The Mazda5 is so much fun to drive.

S

Stargazer

In some ways, I wish I had gotten the manual transmission. (Of course, first I would have to know how to drive one.) I told my husband this, and he just glared at me because he tried to talk me into a manual transmission from the beginning. Oh well, but it is fun to drive this car (quirks and all)! I just have to get use to that super fast acceleration after a stop. Wow!

Stargazer said:
In some ways, I wish I had gotten the manual transmission. (Of course, first I would have to know how to drive one.) I told my husband this, and he just glared at me because he tried to talk me into a manual transmission from the beginning. Oh well, but it is fun to drive this car (quirks and all)! I just have to get use to that super fast acceleration after a stop. Wow!
Quirks and all? do tell.

Why is it that people have an irrational fear of the stick.? it mystifies me. using a computer requires a hell of alot more talet.

theweev said:
Why is it that people have an irrational fear of the stick.? it mystifies me. using a computer requires a hell of alot more talet.

maybe it's because it requires the simultaneous moving of hands and feet.

I kinda miss driving stick. But with the traffic I sit in, my left calf would be twice the size of my right calf. ;)

theweev said:
I think it might be because people don't have to be afraid of stalling their computer in public, or rolling backwards in their desk and hitting the guy behind them because they haven't figured out the footwork yet.
But you are right, once you get the hang of a stick, it is much easier than using a computer. Atleast you can't get a virus in your car...well...you can, but that's a whole different subject. (boom07)

the_saint said:
I think it might be because people don't have to be afraid of stalling their computer in public, or rolling backwards in their desk and hitting the guy behind them because they haven't figured out the footwork yet.
But you are right, once you get the hang of a stick, it is much easier than using a computer. Atleast you can't get a virus in your car...well...you can, but that's a whole different subject. (boom07)
(lol)

the_saint said:
lol. saint you're killing me (lol) (drive2)

Last edited:
theweev said:

I have a friend that has a stick shift, and everyone in the neighborhood can hear those gears grinding whenever she shifts. It makes one shudder!

BTW, what makes the Mazda5 accelerate so fast. The engine isn't that powerful, but this car can really move from a standstill.

Stargazer said:
I have a friend that has a stick shift, and everyone in the neighborhood can hear those gears grinding whenever she shifts. It makes one shudder!

BTW, what makes the Mazda5 accelerate so fast. The engine isn't that powerful, but this car can really move from a standstill.

don't think of it as "grinding". just think of it as a jukebox that plays many tunes.;)

as for the acceleration. it could be 1 of 2 things. 1) you have an innordinately heavy right foot....or...2) Variable valve timing. ( the real answer.)

Last edited:
Stargazer said:

Low gearing. Older Subarus with only 78 hp are actually pretty darn quick off the line because they're geared so low.

My 5 is going to get me in trouble

Stargazer said:

Man I can't see how people think the 5 is underpowered. I was driving it over the long weekend with and without the family and I had a hard time slowing down. The car seems to be the most happy at 80mph- not good if you want to keep your license :)- and all you have to do is punch it to see 90-100mph.

Anyway despite all the little issues, driving this car is a blast. Like I've said before it's tough trying to decide whether to take my 3S or 5.

wat tires do you guys get.
I find 3's RS-As don't have enough grip.
I always understeer into uphill corners, at the same speed
I used to take in my 1991 protege (stock).
My protege was understeering just as much as the 3.
I thought the 3 would do better.
edit: i had winters on my protege before I sold it.

bulwnkl said:
Low gearing. Older Subarus with only 78 hp are actually pretty darn quick off the line because they're geared so low.

Are we talking the manual here? First gear in my Protege5 is very low, so at low speeds in first it feels quick. But I don't recall the Mazda5 AT I drove feeling so quick.

It's all a matter of expectations and reference points. I read posts all the time where people call 200+ horsepower cars slow. Some people just gotta have 400.

canadianexpress said:
The 5 handles very well, you won't believe it is not a car.

Um, it is a car, a wagon to be exact. We just went through this in the Owner's Quiz thread. :) (thumb)

My automatic takes off from a stop very fast. I've had to modify my usual lead-foot tendencies.

In fact, I've been very surprised by the "zoom zoom" factor of this car. I kept reading reviews that said it didn't have passing power - which isn't true in my (okay, limited) experience. Perhaps, the difficulty arises when one has 5 or 6 adults in the car,

Stargazer said:
My automatic takes off from a stop very fast. I've had to modify my usual lead-foot tendencies.

In fact, I've been very surprised by the "zoom zoom" factor of this car. I kept reading reviews that said it didn't have passing power - which isn't true in my (okay, limited) experience. Perhaps, the difficulty arises when one has 5 or 6 adults in the car,

Boy isn't that the truth! I sometimes switch to manual mode and take off in second gear when driving in the rain. This prevents me from lighting up the tires too bad.

I too love the pep, and have no complaints yet!

Yesterday I had an opportunity to pass for the first time since bringing home my 5 and it was no problem. I've been driving a manual for the last 15 years, so there are some perception issues with it downshifting slower than I'd like, but I'll probably do a manual downshift with it next time, just wanted to see how it would perform.

If you're used to driving something faster you'll have to learn the time necessary to pull off the maneuver, but it's not an issue. If you're cutting it that close in a faster car then you shouldn't be passing anyway, take some deep breaths and wait :)

As far as zoom zoom, it's definitely got it, I am really enjoying my 5! got nearly 150 miles off the first quarter tank even with a lot of zoom zoom, non-gas saving driving around town here. Have a couple of long drives coming up in the next month and so I'll be tracking the highway milage then. Minus a few very minor annoyances this car rocks!

Back