XM radio instead of sirius?

eE jeremy

I'm getting a new MS6, but they only have sirius as an option at the dealer, can I get the XM radio adapter from bose and install it so I can do XM instead?

honestly, I'd go with sirius anyway, just from a music and programming standpoint, SIRIUS is far superior.. unless you're really into major league baseball, XM is way behind SIRIUS

I think you can get an antenna for XM and just tune the tuner to a specific frequency to pick up the signal. Not 100% sure though, I think that is the way a friend's is. He can also take it (the anteanna) to another car and do the same thing.

we got my dad a sirius tuner for christmas this year and i have been floored with how much he loves it. i started using his account to listen in on the web and have been completely won over. in fact, i just bought a new head unit along with the tuner tonight for an install next weekend. save yourself some time...keep the sirius...you won't be disappointed!

Well i've had XM for two years now and love it. I have it in my other car and at work, so I would like to save some money and just add another radio instead of opening up an account with sirius. But if it dcan't be done, oh well, i'll live with it :p

I just installed an XM Roady2 in my MS6. Placed the antenna right next to the FM antenna above the rear glass. I fabbed a metal bracket and secured the Roady2 mount to the ashtray. The radio sits right above the ashtray, so it's easy to see, and easy to push the buttons while resting your palm on the shifter. I placed an auxiliary 12v socket (Radio Shack #270-1556) under the shifter console, where it's tapped into the cigarette lighter wires. Then, the Roady's 6v adapter plugs right in, and everything is hidden, out of the way.

I've already ordered the RPM audio link so I can get some decent sound input.

Here's a pic:
xm_roady2_installed.jpg

See more pics here.

Last edited:
XPLORx4 said:
I just installed an XM Roady2 in my MS6. Placed the antenna right next to the FM antenna above the rear glass. I fabbed a metal bracket and secured the Roady2 mount to the ashtray. The radio sits right above the ashtray, so it's easy to see, and easy to push the buttons while resting your palm on the shifter. I placed an auxiliary 12v socket (Radio Shack #270-1556) under the shifter console, where it's tapped into the cigarette lighter wires. Then, the Roady's 6v adapter plugs right in, and everything is hidden, out of the way.

I've already ordered the RPM audio link so I can get some decent sound input.

Here's a pic:
xm_roady2_installed.jpg

See more pics here.

Where do you run the wires from the XM (Power and stereo cable)?

Go Sirius, I've had for a few months now and can honestly say it has XM beat. If you're into sports especially. All NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA. Don't forget Howard Stern too

nicka said:
Where do you run the wires from the XM (Power and stereo cable)?

For power, I tapped into the cigarette lighter wires using a Radio Shack 12v accessory plug adapter like this one. I then plugged the XM power adapter into this and tucked it neatly beneath the shifter console.

The audio cable is routed through the same opening as the antenna and power wires:
xm_wire_route.jpg

Since I'm using the RPM Audio Link as my XM aux-in, the audio cable is routed under the cupholders:
ipod_audiolink.jpg

XPLORx4 said:
For power, I tapped into the cigarette lighter wires using a Radio Shack 12v accessory plug adapter like this one. I then plugged the XM power adapter into this and tucked it neatly beneath the shifter console.

The audio cable is routed through the same opening as the antenna and power wires:
xm_wire_route.jpg

Since I'm using the RPM Audio Link as my XM aux-in, the audio cable is routed under the cupholders:
ipod_audiolink.jpg

That's SWEET! Nice work! I didn't notice that that you could run the wires just above the cover.

Back