CPU module upgrade?

Huttcraft

I'm in the market for a Mazda5 but concerned about its limited power. I read the thread inviting interest in an aftermarket turbo but from my perspective that's like killing an ant with a sledgehammer. I'd like 30 or 40 more horses, not necessarily a hundred. Is anyone marketing a chip upgrade yet? Seems to me that might be more my speed than a turbo, and may also preserve the warranty.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dave

I found one tuner parts supplier selling a product called "map-ecu" for the Mazda5. Apparently it replaces the MAF and uses air temp and manifold pressure as inputs. Then the map-ecu computer figures out what MAF signal to send to the OEM ECU. They say that they're working on the programming, but you're probably on your own to tweak it...

http://www.corksport.com/store/category/akar/MZ5_Engine.html

price is $649, though I've seen the same item elsewhere without any promise of programming for $499.

There is also the Jet Chip upgrade program where you send them your ECU and they reprogram it to your specs.

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=14478

$399 MSRP though it's only $277 if you buy from an online parts dealer like

http://jetperformance.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/31242/65002

I have no idea how either of these options actually performs. But they're out there....

On other cars I've chipped (BMW's mostly) I've seen 10-15hp increase from a chip. I don't think you're going to get the 40hp increase that you want, just from a chip.

Last edited:
Andrewc: You've seen 10-15 corrected hp on a dyno from only a chip? Nothing else? Not even fuel or octane changes? On a naturally-aspirated, engine? That's very difficult for me to believe. Does that include ECU control (alteration) of valve timing?

My buddy's 1992 BMW M5 jumped from 310hp to 340 hp w/ a Dinan stage 2 chip. oooh that's some get up and go. (thumb)

bulwnkl said:
Andrewc: You've seen 10-15 corrected hp on a dyno from only a chip? Nothing else? Not even fuel or octane changes? On a naturally-aspirated, engine? That's very difficult for me to believe. Does that include ECU control (alteration) of valve timing?

Haven't seen it on a dyno so I'm relying on the chip tuner's claims, but Yes, only a chip. I always ran these cars on premium fuel, though I think with the chip it becomes a requirement. Naturally aspirated - the M5 was a 256hp 3.5L I-6 and the 325 was a 168hp 2.5L I-6. I don't think either of my BMW's had variable valve timing.

1) 1988 BMW M5,
Dinan description from their web site:

"Part #: Call Dinan
Price: $249.00
Labor Units: 8
Emission Status: 50 State Emission Legal
Peak Horsepower: 294 @ 6000 rpm
Peak Horsepower Gain: 48 @ 6000 rpm
Peak Torque: 295 lb/ft @ 250 rpm
Peak Torque Gain: 11 lb/ft @ 6000 rpm
Point Value: 2

Dinan Performance Engine Chips unleash more power by re-programming the fuel mixture and ignition timing parameters of the engine management system. Furthermore, the software safely raises the rev-limit, giving your BMW a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. Significant gains are also achieved at part throttle, making extra power available where you spend the bulk of the time driving."

Umm, there's a math error or typo in there somewhere since 256 + 48 = 304, not 294. It's probably 38hp increase.

2) 1991 325iX. Here's the advertised specs:

"E30 325i/iX 1987-91 Turner Motorsport Conforti Performance Chip
Need to breath more life into your engine? Add a TMS Performance Chip! These chips were tuned by Jim Conforti on the dyno to maximize the engine's efficiency when using 91 octane gasoline. The result is more horsepower and better torque - especially in the mid-range of the RPM band. The car really feels more alive!

Horsepower Gain + 15 @ 5000 RPM
Torque Gain + 15 @ 5000 RPM
New Rev Limit 6900 RPM"

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
Not sure on a Mazda but a co-worker added a chip to his 95 Z-28. (actually a Hypertech programmer) I don't know the horsepower #'s but the difference was AMAZING. Stock, I was not impressed, "chipped", it was like a different car.

I think you should look around the Focus Forums(same engine?). There might be some info there or even mazda3forums.com.

Back