not in the car.

The image is mirrored because the site is in UK, where they have the strange habit of driving RHD vehicles :)

I found the same mount but unmirrored on a German site (sorry, no idea if these are available in US). Anyways, the product # is the same, so I suppose they're trying to convince people it is mountable on either side. I had a Dashmount on my Liberty (or Cherokee, as it's called here in Europe), and it wasn't symmetrical but could be mounted the other way around with some modification. Actually it was better mounted the wrong way :)

Have any of you guys used the Proclip, how sturdy are they?

If its just for your ipod have you considered the ipad sticky?

I put mine on the left side of the shifter. It leaves no sticky residue when you take it off and it holds the ipod great.

To make it sticky again just wash w/ soap and water

10cdn at best buy

Update:

I got the Kuda phonebase (the 3rd link on my first post) and installed it a few days ago. Looks quite nice, but needed some bending to get a nice and tight fit.

The stealership here sells a similar fake leather covered phone-mount-thingy that is mounted about on the same spot as the Dashmount (the link points to a Hungarian site)
http://www.dunamotor.hu/mazda5/pics_kiegeszitok/mobiltart%F3/CC29-V0-860%2002.jpg
Anyways, the price for that is a ridiculous 105 US$ plus mounting so no deal there thank you, I'm not that desperate yet.

Also, I purchased a Dension ice>Link (the cradle version) and mounted my iPod onto that. Once connected, the iPod simulates a CD changer and should be controllable using the HU or steering wheel buttons. It seems that the firmware version of the HU is newer that Dension currently supports, and there are some control issues that need to be fixed. Would likely work in a Mazda3 or Mazda6 just fine.

pureimport said:
If its just for your ipod have you considered the ipad sticky?

I put mine on the left side of the shifter. It leaves no sticky residue when you take it off and it holds the ipod great.

To make it sticky again just wash w/ soap and water

10cdn at best buy

i figured $8 at compusa was worth trying an "iGrip" ... even though the name makes me laugh every time I see it.

It's actually worked pretty well, so far. It is just a little too big for that space to the left of the shifter, so it hangs off a bit, but the iPod only fell off a couple times, and I can't be sure that either of those times weren't me pulling on the cable or something.

Attachments

• 511363.jpg
    511363.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 30519030.jpg
    30519030.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 203
I have one of those "stick pads" too, but not the "i" branded one for my ipod. The black one was cheaper ;) It is stuck to the right of my shifter too and the iPod has never fallen off. I think I'll have to wash it off soon though, lots of dust getting stuck there.

But I like them a lot!

Back