MS6 mangina and his portly sow

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
NASIOC bashes the MS6: the mangina and his portly sow

Check out this post fromt the Subaru forums.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929826

I don't really want to get into a pissing contest with Subaru owners as I don't have any problems with the Subaru LGT (recall, that I actually cancelled my Subaru LGT order to pre-order the MS6). I like both cars. However, I like the uniqueness of the MS6 more than the LGT and under heavy acceleration, the MS6 provided a more visceral feeling that something was actually going on, than did the LGT (my own personal feeling, mind you). Not to mention, the LGT was considerably less favourable when identical lease terms were compared to the MS6.

Now as for the stats in the article posted above, I don't have to whine that the MS6 was not the fastest of all the cars tested. I can easily live with 2nd fastest, and I can appreciate that once again an independent source has verified a sub-six second 0-60 time, and this under even less than optimal conditions. It cannot be underappreciated that a new car placed 2nd in a field of well-established automobiles beating out other cars that until now have set the benchmark against which entries in this class are compared. Even a Subaru forum member makes mention of Subaru growing pains remarkably similar to MS6 problems (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12491111&postcount=42)

In addition, people need to realize that the gearing has been changed to make the car behave mor elike what we in North America supposedly believe a Mazdapseed should behave like, not necessarily what like the car was intended. I know that this gearing improved the acceleration of the car, but it has done so at the expense of taking away from the top end. This is important because the original top end gearing is what the MS6 was intended for...autobahn cruising in GT fashion. Euopean MS6s would likely get smoked even worse by the new LGT when it comes to acceleration (Auzzie MS6s are geared similarly to the NA MS6s), but can the Subaru claim to maintain that edge on the top end?

Furthermore, as I have pointed out in this thread (http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2260595&postcount=41) the MS6 has the smallest displacement engine of all the contenders. s***, if at least one car in the comparo DIDN'T perform better than the MS6 the engineers for the other marques should be shot. Smallest displacement engine moving the 2nd heaviest car to the 2nd fastest 0-60 time? Not too shabby in my book.

Not to mention, it had the shortest stopping distance from any speed and it was also the cheapest ride of all those tested. I don't know about any of you MS6 owners, but I for one don't have an aversion to pork...LOL! Especially, if it will stop me from smacking into something that another car woudn't, and do so at a bargain price.

Being a "mangina" as the Subaru members refer to MS6 owners, I do have to point out that the tests were conducted using only 91 octane which Mazda states is only 2nd best for extracting maximal performance from the engine. However, I do not claim that had they used 93 octane that they would have walked away from the LGT. I do suggest though, that the numbers might have been much, much closer than those posted.

As I have said in another thread, the MS6 is NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread for all people. But, as a first salvo across the bow of the other ships populating the harbour, the MS6 is a very, very noticeable warning that Mazda is serious about the Zoom-Zoom philosophy. Personally, I think that the Subaru forums should be counting their blessings that the MS6 was only as close as it was.

Now if you will excuse me, me and the pig gotta jet. The Superbowl is calling.

R

Last edited:
I have looked into them too.... I like the LGT the best, but it is close.

You forgot to mention the LGT Spec B in the review costs at least 4k more than the MS6 GT. I haven't read the entire article so it may be unfair for me to say this... but I feel C&D may have done a diservice to its readers by not factoring in "bang for your buck". I also think exclusivity plays a role. It's a shame C&D disagrees.

What I don't get is why people are fixated on this one review from road and track when we have at least two other sources that have clocked the car at 5.4 sec 0-60 and better all around performance

It's just one magazine, just one opinion that is all.

Whatever the other two sources are, I'm willing to bet they're not on the same level as R&T. (in terms of attention anyway) Not to mention, this was a comparrison test so, for those who are passionate about mazdas and, in particular, the ms6, R&T ranking it as low as they did may not be a slap in the face but... I just feel it deserved better.

CHICO2003 said:
Whatever the other two sources are, I'm willing to bet they're not on the same level as R&T. (in terms of attention anyway) Not to mention, this was a comparrison test so, for those who are passionate about mazdas and, in particular, the ms6, R&T ranking it as low as they did may not be a slap in the face but... I just feel it deserved better.

one of them was Car and Driver. The comparison between the best sedans under 30 grand.

The other was Canadian..... something or other....I'm hung over and I can't remember right now.

Back