Is anyone planning any long road trips?

S

Stargazer

Okay, in addition to being Mazda fanatics, we are also Disney fanatics. So, I think we're going to drive the Mazda5 to Orlando, Florida this April. Just think -- I get to play with the nav system all the way to Disney World.

I have to take the Mazda5 in for its check-up in early April, so it should be ready to go at the end of the month.

IMO the seats are awesome for long trips. Ive driven it about 6 hours straight.. give or take some. Very nice.

I'd bring a couple of maps with you just in case.

I've found the data on the Nav system to be a bit lacking... For example, our neighborhood has been around since 2003, but it doesn't show up on the Nav system. It also doesn't like recoganizing ferry crossings. It keeps telling us to turn the car around when we're on the ferry.

BTW - be careful when you guys come down I-95. There has been a lot of changes on the interchange between I-495 and I-95 south of DC (aka the mixing bowl). They've been opening new lanes of travel.

Oh, and check for road closures on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in DC. You don't want to end up on the 5 to 8 mile backups that happened last summer.

Wuster said:

I've found the data on the Nav system to be a bit lacking... For example, our neighborhood has been around since 2003, but it doesn't show up on the Nav system. It also doesn't like recoganizing ferry crossings. It keeps telling us to turn the car around when we're on the ferry.

BTW - be careful when you guys come down I-95. There has been a lot of changes on the interchange between I-495 and I-95 south of DC (aka the mixing bowl). They've been opening new lanes of travel.

Oh, and check for road closures on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in DC. You don't want to end up on the 5 to 8 mile backups that happened last summer.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding I-95 and the Nav system. I just hope the Nav is right more than it's wrong, as my family tends to spend a lot of time being lost.

I did some highway driving today, and it really is fun to drive. I didn't find it to be lacking in power. But, then again, I wasn't trying to race down the highway.

300 miles is the longest we've driven it at one time. It's great. That was through the mountains and on the freeway (80 mph here) and it never needed to be taken out of 5th (it does rev kinda high, but I guess that's the price for not having to shift down?).

Ours will end up making a ~1000-mile one-way trip many times in its life, we just don't have one planned yet.

Still waiting for an excuse. Prob'ly 500mi or so in March if we can make time, and about 1200-miler in April for sure. Looking forward to it. Press I've read complains about wind noise but I haven't noticed a problem. Sure is less than what came from our previous brick-on-wheels New Yorker.

Last edited:
Long Ride

ENJOY THE RIDE

Listen I have booked long rides in many M3s and just to tell ya one thing. Take the time to adjust the drivers seat properly. With the height adjustment and the Tilt and Telescopic you should find a comfortable position. Lastly start using the Lumbar support.

Lumbar Support can make or break a ride in any car specially over long distance.

Gas up and enjoy your trip.... send me a post card.

We drove our 5 to wisconsin christmas eve from ohio 748 miles one way only had the car a month ran amazing very comfy ride "except the arm rest" they are alittle to short and not to comfy for traveling although this car was awseome great power and plenty of room very happy!

Attachments

• mazda photos 010.jpg
    mazda photos 010.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 189
Wuster said:

what about the I-95 "gap" north of philly in NJ?

We're thinking about a roadtrip to FL as well - let us know how it goes.

TheMAN said:
what about the I-95 "gap" north of philly in NJ?

Sorry, not a clue. I don't get that far North on I-95. I usually try to avoid I-95 at all costs.

make the trip in the summer. there is going to be a huge mazda meet in tampa then. so you'll have 2 events to go to and will meet cool mazda folks. see thread in florida section, too lazy to find it now

Finally made our first road trip. A 3.5-hour jaunt from Ottawa to Peterborough on 2-lane hwy 7. Lousy weather - low visibility, temps just enough to allow excess salt, slush to form a constant mist. Boy, does that rear window ever pick up a lot of crap. I'm used to driving a sedan. Thankfully, the washer fluid reservoir holds about a gallon, right? We pretty much used it up on the trip down there. I've found that a gallon (OK, 4-litre) jug of fluid can be wedged in the spare tire well, along with a funnel. Driving was pretty intense so I didn't have much time to gather impressions. Wipers and washers work well - that's about all I can say. Cruise control is predictable and holds a good speed. There was a 90deg crosswind most of the trip gusting 35-60km/h and this little van (eek! sorry. I mean WAGON) was a bit touchy in that kind of breeze, but the steering is very sharp, even with deep-treaded 55-profile snows on 16" rims. Looking forward to putting the summer tires back on.

On the trip down we averaged 90-110km/h and managed 30.5MPG. The trip back saw a little better weather (but still heavy wind) avg speed 110-130km/h and a big rise in fuel consumption to 25MPG.

