air intake -anyone with experience

Kid Red said:
There's an air intake system that is sopposed to up HP and improve gas mileage and I was wondering if anyone has experince with this sort of thing? It's $75 and seems fairly simple to install.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=143&pid=1318

I'd do it if I knew the improvements were legit. Anyone with thoughts?

I never understood how a system can increase HP and improve gas mileage at the sametime.

In order to increase HP, one typically has to increase air flow into the engine. However, with the increase air flow, you must (or should) increase the fuel flow to get the right air/fuel mixture. Otherwise, you're running the engine too lean and that creates more heat, which robs HP. So, if you have to increase fuel flow to the engine, then that would lower your mpg numbers...(dunno)

Not to mention now you'll have to play around with the exhaust otherwise the backpressure on the stock exhaust will also rob you of HP.

I tried a K&N filter that was suppose to increase HP and gas mileage on my 2000 Honda CRV for almost three years. I really didn't noticed any HP gain (couldn't beat old ladies with v-8 buicks), but my gas mileage did drop down to around the mid 20's on highway and the car was a lot louder. About six months ago, I switched back to a regular air filter and my gas mileage is now in the upper 20's and it's a lot quieter than before. But I still can't out drag old ladies with v-8 buicks... :)

My two cents...

I think the idea is that when you have more power (due to the colder, denser air) the explosion and energy transfered to the wheels pushes you further than it did before the modification was installed. Therefore, by having the throttle at the same position, with the intake you will go farther than you would without the intake. Does that make sense?

It makes sense, it's just not what happens. You don't get better mpg on a computer-controlled, fuel injected car. Better mpg claims come from carbureted cars. Carburetors' mixtures are affected by air filter restriction. Electronic fuel injection is not. The mixture will be precisely controlled by the computer in accordance with the MAF/MAP sensor and feedback from the O2 sensor.

If you change filters from one with slightly higher restriction to one with slightly lower restriction, you would get an infinitessimal increase in airflow at any given throttle opening. The ECU would then inject that ever so slightly greater amount of fuel to keep the mixture correct, you'd make 1/1000 of a hp more power, and your car would accelerate. So, you'd have to close the throttle ever so slightly to maintain a constant speed. Thus, your air filter may be less restrictive, but your throttle plate is more restrictive by an equal amount and everything is offset; no potential for a mpg increase.

The only exception to this is at WOT. IF one filter is less restrictive than another, then at WOT pumping losses will be lower and you will theoretically get both more hp and more mpg. How ludicrously overloaded is your car that you're spending any amount of time at all at WOT? If you're racing, do you really care about that extra fuel cost compared with all the other factors involved?

Ah, you will gain some HP? Enough of a boost to warrant $80 and the time & effort? What would you guess as far as possible HP gain? And this would not hurt MPG as mentioned above would it?

I've seen dyno charts each way for K&Ns. Unsurprisingly, the K&N company charts always show higher hp with their filter. The private person's BMW chart I'm thinking of shows higher power with a stock filter.

Kid Red said:
Ah, you will gain some HP? Enough of a boost to warrant $80 and the time & effort? What would you guess as far as possible HP gain? And this would not hurt MPG as mentioned above would it?

1-2 hp gain maybe - mpg changes up or down will also be small. My concern is that you're sucking in hot air from close to the engine.

Not a lot of $$ and easy to install - if you like the look I'd say go for it. Nothing wrong with a little bling under the hood. Just keep your expectations low.

bulwnkl said:
I've seen dyno charts each way for K&Ns. Unsurprisingly, the K&N company charts always show higher hp with their filter. The private person's BMW chart I'm thinking of shows higher power with a stock filter.

I also think the HP gain would be higher in the rpm. So to harness the extra HP gain, you'll have to rev the snot out of it.

:)

Hey you know...maybe this is how the whole recall thing got started. ;)

A couple of guys got air intake systems and inorder to experienced the HP increase, they had to run it near redline. Thus overheating the exhaust and burning up the car...

Humm...I wonder...

:)

Ah ok, that's a minor increase. I'm a father of two and this is a family car, but a simple air filter that could have potentially made a noticeble difference and I would have gone the ricer route when I normally only upgrade the audio ;)

When you're looking at something as small as the air filter for hp gains, most of the time you are LOOKING to squeeze performance out of the car. A simple air filter/intake won't do miracles but yes, at higher rpm's the engine can breathe better, therefore your power carries through. Will it help in the low end? A little, just don't expect miracles.

Kid Red said:
There's an air intake system that is sopposed to up HP and improve gas mileage and I was wondering if anyone has experince with this sort of thing? It's $75 and seems fairly simple to install.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=143&pid=1318

I'd do it if I knew the improvements were legit. Anyone with thoughts?

There is a guy on MPVclub.com that has the CAI installed and he says it makes a difference.

the_saint said:
There is a guy on MPVclub.com that has the CAI installed and he says it makes a difference.

I just checked out that thread. I'll wait till a few more people try it first.

Back