Mazda5 TV ad during Olympics Sun. 2/12 on NBC

andrewc

:
New Beetle TDI
Hey, anyone else see the Mazda5 television spots during the Winter Olympics Sunday night? There was just one spot, but it was repeated at least three times during the 4 1/2 hour evening program on NBC.

I haven't seen any advertising for the Mazda5 before - just thought I'd mention it.

My attempt at a Synopsis: Handsome twentysomething man in black leather jacket walks through high school hallway, getting looks at every turn. He eventually reaches his wife at a desk (teacher?) and she smiles too. Camera pulls back to show he's got an infant strapped to his chest. The camera angles hid the child up until then....

After that the ad closes with the father strapping the child into the Mazda5 and driving away.

The tag line was something like "Mazda5. It's right...where everything else isn't".

Yup, saw it a couple of times. Kinda cute but... you kinda didn't notice the 5 that much. I have one so I noticed, but I feel everyone else probably missed it. Should made the car? van? SAV? more prominent somehow.

065 said:
Yup, saw it a couple of times. Kinda cute but... you kinda didn't notice the 5 that much. I have one so I noticed, but I feel everyone else probably missed it. Should made the car? van? SAV? more prominent somehow.

I'm proof that this ad was effective... Up until 3 days ago I had no clue what a Mazda5 was, or even that such a car existed... then I saw this commercial during the Olympics and immediately was excited because it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I saw the ad, shot onto MazdaUSA.com and fell in love with it the Mazda3 w/6 seats perfect for me because no kids right now, but the wife and I are planning on upwards of 4 kids in the next 10 years. This way I can still haul the kids and not have to drive a brick, er, I mean, minivan.

I actually just test drove one last night and it was like butta. They only had automatics in stock, but I was still surprised by the responsiveness of the engine and tranny considering its only a 2.3l 4-banger, even with 3 adults riding in it plenty performance for me. The sport shift worked well, although in the end, Ill probably still opt for the 5MT. I know I dont have to tell you guys this, but it handles like a dream! Suspensions tight as a drum and felt very sports-car-ish. And all this for $20k?!

Anyways, Im not planning on buying until about September, but Im all excited now that I found this car its a PERFECT fit for what Im looking for. It was either a regular old family sedan which really wouldnt do the job in a few years or the whole way up to a full size uninspiring SUV or Minivan. This is the perfect mesh of both worlds. So this commercial, especially airing continuously during the Olympics, is definitely an effective spot it transformed someone who had know idea what the car was a few days ago, to an almost guaranteed owner :D

BTW... wifey loves it too, and it takes A LOT to get her excited over a car!

Last edited:
Definitely drive a manual - they are much sportier than the automatics and really help to get the most out of the 2.3L engine. :)

Any complaints about the shifter with the 5MT? Is it slick and precise?

I know the impecable reputation that Honda's have when it comes to slick shifters... but the 06 Civic shifter SUCKED. Too damn notchy and vauge.

We saw that ad once, too. First TV ad we've seen for it.

I like the shift action in our 5-speed. My wife does, too. We're not terribly speedy shifters, though.

I know what you mean about Honda's reputation vs. reality. I even thought the '02 Civic's shift action was not that great. Both of my Neons ('96 and '00) were/are better, and those often got/get shifted quickly.

andrewc said:
Hey, anyone else see the Mazda5 television spots during the Winter Olympics Sunday night? There was just one spot, but it was repeated at least three times during the 4 1/2 hour evening program on NBC.

I haven't seen any advertising for the Mazda5 before - just thought I'd mention it.

My attempt at a Synopsis: Handsome twentysomething man in black leather jacket walks through high school hallway, getting looks at every turn. He eventually reaches his wife at a desk (teacher?) and she smiles too. Camera pulls back to show he's got an infant strapped to his chest. The camera angles hid the child up until then....

After that the ad closes with the father strapping the child into the Mazda5 and driving away.

The tag line was something like "Mazda5. It's right...where everything else isn't".

This commercial ran here in Canada back in July of last year, even seen it in the movie theatre before the show.

canadianexpress said:
This commercial ran here in Canada back in July of last year, even seen it in the movie theatre before the show.

Interesting that Mazda started TV advertising in Canada long before the U.S. - perhaps just another indication that Canadian fashion/style runs ahead of American tastes.

jandree22 said:
The sport shift worked well, although in the end, Ill probably still opt for the 5MT.

If you're considering the manual, then that's what you'll need to get. The automatic ain't bad, but don't settle for that because the manual is really that much better.

The 5spd is great! Smoother than the 3 and 8. The triple cone synchros on the 1-2 shift make a beautiful difference.

I love my 5 speed - and the other car I drive is a miata - sometimes while I'm shifting through the gears on the mazda5 - I realize that I'm just loving it. (And - I am a speedy driver - for a mini-mini-van it is so responsive and dare I say....agile!)

sure it's no miata.....but for a mini-mini-van it's the closest you'll ever get!

