who knows about the speed 6

spool4u

:
ha ha
What can it handle. Who has taken it to the limits.
I know it is , awd, and it is 6 speed with lsd, 274 hp and 280 tq , 2.3 liter turbo dohc, 9.5 to 1 compression, boost spikes to about 17 and holds around 15, and a very comfterable ride, but my questions are:

Whats the governor set at if there is one?
Whats the fastest someone has gone yet?
what are some dyno #?
What is actual size of turbo (centimeter wise)?
--------------size of o2 housing?
--------------size of exhaust piping?
How much power can the turbo produce safely?
How much power can the engine handle safely?
Has anyone hooked up a wideband (air/fuel) yet?
What size are stock injectors?
How much boost can the turbo make before overboosting?
Has anyone hooked up an safcII yet?
Has anyone ran nitrous on them yet?
What is the widest tire you can fit on stock 18s?
Is the turbo reverse scrolling or not?
Has anyone seen the stock egts (egt guage) yet?

I guess what i am saying is --- is it possible to get 325 to 350 hp out of this car without touching internals or turbo?

Personally i was told by a gm of mazda that he has a friend that upgraded things like boost, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and he was running 360 hp to the wheels, now i am not gulable or anything but i call bs.

Bump...Mods...We should be seeing more technical threads and posts that can answer some of the questions brought up by spool4u!

I can answer some of the questions you ask.

The top speed is electronically governed at 149 mph. As far as how fast I've gone... 129 mph while tangling with a BMW 5 series on the Garden State Parkway in NJ. I actually didn't know I was going that fast until I looked at the speedo!!!

I'll let some more knowledgable people handle the rest of the questions.

TommyT

TommyT913 said:
I can answer some of the questions you ask.

The top speed is electronically governed at 149 mph. As far as how fast I've gone... 129 mph while tangling with a BMW 5 series on the Garden State Parkway in NJ. I actually didn't know I was going that fast until I looked at the speedo!!!

I'll let some more knowledgable people handle the rest of the questions.

TommyT

How'd you do against the BMW5?

KeithC

Engine : 4 cylinder, turbocharged DOHC, front engine AWD
Displacement : 2,300 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 6-spd manual
Fuel economy : city - 18 mpg(estimated)
highway - 26 mpg(estimated)

Suspension : F - Independent double wishbone
R - Independent multilink
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Vented discs

Horsepower : 274 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque : 280 lb-ft @ 3000rpm
Redline : unknown

Top speed : 150 mph
0-60 mph : 6.2 sec.
0- mile : 14.7 sec @ 96.5 mph(estimated)
60-0 braking distance : 121 ft(estimated)
200 ft skidpad : 0.90 g(estimated)

Curb Weight : 3500 lbs(estimated)
Overall length : 186.6 in.
Wheelbase : 105.3 in.
Overall Width : 70.0 in.
Height : 56.9 in.

Those were the conservative estimates. In the real world the MS6 Has tested:

0-60: 5.3-5.8

1/4 mile: 13.8-14.3

With the slower times not using the proper octane gas.

Mazda3 said:
Those were the conservative estimates. In the real world the MS6 Has tested:

0-60: 5.3-5.8

1/4 mile: 13.8-14.3

With the slower times not using the proper octane gas.

Cough up a time slip and you win. (first)

1killercls said:
Cough up a time slip and you win. (first)

Car and Driver:

0-60 5.4

1/4: 14.0@99 MPH

World of Wheels:

0-100 KM: 5.8 = 0-60: 5.6

1/4: 13.8@100.44 MPH

(first)

Attachments

• Speedreview7.jpg
    Speedreview7.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 328
  • wow1.jpg
    wow1.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 334
spool4u said:
Personally i was told by a gm of mazda that he has a friend that upgraded things like boost, exhaust, intake, and a good tune and he was running 360 hp to the wheels, now i am not gulable or anything but i call bs.

Manager of a dealership?? What do you mean by GM?

Dealerships are morons...

spool4u said:

The turbo is already pretty much maxed out, it wont even hold the stock boost to redline.

ssinstaller said:
The turbo is already pretty much maxed out, it wont even hold the stock boost to redline.

On another Mazda forum there is an extensive discussion about the capacity of our turbo (search for a thread questioning whether 400 hp is attainable with DISI). The gist of the discussion is that our turbo is operating near its capacity. However, it is not the turbo that causes the drop in boost at redline. Rather, the ECU is pulling boost after 5500 RPM. The discussion suggested that with supporting mods (FMIC, CAI, upgraded exhaust, and optimized A/F ratios) the turbo was good for over 330 whp reliably. They speculated that the MS6 would be capable of 12s 1/4's. This was not simply speculation as they worked through the mathematics to back up their arguments. The sentiment was that the DISI, internals, and turbo could handle this output and that the main limiting factor would be the ECU and managment of the A/F ratios.