Yeah, I've driven our 5 from Shreveport, LA to Mobile, AL and back in one day. Horrible weather and traffic on the way back but it was an AWESOME drive. A LOT better than the 2002 Taurus we traded in for it. This trip is the longest trip we have taken in it yet, but once our 2 month old little girl gets a bit older (and I get more leave), it will be making a trip up to NY.

we will be leaving Montreal for West Palm Beach, Fl at the end of the month.
Round trip will be roughly 3,400mi. This will be the first time I'll drive this truck/van/car/station-wagon for any lenght of time.
We'll see how my wife's Mazda 5 performs.
So far, I've only driven it around town.
My first impressions:
Pros: Lots of room, fairly peppy engine around town, looks nice, well equiped for the price,
Cons: Tons of rattles all around, noisy at high speed, lots of wind noise around the windshield and front doors, built quality not on par with Honda (her previous car)
I wish we could drive to Florida with my Benz, but my wife insists we take the 5. (drive2)

Took the 5 and the 3 hatch to Gatlinburg, Tennessee this past summer, from The east edge of Connecticut. Navi worked very well. We used I-81 rather than I-95 that made the trip so much better. The 5 was great on the road, at 80mph most of the time, it got 1mpg less than the 3. Averaged 24mpg and still does no matter what, it seems.

Tip with the Navi:
Go to AAA, get state books for the ones you'll travel to. If you need to stop for the night, open the book and look up the next town ahead. Pick the hotel you want, call & make a reservation. After that, punch the phone # into the Navi and it will take you to the door. Works great! We found the Navi eased the stress of travel by about 150%. I like the way you can see which gas & restaurants are coming up.

I just got back from a trip to Vegas from Denver. I've said it before, but the thing handles tons better than I expected it to. You can toss it around the mountain curve like nothing. I complained about the lack of power in the car when I first got it, but it was more than sufficient going up the hills. A little doggish, had to downshift quite a bit to climb the hills at a reasonable speed. I stayed close to 85mph on the highways, and tried to keep around 65 or so through most of the curves. Didn't get passed much. One thing I like is the cruise control. It'll hold speed up to 100. I didn't try it further than that. My Expedition would cut cruise after 85. Navigation is awesome to have on any long trip, but there are plenty of improvements that could be made to that system. My buddy has a iWay 600c navi, and the interface and options are tons better. We had all 6 seats filled and used every inch of storage space. I won't complain about room, because I knew what I was getting when I bought the car.
We ran into a serious blizzard somewhere in Utah on the way there, uphill and downhill mountain roads. Also had lots of bad weather on the way back, rain and snow, along with icy and snowpacked roads. I never really felt out of control. It handled everything quite well, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Listening to you guys makes me really itchy to take the 5 on a long road trip. But so far, our summer vacation plans only includes a short (200 miles or so roundtrip) to Lancaster, PA and a slighty longer trip (500 miles or so round trip) to Pittsburgh, PA.

:(

Maybe next year, I'll try to talk the wife into a roadtrip to see the in-laws in Washington state.

:)

I've got 2 longer trips on the new 5 now. Once from Savannah, GA up to the Charleston Aquarium in SC, only about 150 miles, and that was cake work. Now I've just gotten back from the drive down to Orlando and back (no, didn't get to go to Disney, it was a business trip :( ) Getting the seat adjusted properly is important, once you get it though it's very comfy. No problems or issues with either trip, I loved driving it!

I agree with the suggestion that the navigation computer needs an upgrade. Pretty much without exception I have ended up somewhere that has changed significantly since the last disk was made. In Charleston it didn't know about the new bridge into town, only the old bridge which was a couple of blocks away from the entrance to the new bridge. And in Orlando it always wanted me to drive down 4 which is SLOW and goes WAY out of the way of where I wanted to end up, even though I can exit 95 goes within 15 miles of my end point. Very strange, but I have now figured out how to make it take the roads I want to take by placing a waypoint along them and making it go through that on the way.

On the highway, even with the AC on I was getting more than 100 miles to each quarter tank of gas, approximately. I did keep track of the exact milage and gas amounts, but I haven't unpacked from the trip yet and my notes are buried somewhere under all my stuff that I haven't had the energy to sort through yet, so no exact numbers till later.

We just took the 5 from Colorado to Cali and back over spring break. We could not have been happier. I have two kids, 10 and 8 and they were both very comfortable. It's the first trip we've taken that the didn't try to kill each other. Having the reclinable bucket seat for them is fabulous.

We were very comfortable in the front too, and were pleased with the passing power even when already driving 90 mph. It had good pickup on the mountain passes too, I can count on one hand the number of times we had to drop it down into 4th gear to keep it moving.

It also handled LA freeway driving nicely - plenty of power when needed and plenty of brake when the idiot in front of us wasn't paying attention.

We had more than enough room for luggage with the back seats down. We packed 3 fullsized suitcases (one for grownups, one for kids, and one for hiking stuff), an overnight bag, pillows for all of us, a zoo full of stuffed animals, and still had room for the safety stuff (coats, sleeping bags, a flat of water, etc.) My only complaint is that the interior gets dirty and shows dirt so easily. The mileage was also a little low (around 21mpg) but I'm guessing that's a function of driving 90-100 mph most of the way. I also wish the tank was a little bigger;we had to stop too often. Of course I was spoiled with the Accord we used to take on trips that was getting close to 30mpg and a 17 gallon tank. But the comfort was worth the trade off.

Back