mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
2060220.002.mini1L.jpg

2060220.002.mini2L.jpg

2060220.002.mini3L.jpg

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Designed for North America[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Mazda Motor Corporation today held a ceremony to mark the start of production of the all-new Mazda CX-7 for the North American market at the Ujina Plant No. 2 (U2) located near Mazda's global headquarters in Hiroshima. Mazda's President and CEO, Hisakazu Imaki, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) President and CEO Jim O'Sullivan, along with approximately 700 Mazda staff, comprised of several senior executives, union representatives and employees attended this event. The Mazda CX-7 was designed and engineered with the North American market in mind and will be arriving in North American dealerships in spring 2006. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]"I am very pleased to be here today and celebrate the production start of the Mazda CX-7, the first of a series of important vehicles for the North American market," said Hisakazu Imaki. "Jim O'Sullivan from Mazda North American Operations has been eagerly waiting for this moment and is here to personally witness the production start of Mazda CX-7, a key model in our North American plans. As we look to the future, Mazda is working hard to make high quality vehicles that embody the essence of Zoom-Zoom to satisfy our customers. To do so, we will continue working closely with our North American team, keeping in mind the company motto, "One Mazda", to make sure the launch of this vehicle is a great success."[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]The Mazda CX-7 is a clean break from the fleet of traditional SUVs currently offered. Bringing together performance and design like never before, the Mazda CX-7--like every Mazda--was engineered with the Soul of a Sportscar. The result is inviting to look at, entertaining to drive, and fun to use. The Mazda CX-7 premiered at the Greater Los Angeles and the North American International Auto Shows earlier on this year. The vehicle concept and stylish design have been well accepted globally. [/font]

source:http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...production-start-for-mazda-cx-7-crossover-suv

i'm thinking it will do pretty well. i think it hits on the things that draw people to crossover SUVs in the first place.

if i were in the market for a non-truck SUV, it would be high on the list. while the 6-spd auto is nice, it's too bad there's no manual offered.

the 6-spd manual that looks like it's in the MS3 would be sweet....forester XT-killer?

unless it, too, has issues with the TMIC on the 2.3... We'll see how this one does.

(cool)...Yeah I look forward to see how it does on the market...Which car mag will have the 1st review?

I hope top gear gets ahold of this. Is the CX7 going to europe?

Sexiest crossover I have ever seen.

i couldnt be less impressed with this car....i think im more likely to buy an escape/tribute. If I ever was in the market for something like this I cant think of any way I wind up in this instead of a murano.

the obesity of the rear 3/4 and the bubbliness of the front fender destroy the profile (wheels certainly dont help) and the front is kinda neat looking but not enough to make up for the side and rear..

Its quite murano meets rx8 I would never drive one.

BUt hell I look foward to seeing them on the road. Much better looking then any of the big suv's, and more sporty then the other crossovers. Cant wait to see them in person, although I dont know who would buy one.

slug420 said:
i couldnt be less impressed with this car....i think im more likely to buy an escape/tribute. If I ever was in the market for something like this I cant think of any way I wind up in this instead of a murano.

the obesity of the rear 3/4 and the bubbliness of the front fender destroy the profile (wheels certainly dont help) and the front is kinda neat looking but not enough to make up for the side and rear..

You couldn't be less impressed with this car? That's a bit harsh. Personally, I like it. Styling wise, while it definitey looks a little like the Murano, the Murano looks like nothing else on the road. (and this after its been on the road a couple years) The Murano has some awkward styling cues (like the front grille) whereas this vehicle, imo, has a nice clean look. The Tribute/Escape??? You gota be kidding! Those are so... blah in comparrison. Talk about looking like every other vehicle.. there's absolutely nothing unique about them. This thing has a bit of a futuristic look to it. Would I buy it? Nah... not my type of ride. Will America buy it? If it performs well and is priced right, I'd be shocked if they don't. Though it's way too early to know, it looks like Mazda's got another hit with this one.

The more I look at it...The more I like it...If I need a family hauler or sporty UV...I wouldn't think twice before getting one...DON'T FORGET it's got a turbo 4 and that means great power potential!

I'm sure in even stock form it will out handle most other sporty CUV's and even some cars!

Antoine said:
The more I look at it...The more I like it...If I need a family hauler or sporty UV...I wouldn't think twice before getting one...DON'T FORGET it's got a turbo 4 and that means great power potential!

I'm sure in even stock form it will out handle most other sporty CUV's and even some cars!
is that the only engine option?

slug420 said:

Cosmetics of a vehicle are personal preference. I happen to think the CX-7 looks good from every angle. The bottom line is that the CX-7 will drive circles around a Murano. Murano's 1/4 mile is in the 16's, the CX-7 will be high 14's, not even close. The CX-7 will pull high .8x g's on the skidpad and stop on a dime, The Murano is a dump truck compared to the CX-7. The interior styling and quality will also blow away the cheap Nissan interior. So really the Murano is no competition for the CX-7 if you're looking for something sporty. The Murano is more competition for the Ford Explorer, not the sporty CX-7.

Mazda3 said:
Murano's 1/4 mile is in the 16's, the CX-7 will be high 14's, not even close. The CX-7 will pull high .8x g's on the skidpad and stop on a dime, The Murano is a dump truck compared to the CX-7.

where'd you get that skidpad number? i hadnt seen it before

slug420 said:
where'd you get that skidpad number? i hadnt seen it before

Inside knowledge that will become public in a couple of months when the magazine tests come out. My reason for posting this is that most people don't seem to grasp what this vehicle is about. The CX-7 isn't an upgraded Tribute, allthough it shares similar styling with the Murano it isn't competition for the heavy, mediocre handling, slow Murano. The CX-7 is a bargain priced FX45. The only thing that comes close in its price range is the new RAV4.

The CX-7 is a sports car with SUV type usefullness. The Murano is an SUV with sporty looks.

I agree with everything that was said about the Murano...

that said, some people (think typical housewife) don't care about sporty performance. Maybe they just like the way the Murano looks... I'm not sure if this CX-7 will be competing wtih the Murano so maybe it's irrelevant. If it's not, then I suppose it would be competing with the tribute.. which doesn't make any sense. lol so maybe it's creating a whole new segment.

Back