A dyno graph showing some 15 hp gain with the new CP-E intake revealed that the A/F went uber-rich (~10.1) under WOT after 4000 RPM. Protects your engine some, but not ideal for power. If we can get around the ECU things should be downright scary for the MS6 baby!

R

Rainman said:
On another Mazda forum there is an extensive discussion about the capacity of our turbo (search for a thread questioning whether 400 hp is attainable with DISI). The gist of the discussion is that our turbo is operating near its capacity. However, it is not the turbo that causes the drop in boost at redline. Rather, the ECU is pulling boost after 5500 RPM. The discussion suggested that with supporting mods (FMIC, CAI, upgraded exhaust, and optimized A/F ratios) the turbo was good for over 330 whp reliably. They speculated that the MS6 would be capable of 12s 1/4's. This was not simply speculation as they worked through the mathematics to back up their arguments. The sentiment was that the DISI, internals, and turbo could handle this output and that the main limiting factor would be the ECU and managment of the A/F ratios.

A dyno graph showing some 15 hp gain with the new CP-E intake revealed that the A/F went uber-rich (~10.1) under WOT after 4000 RPM. Protects your engine some, but not ideal for power. If we can get around the ECU things should be downright scary for the MS6 baby!

R

Another case of...If you can unlock the ECU...You unlock the power...? Very interesting findings Rick (thumb)

StuttersC said:
Manager of a dealership?? What do you mean by GM?

Dealerships are morons...
Take it that's general manager

Rainman said:

R

***** quoted from littleeffer on the "other" forum

Pressure ratio is:

(15.7+14.7)/14.7= 2.068

CFM need is...

CFM = (L x RPM x VE x Pr)/5660

CFM= (2.3 x 6500 x 90 x 2.068)/ 5660

CFM= 491.6

This is the minimum the turbo must flow with an engine with a 90% VE to HOLD 15.7 PSI to 6500 RPM.

Gee... aint that funny.

Now if we assume a 100% VE like you did in your calculations...

CFM = (L x RPM x VE x Pr)/5660

CFM= (2.3 x 6500 x 100 x 2.068)/ 5660

CFM= 546.2

Now to really seal the deal lets look at the ACTUAL compressor map for a K04 turbo YAY!!!!!
k04-0025.jpg

As you can see at a pressure ratio of 2.068 the turbo is RIGHT on the edge of its efficency.

The MAXIMUM this turbo can flow at a pressure ratio of 2.068 is at the right hand upper edge of the map. Which just happens to be... 0.175 cubic meters a second. This converts into around 371 CFM.

I aint making this sh*t up...

Now we have already calculated the CFM needed to hold 15.7 PSI to redline. Thats 491.6 CFM at a 90% VE. This converts to 0.2320 cubic meters a second. This happens to be COMPLETELY off the chart and unattinable for this particular turbo.

This turbo is what we term Maxed Out. It is pretty close to being maxed out from the factory... No matter what you do it will NEVER efficently support 15.7 PSI at 6500 RPM.

This is PRECISELY why boost and power drops in the upper RPM band.
Heres another source... STRAIGHT from the horses mouth...

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/products/passenger_gas.asp

0.21 kg/ sec of flow equals about 366.67 CFM at STP.

Im sure I stated this value before... sorry to be so repetitive...

Even the manufacturer makes power estimates... just to show ya I aint crazy...
There you go folks all spelled out for you... I didn't think it would be necessary but some people need more help understanding than others.
And I rest my case...

I have no doubt that bolt-ons and tuning will definatly free up some power, but it definalty looks like there is nothing we can do to get the stock turbo to hold 15.7 psi to redline.

Antoine said:
Another case of...If you can unlock the ECU...You unlock the power...? Very interesting findings Rick (thumb)

Get these guys to build a unit for the MS6..........
Yeah, Baby

ssinstaller said:
***** quoted from littleeffer on the "other" forum

I have no doubt that bolt-ons and tuning will definatly free up some power, but it definalty looks like there is nothing we can do to get the stock turbo to hold 15.7 psi to redline.

Thanks for posting that info ssinstaller. I stand corrected in that I misspoke about the ability of our turbo to hold 15.7 PSI to redline. However, the overall sentiment was correct in that it is operating near its peak efficiency, but with certain mods we CAN extract more power out of her.

BTW, what type of flange comes with this turbo? Is there anything bigger that will bolt on without modification?

R

SVOGT said:
Get these guys to build a unit for the MS6..........
Yeah, Baby

Now it looks as though they do only North American vehicles, particularly GM and Ford. So in that respect, Mazda is out. However, since Mazda is Ford, might they swing over to the dark side and fix something up for the MS6 crowd? I wonder. Have you dealt with them in the past?

R

Back