Mazda5 Touring

yewtrees

My wife and I went to test drive a Mazda5 yesterday. We liked it so much and bought one right there :). The saleman who just started two months ago couldn't tell us the differences between the Sport and the Touring when I tried to ask him several cars on the lot. Since I did an extensive research about Mazda5, I knew more than he did. :)
We picked the carbon-gray Touring. Since they don't have one on the lot, the manager found one elsewhere and it will be delivered to us next week. We also added a DVD player and tinted windows. Right before we left, I asked the same saleman a question whether my Touring came with the sunroof to test his knowledge again, he told me the car didn't come with it. (hah)
We cannot wait to pick up our car next week.

yewtrees said:
My wife and I went to test drive a Mazda5 yesterday. We liked it so much and bought one right there :). The saleman who just started two months ago couldn't tell us the differences between the Sport and the Touring when I tried to ask him several cars on the lot. Since I did an extensive research about Mazda5, I knew more than he did. :)
We picked the carbon-gray Touring. Since they don't have one on the lot, the manager found one elsewhere and it will be delivered to us next week. We also added a DVD player and tinted windows. Right before we left, I asked the same saleman a question whether my Touring came with the sunroof to test his knowledge again, he told me the car didn't come with it. (hah)

Maybe there's a upper limit on IQ at Mazda dealerships. I had the same experience, the salespeople didn't know their product at all... and I had a better idea of the price of options than they did. You'd think they'd know price differences at the very least

I feel your pain. In my experience it extends to the managers too.

When I bought my Touring, the finance manager put MX-5 on the purchase order. He was clueless about the differences between a Mazda5 and a MX-5. He thought that it was the same car. : )

As much as I would like to have a Miata convertiable, my pregnant wife was not going for it.

The dealership gave us a blue Mazda5 as a loaner car to drive before we pick up our own next week. It was so funny that when I asked the saleman if this blue car is the Sport version, he said he had to look at his inventory data. From the outside mirrors, I already knew that it is the Sport version. He kept asking me how I did that and I told him the trick. (cabpatch)
This car drives like a dream car. It handles very well on a highway as well as in a city. I cannot wait to take it to a long trip to Orlando this coming summer. Anyone taking Mazda5 on a long trip yet? Please share your experiences with us. Thanks.

Yewtrees, I'm taking my Mazda5 to Orlando this April. I'm really looking forward to this trip, as this car seems to be made for the highway.

Stargazer said:
Yewtrees, I'm taking my Mazda5 to Orlando this April. I'm really looking forward to this trip, as this car seems to be made for the highway.
Stargazer: What color is your Mazda5? Please share some of your road experiences with this car with us after you come back from the trip. I am sure you would be glad to drive a Mazda5. **Zoom Zoom **

I live in Orlando and I've been driving I-4 a lot lately (son was just born Sunday) and it's nice on the highway. There's some road noise on those old concrete roads, but it's butter smooth on newer paved roads. I've cruised at 85 with no issues.

My Mazda5 is stellar silvergreen. The fun factor a.k.a the "zoom zoom" factor makes this such a surprising car. I can't explain it, but something about the way this car handles that makes me drive faster.

Congrats, Kid Red.

Nice! When you get it - I'd like to see pics of the dealer option DVD player installed.

My sister-in-law who lives in Jacksonville (we're in NJ) just called me yesterday to get my impressions. They don't have kids but they're musicians and they often have to haul gear or other band members. At first they were thinking of getting a subaru Forester - but with the great deals on the 5 plus the greater amount of flexibility of storage/seating - they are definitely leaning towards gettinig the 5 - a Base Cardinal Red.

miatafied said:
Nice! When you get it - I'd like to see pics of the dealer option DVD player installed.

My sister-in-law who lives in Jacksonville (we're in NJ) just called me yesterday to get my impressions. They don't have kids but they're musicians and they often have to haul gear or other band members. At first they were thinking of getting a subaru Forester - but with the great deals on the 5 plus the greater amount of flexibility of storage/seating - they are definitely leaning towards gettinig the 5 - a Base Cardinal Red.

We got our car in Kansas City. Since the DVD comes with two wireless headphones and we have three kids, the dealer gave us one free (part of the negotiation). We went to two dealerships and the other one only has one Mazda5 Sport with stick. We were told to wait for 120 days if we wanted to take the carbon-grey Touring. This car sells like hotcakes throughtout Asia and Europe. That is the main reason Mazda doesn't have any incentives/rebates for this model. If you can get $500 below the invoice, you are very lucky. We paid pretty much full price to get the one we liked--except one free headphone. (cheers2)

I bought my 5 Sport in July in Northern New Jersey and got well below invoice. I tried to get my deposit back after finding a better deal elsewhere and the salses manager asked me it it was going to take and I made a ridiculous counter offer that they accepted. The salses guy knowingly lied to me to try to get me into the touring. He told me that ABS and side airbags were not standard on the 5 sport and that by the time you paid for the extras the Touring was actually cheaper. Nice to know they are out there making an honest living off of hard working people.

Tushawn said:
I bought my 5 Sport in July in Northern New Jersey and got well below invoice. I tried to get my deposit back after finding a better deal elsewhere and the salses manager asked me it it was going to take and I made a ridiculous counter offer that they accepted. The salses guy knowingly lied to me to try to get me into the touring. He told me that ABS and side airbags were not standard on the 5 sport and that by the time you paid for the extras the Touring was actually cheaper. Nice to know they are out there making an honest living off of hard working people.

It amazed me how little knowledge those salesmen knew about the products they were selling. You would think that they knew eveything since they made living out of it. WRONG!!!
I've read several threads about the price people paid on Mazda5. It varied from state to state. May be I am not that smart to do the negotiation with the dealership. I probably need to take a quick course of better negotiation. :)

(friday)
Kid Red said:
I live in Orlando and I've been driving I-4 a lot lately (son was just born Sunday) and it's nice on the highway. There's some road noise on those old concrete roads, but it's butter smooth on newer paved roads. I've cruised at 85 with no issues.

Congrats on the car AND the baby boy!
(friday)

In Canada we take training courses and in some cases buy the car....... sorry to hear your salesperson failed. Next time come to Canada to buy it.

yewtrees said:

We finally got our carbon-gray Mazda5 Touring with a DVD player on friday. I love it so much that I spend five hours yesterday to check the car around from top to bottom, inside out and front to back. I have developed an obsessive compulsive disorder. :)
The tinted windows from the dealership are looking good on the carbon-gray Mazda5. The kids love the DVD player also installed at the dealership. We are now a happy camper and ready for our summer trip to Orlando. :)

yewtrees said:
We finally got our carbon-gray Mazda5 Touring with a DVD player on friday. I love it so much that I spend five hours yesterday to check the car around from top to bottom, inside out and front to back. I have developed an obsessive compulsive disorder. :)
The tinted windows from the dealership are looking good on the carbon-gray Mazda5. The kids love the DVD player also installed at the dealership. We are now a happy camper and ready for our summer trip to Orlando. :)

Pics! Pics! especially with the DVD player installed.

miatafied said:
Pics! Pics! especially with the DVD player installed.

It has been a crazy week in the midwest. With more than 100 tornadoes touched down in one day, I will wait until it is a clear day to take the pics. BTW, how do you download the pics to the thread?

yewtrees said:
It has been a crazy week in the midwest. With more than 100 tornadoes touched down in one day, I will wait until it is a clear day to take the pics. BTW, how do you download the pics to the thread?

When you are about to post - if you look there are additional options further down the page (if not click on the "advanced" option) Then click on "manage attachments" from there you will be able to browse your hard drive for the file and upload.

Back