AT sport mode

Picking up my 5 on thursday w/ sportmode(tip-tronic or whatever else you want to call it). Ive never driven a car w/tiptronic, but i driven a 5mt.

My question is when shifting do i have to take my foot off the gas then shift or foot on the gas and shift at the same time.

thanks for your help

It's like Pole Position! + up shifts and - down shifts. It's fun, but after becoming accustomed to automatics the past decade, I forget to shift sometimes and really have to remember to keep one hand on the shifter.

Kid Red said:
It's like Pole Position! + up shifts and - down shifts. It's fun, but after becoming accustomed to automatics the past decade, I forget to shift sometimes and really have to remember to keep one hand on the shifter.
that's what caused the exhaust fires

I was experimenting with this today :D the engine is so much quieter than my last car that I was able to get it to close to the redline without being aware of just how high it was revving. My old car sounded like it was going to fly apart that high so it was obvious...

So I can understand why someone might hit the limiter without realizing it.

Pureimport

Heya CONGRATS on the purchase.

As for the Automatic Trans and the Sport mode shifter remember these rules:

1) you can keep your foot on the gas like a regular automatic when shifting between gears. (downshifting you can relax the gas)
2) it is sequential; meaning that it goes 1...2....3 etc. NOT 1...3 (imposible)
3) YOU are responsible to change the gears (respect RPM and look at digital display of what gear your in)
4) if you are in say 3rd gear and your car comes to a 0 RPM state (a stop) you gear will start back at the first Gear. Yup sounds semi automatic eh.
5) You can shift from Manual To regular DRIVE mode on the fly and vis versa.
6) As a fellow canadian you can start your car in SECOND gear from a dead stop. prevents wheel spin.

As for the over rev part we also changed the software in the computer to prevent the issue from over rev to my knowledge. Like the Mazda 3 there is a rev limiter to prevent damage...... but I don't think it is something you should play with.

ENJOY your MAZDA 5

Back