aftermarket headunit...

hey guys. quick question...although i do not own a ms6 YET, i was just wondering about the headunit/display.

have any of u put in an aftermarket head unit? cause i woulda wanna use the one in my current car, but the set up in the ms6 is so different i dunno how id make it work...

elieleb1303 said:
what exactly does this kit consist of?

If it's what I think it is, it's from Metra. The kit is actually silver to match the earlier model 6's. I have one and have had it painted to match my Speed6's dash (with the grain also). I will be installing my Alpine IVA-D310 shortly.

DPSpeed said:
If it's what I think it is, it's from Metra. The kit is actually silver to match the earlier model 6's. I have one and have had it painted to match my Speed6's dash (with the grain also). I will be installing my Alpine IVA-D310 shortly.

I dont think it's the Metra one this one is black cost 2 bills. I will post a link today.

xrayracer said:
I dont think it's the Metra one this one is black cost 2 bills. I will post a link today.

There must be 2 mfg's, the Metra one costs 180. Part# 99-7503

DPSpeed said:
There must be 2 mfg's, the Metra one costs 180. Part# 99-7503

*Update*

The current model 99-7503 Metra dash kit WILL NOT work with the 06 Speed6 (bose), in fact I don't think it will work with any 06 model. The electronics have changed in the 06 models and the kit causes the AC controls to light up like a xmas tree. The plug also changed this year that interfaces with the stock mazda display, therefore you will not see what mode the climate control is in. I learned the hard way after buying the kit and having it painted to match the speed6's dash. Sure you can still use it, but it's useless if you don't know what mode your in while using the climate controls (the only thing that shows up on the display is the clock).

Called Metra - their response was "we have not tested it with the 06 models and can't guarantee it will work". I e-mailed them and asked if there will be an update for the electronics but I'm not holding my breath. Since it took soo long for the kit to come out for the 03-05 models, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
DPSpeed said:
*Update*

The current model 99-7503 Metra dash kit WILL NOT work with the 06 Speed6 (bose), in fact I don't think it will work with any 06 model. The electronics have changed in the 06 models and the kit causes the AC controls to light up like a xmas tree. The plug also changed this year that interfaces with the stock mazda display, therefore you will not see what mode the climate control is in. I learned the hard way after buying the kit and having it painted to match the speed6's dash. Sure you can still use it, but it's useless if you don't know what mode your in while using the climate controls (the only thing that shows up on the display is the clock).

Called Metra - their response was "we have not tested it with the 06 models and can't guarantee it will work". I e-mailed them and asked if there will be an update for the electronics but I'm not holding my breath. Since it took soo long for the kit to come out for the 03-05 models, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

there is another one out there for the speed6 my local hi end shop can get them for 2bills each the only problem is that they are black and no chrome trim.

xrayracer said:
there is another one out there for the speed6 my local hi end shop can get them for 2bills each the only problem is that they are black and no chrome trim.

I'm interested, who makes the kit?

DPSpeed said:
I'm interested, who makes the kit?
dude I will find for sure in the morning for this thread I was going to have them put in a nav unit the n2 from pioneer but waiting for the n3 this spring.

xrayracer said:
dude I will find for sure in the morning for this thread I was going to have them put in a nav unit the n2 from pioneer but waiting for the n3 this spring.

Thanks.............dude

MS6 Alan said:
That would be nice, any updates?

the shop was wrong I went to get a install done it was available for the speed6 they thoght it was the same for the 6 and it was the metra kit

xray

Back