Price Bummer!

TACOKING

Man I just finished going thru the Sunday paper saw advertising in North County San Diego for 5's at $13,999. There being sold at Mazda of Escondido, where I bought my 5 for 17000 mt stellar greensilver sport. I knew prices were going to drop saw another ad for sport AT 15999. This is cow manure...... (bang)

Its a Protege, its not gonna hold its value.... good thing I'll have mine until the body rusts out.

Perhaps word of the recall has leaked out.........nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (boom06) Maybe I can trade up to a Touring MT with all the moldings and beige metallic color... (thumb)

Hang on now...

What does the fine print say? How do we know that it's not a demo model with 5,000 test driven miles or one that the owner's wife has been driving since last summer and haven't had the oil changed or any maintenance done on it?

I wouldn't put too much stock in those ads. They're just there to bring people into the showroom and then you'll find out that the advertised car has been sold or unavailable.

I have seen similar ads, for all types of vehicles, in my local papers as well. When seeing such seemingly low prices listed, the ads have always stated, in teeny-tiny print at the bottom of the page, something like, "with $5,000 cash or trade". It would not surprise me to see that be the case here.

Ya, ads just get you into the dealer... just like how they advertise brand new 3's here for 11990.... right

TACOKING said:
Man I just finished going thru the Sunday paper saw advertising in North County San Diego for 5's at $13,999. There being sold at Mazda of Escondido, where I bought my 5 for 17000 mt stellar greensilver sport. I knew prices were going to drop saw another ad for sport AT 15999. This is cow manure...... (bang)
3 words: bait and switch

Fly on the Wall said:
I just checked autotrader.com and found an ad for a new 5 for only $2,045

Of course the same dealer has a 5 listed for $197,700
Who ever is responsible for putting their ads online needs to proof read. (boom07)

I'm not to upset by this even if it were true (which I don't believe it is)- the 5 presents a good value to me at the price I paid. For the family hauler car in our family - we tend to buy one for the long haul - I'm not planning on selling my 5 until we have used up nearly every bit of value it ever had - until then I plan on enjoying the ride.

miatafied said:
I'm not to upset by this even if it were true (which I don't believe it is)- the 5 presents a good value to me at the price I paid. For the family hauler car in our family - we tend to buy one for the long haul - I'm not planning on selling my 5 until we have used up nearly every bit of value it ever had - until then I plan on enjoying the ride.

I totally agree!

I was wondering, I am being pretty bold here, for those 5 owners in the Vancouver, BC area could you possibly give me some dealer experience feed back and if possible what you paid for the wonder car. So far I've been lied to by 1 dealer and of the other 3, 1 was MSRP and the other was talking about a whopping $200 off + an accessory or 2 . The 3rd I just got off the phone w/ is a dealer on Vancouver Island who said the 5 we want, a GT, 5 speed, basic black w/o air is not even in production by Mazda any more. Apparently nobody wants a 5 like that and if we wanted one we would have to wait till May + a $2000 deposit. WTF? W/O dealer hold back the dealer is making a profit of over $1900 on this car. eesh. I am just trying to arm myself further for the worst part of buying a car...the dealers ( as you may have noticed ) . A recent CTV W5 program (same sort of format as CBS 60 Minutes, for our southern cousins) found that the worst dealers in the country for sales shenanigans were in BC. All makes, all models. If you had a particularly good experience w/ a salesperson, PM their name if you don't wish to post.
cheers
weev

Last edited:
Recommended Dealer

Heya Theweev

Well at our dealership trying to get your hands on a Mazda 5 is like pulling eye teeth out of an elephant.

We have cars out here in Ontario but seems the Mazda can not keep up with the demand. Yes the car can be as far away as MAY. My car took 5 months.

As for the $2000.00 Deposit.... not required but a smaller one would make sence. In Ontario we take a $1000.00 deposit with a conditional on delivery date (basically what if it doesn't arrive).

They didn't discontinue any color or make of Mazda 5 that is just crap. I can tell you the 5MT is the most popular transmission type wanted.

Keep up ur hunt..... its worth it.

If you need more help to find a car in your area contact your local Madza Rep for support. Not all dealers seem to be on the up and up. That is sad.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

Last edited:
hey Z5Z

We are well and truely willing to wait. Most of the dealers said 6-8 weeks or so, which is the begining of April some time. And if it's May....well i guess it's May. That'll be a nice B-day present and just in time to p/u friends and kid as they fly in for the summer. We've heard of deposits of $500-1000. but the 2K amount blew me away. Well the sooner we get the order in the sooner it'll be here.
thanks for the help.
weev

Deals Fall through

Heya

Forgot to mention.... times deals fall through the cracks and for some reason when the car does land at the dealership the customer can not get the same deal (i.e. trade crashed or something).

In this case the car now becomes availible and we normally put it up to those who have bought (have a bill of sale).

Get your name on a bill of sale for that reason.... you may loose your color choise but with the 6 availible you could find yourself in a Mazda 5 before your birthday.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

The 5 we drove today was like that. A guy ordered it and then couldn't wait any longer and bought something else...so there sits the 5 on the lot. Unfortunately it's a GS and we really like the extras of the GT.

May I assume that it is either too expensive or too much hassle (metric dash conversion? warranty issues?) to come looking south of the border? The dealer just up the road had the one you want not long ago (don't know whether it's still there) and around here the prices are definitely comfortably below MSRP.

it's more of hassle than anything. As well the Cdn v. USA models are spec'ed differently.

bulwnkl said:
May I assume that it is either too expensive or too much hassle (metric dash conversion? warranty issues?) to come looking south of the border? The dealer just up the road had the one you want not long ago (don't know whether it's still there) and around here the prices are definitely comfortably below MSRP.

Actually it won't be that simple. There are many restrictions about bringing a car up north, and could only be done if you are moving from US to Canada. Of course I am talking about owing the car for personal use as oppose to dealers importing them.

Back