Mazda5 Engine

yewtrees

We are so excited to pick up our long-waited Mazda5 touring tomorrow afternoon. Our question is how do we properly break in the new engine? We know it is important to do it right from the beginning if we intend to keep the car for a long haul. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! (usa)

RTM!! :)

600 miles, no cruise control or constant speed.
Do not go over 5000 RMP
Do not slam on the brakes, be gentle
Do not spin the wheels from a stop

So, just have fun, but drive it like you borrowed it from your aging grandma who needs it for traveling to the hosital, not like you stole it.

Ha, I used the cruise and kept constant speed a lot during break in. Of course, I commute 100 miles a day so I was over 600 miles fairly quickly. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and have 1800 miles on it already.

Kid Red said:

Do not go over 5000 RMP

So, just have fun, but drive it like you borrowed it from your aging grandma who needs it for traveling to the hosital, not like you stole it.

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. By following your advice, our car would keep going and going like an energizer bunny for a long haul. :)

heya

Looks like you got the correct answer and if you would read chapter 4 it specifically spells out how to "break in the Mazda 5".

There are plenty of hints in the manual in your car and really easy to read.

As for the reason..... we need to vary the speed of the engine to allow the valves to create a pocket (aka Seated) in the "head" of the engine. The better the valves are "seated" the longer the life of the valves (oil or exhaust gasses will not seep thru valve seats) and hence the engine will last longer for your pleasure.

Sounds like ur goin to have fun... after breakin period enjoy the ride.

Charles J P said:
Ha, I used the cruise and kept constant speed a lot during break in. Of course, I commute 100 miles a day so I was over 600 miles fairly quickly. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and have 1800 miles on it already.

Wow. I got mine last August, and I'm at around 3700. :)

(Of course, I had it at the dealers for a few weeks for the recall, but still....)

i've had mine 2 weeks now and have gotten it up to almost 400. I've got to put 200 more on it this week as I'm going on a longish trip next weekend and really want to be able to use the cruise control and not feel like I'm damaging the engine.

Guess it's back to cruising around town :D Think I'll go out for lunch!

X10James said:
i've had mine 2 weeks now and have gotten it up to almost 400. I've got to put 200 more on it this week as I'm going on a longish trip next weekend and really want to be able to use the cruise control and not feel like I'm damaging the engine.

Guess it's back to cruising around town :D Think I'll go out for lunch!

I've had mine for two weeks and I'm up to 1900 (boom07)

Kid Red said:

Do not go over 5000 RMP

Uh oh, I think I made some mistakes.

Back