Burning smell after 10 minutes on the highway

tcw

I took a test drive in a new Mazda5 (auto) on the highway. When I put the pedal to the floor (only for 15~20 seconds), it shift down to the 3rd gear for the extra power. It's a bit loud as expected and it's acceptable. What bothers me is when I stopped the car and got out, there is a very bad burning smell. The salesman said it's probably the conditioner they put on the engine in the factory for shipping and it will clear out. (uhm) Did you smell anything like this? Will it be related to the exhaust recall?

tcw said:
I took a test drive in a new Mazda5 (auto) on the highway. When I put the pedal to the floor (only for 15~20 seconds), it shift down to the 3rd gear for the extra power. It's a bit loud as expected and it's acceptable. What bothers me is when I stopped the car and got out, there is a very bad burning smell. The salesman said it's probably the conditioner they put on the engine in the factory for shipping and it will clear out. (uhm) Did you smell anything like this? Will it be related to the exhaust recall?

All new cars have that smell. It's the new parts breaking in.

tcw said:

The smell came from the conditioner Mazda spread at the assembly line to prevent salt from getting to the engine parts during the shipment across the ocean from Japan to the states.

My guess would be the coatingthat they put on the exhaust so it does not flash rust. It's the same goo that is on exhaust that you buy from your local autoparts store. I also smelled it after the exhaust recall.

No worries...unless you see thick smoke and/or flames in the rearview!!

I had the same smell and the guys here said mostly new car smell related. Well, almost two weeks later and the smell is almost completely gone. I could really smell it after getting out of the 5 in the garage. Now, it's barely noticeable.

yes, I also noticed it quite strongly the first few times returning to the garage, but the burning smell is totally gone now.

Unless you forgot to take the parking break off? :)

Back