What is the best way to Buff marks off bumper?

pbdave

:
Mazda 5 GT Black
well... after an unfortunate run in with a blue newspaper box, I now have blue paint decorating the passenger side of the front bumper on our (otherwise) beautiful black 5.

I buffed off alot of the paint/marks by hand with just a cotton towel, but there are some really stubborn bits that will not come off. I don't want to damage the paint on the bumper further, and am trying to avoid swirl marks as well.

Any tips?

I've found in the past that the Maguire Step#2 polish works well on taking out minor marks.

Wuster said:
I've found in the past that the Maguire Step#2 polish works well on taking out minor marks.

thanks for the tip. That stuff is abraisive polish right? Any concerns when using it on a black vehicle?

If you leave marks, you just go to the next step in the Maguire line to remove the swirls. Would you rather have minor swirls or paint in your bumper? Any way, bummer about it in the first place :(

pbdave said:
thanks for the tip. That stuff is abraisive polish right? Any concerns when using it on a black vehicle?

It is, but it's very easy on the paint. I usually follow up with the Step#3 wax and haven't had much problems with swirl marks.

It's hard to keep swirl marks off of a black or dark color car. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you should apply in the direction of the wind (or front to back) to miminize the swirl marks.

Good luck!

What's the best wax? I want to protect the finish as much as possible- is there a waiting period before the first wax?

I have always had good luck with the Meguiars, and Zymol products.
For best finish, you will want to polish, then wax. The polish will clean the surface of the paint in preperation for a protective coat of wax.

I find it is best to concentrate on one body panel at a time, ie. do the hood, then a fender, then the other fender, then the bumper, etc.

As far as waiting for a certain length of time for the paint on the new car to cure, I would resist polishing and waxing any new paint for a month. Since most new vehicles, by the time they are driven off the boat, and shipped to the dealer, are already 8 or more weeks old from being painted at the factory, this is not a concern.

Keep Zooming!

I used a 3M medium cutting compound to remove scratches from debadging my Lancer (the big ugly L A N C E R off the trunk). It smoothed out all the scratches, then I polished and waxed on top of that and it spawkled.

well... so far so good. used an abraisive wax to get off most of the marks. suprisingly didn't leave swirl marks, although I was trying to be very gentle. Still needs some work & a spot of touchup paint before I re-wax the whole are and than should about do it. Thanks for the tips!

Speaking of touch up paint, what's the best approach? I have the silver and it's black underneath the paint. I have like 2-3 tiny dots from pebble strikes I guess and would like to hide them.

Back