MSP vs MS6: My personal thoughts

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
I wrote this response to Orphman after he asked what I thought about the MS6 as compared to my MSP. This is just a brief synopsis of my thoughts about my new ride. It is in no way a comprehensive discussion, but just a short description of my thoughts.

In short, I love both cars. Both are awesome in different ways. My MSP is modded quite a bit, while my MS6 is currently stock. The MSP is definitely NOT a slouch and certainly surprises people when I get on it. However, the MS6 is literally a beast when it comes to acceleration. We are talking V8, slap-your-ass-back in your seat kind of acceleration. This is in the wet or in the dry. I can hardly wait until the summer so that I can truly get a sense of its performance.

However, it is a bigger AND heavier car than the MSP. While I have only had a small opportunity to get a sense of this before the snow arrived, I can tell that the turn-in is not as crisp as the MSP. If youi have ever driven the MSP right after driving a high-performance go-kart you will understand what I am describing. When you first get back into your MSP after driving a go-kart the steering although responsive feels somewhat numb in comparison to the go-kart. The same is true when driving the MS6 after driving the MSP. The car is heavier and doesn't behave the same way when it comes to the twisties as does the MSP.

That being said, the instant torque (over 3000 RPM) available makes exiting the corners effortless. With the traction control off there is NO problem spinning all 4 tires for a second before they hook up and warp speed is engaged. I just love it. It is easily the quickest car that I have driven (save the WRX STi) including a 5.0L Mustang with a Paxton supercharger, a WS6 Firebird, and a G35 Sport coupe.

As for finish, I am more than happy with the quality of the finish. Others have complained, but I think that they are splitting hairs. The quality is a step up from the MSP and more than adequate for the price I paid. When I compare it to other cars in the price range that I tested, it fits right in. It might not be as luxurious as the Audi or a BMW, but neither is its price. Personally, I feel like I am driving an Audi or a BMW at a bargain basement price. The best part is that the car is not super-common like either of those marques, but rather unique. In a city of 1 million where I see Audis, BMWs, and Legacy GTs everywhere, I have yet to see even another MS6 in town even though I know that nearly 10 have been sold already. Ultimately, I know that there will be less than 20 in town when all is said and done. That is cool in my book.

People who know what it is will be appreciative. Those who don't won't. Hopefully, they'll wet themselves when they get surprised by the performance of this slick sleeper.

I love this car and I've only had it 3 months. I can hardly wait to awake the sleeping giant that lies underneath its sleeper exterior.

R

Excellent review. I agree with you about the MS6 weight. It definitely feels less nimble than my previous ride, a TSX. But the AWD power is awesome. I'll wager that the handling can be improved to be more "go-kart"-like with upgraded swaybars and perhaps a 1" drop.

GLad you posted for all! i was going to comment you should post you email. thanks again!

Great review! I know what you mean driving the MSP after a go-kart and if the MS6 feels like that after the MSP, then it's prolly not a car for me!

nvmsp said:
ur falling in love with ur new car just like the MSP. You *****. lol

In the year 2006 I figure that it is OK to have more than one mistress as long as I'm on the up and up with 'em both...LOL! The MSP was my first true love, but she won't be my only!

(thumb)
R

Latest posts

Back