Last edited:
Hey Jandree22,

here's some of my impressions fron the "just drove the mazda5" thread.
and my eventual conclussion from the "Got my 5" thread.

"just drove the 5 on the Dealers"test loop". 15 mins of mixed driving. (utterly useless to really tell anything about this space vehicle) that being said...great brakes,the auto sucks, long live 5 speeds. hopefully the 5 speed helps the zoom zoom factor cuz after driving a Jetta for 14yrs the 5 (w/ auto) felt like a minivan. that said, turn in was crisp w/ only a little hint of oversteer @ the limit but man you could tell it wasn't a car. top heavy in a word. lowering springs would really help. the surge i've heard some talk of on this site is the variable valve timing so no big whoop. the seats suck. period. the head rest is not adjustable forward/backward. the seat is too short( it feels as though i'm sitting on a ledge) this can be cured when you get after market leather w/ the addition of more foam to better support the hamstrings. the lateral support is just fine. as well the steering wheel could tilt slightly lower. long and the short of it we still are looking for the new wheels."

pbd,
Its hard to argue the straight line ability of the 5. My 92 jetta has only 100hp compared to the 157, DOHC 4 banger w/ variable valve timing that sits in the 5. It should beat the jetta. I've only owned 5 speeds primarily because i really like to drive. Drive, as in find ways to invoke oversteer at every chance on a wet west coast day. Drive, as in drift the back end of my fathers dodge2500 cummins ( talk about head room ), drift my buddy's M5 and drive the rubber off the rims of my sisters MX5 ( wow!! is that not the most fun you can have with your fly done up :0 ). This on top of torturing all the cars I've owned. I have the bills and the depleated bank account to prove it.
Granted it may not be an entirely equal comparison. That said everyone on this sight has tried everything in their power to convince each other ( and anyone else who will listen) that the 5 is a car. Same class as the Matrix, which is a car. Built on a stretched 3 chassis, which is a car. Shares the same chassis w/ the Volvo S40 and the European Focus, again, cars. So the comparison is only unfair in that one's a sedan the other a hatch back. I guess I was just a little disapointed given all the fantastic things that everyone on this sight has been saying since it came on to the scene in N. America.( and all your info and post have been invaluable in doing the research for the next set of wheels-thank you). I know zoom -zoom, it's my sisters MX5 w/ 5speed. Her car was bomb proof over the years. WAY more so than my jetta. And as I said right at the start the dealer's test loop did not give me, or anyone else testing this car any real chance to truely exploit this cars potential. A 5 speed allows more control of a car in, through and out of corners. Period. They don't race automatics. I love every practical part of the 5 and the looks are dynomite. But until i drive this car in a 5 speed..... I stand by what i wrote. And you have to grant me the fact that the seats are no where near as comfortable as your old Jetta.

well.....the update. just drove a GS 5 5speed. I am thrilled to announce the decision has been made. Man the 5spd brings that thing to life!!!!! crisp shifts, really light clutch and a hell of a lot better ride. let it be known...AUTOMATICS ARE EVIL! My wife loved it. Especially the light clutch action.

Cool
Well a couple of days before the wife's b-day and it's done. We ordered our 5 today. GT 5 spd, in brilliant black. We got $200 off and got the dealer to throw in rear bumper cover, cargo net and the rear cargo cover. Too boot, the dealer only asked for $500 down. We're freak'in pumped. Everyone on this forum has been unbelievably helpful and I would like to say thanks. So...THANK YOU!! Now to make this day complete all that has to happen is that the Shithawks have gotta win the Superbowl. GO HAWKS GO!!!

GET THE 5 speed Jandree and welcome to the 5 owners club.:)

Puckpimp71 said:
The 5spd is great! Smoother than the 3 and 8. The triple cone synchros on the 1-2 shift make a beautiful difference.
Man I gotta test one... sounds yummy! (naughty)

Anyways... sorry for highjacking this thread about the commercial... just wanted to let ya'll know it's effective!

jandree22 said:
Man I gotta test one... sounds yummy! (naughty)

Anyways... sorry for highjacking this thread about the commercial... just wanted to let ya'll know it's effective!

Because of the production delays at the end of '05 calendar year, it took us 5 months to get our Mz5 with manual transmission. But we're just LOVING it. I can vouch for what the others are saying: the 5spd is really nice in this car. Similar transmission to the Mz3 (same gear ratios even), but they've added additional synchro cones to 1st, 2nd, (I think 3rd gear too?) so it really is a smooth, easy shift. Our car (NB: not van!!) still has fewer than 2000kms on it so everything is still breaking in. I was just noticing today that the shifter is noticably smoother than when it was new and still a little tight and 'crunchy'. More miles will surely make it even slicker.

You may have to order a 5spd and wait -- but it will be worth it. (We drove the 4spd auto while shopping too. It was still really a nice car, but the 5spd brings it to life and adds driving enjoyment too).

Just my $0.02

Good luck and welcome to the club! (first)

Back