HID Conversion

Two HID manufacturers that the 6 community have dealt with are XenonExpert and McCulloch (i don't have the link handy here at work). The stock bulbs are H1 so you'll probably want to stick with that bulb. Color output is up to your preference, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulbs?

Raynman said:
Two HID manufacturers that the 6 community have dealt with are XenonExpert and McCulloch (i don't have the link handy here at work). The stock bulbs are H1 so you'll probably want to stick with that bulb. Color output is up to your preference, of course.

PIAA makes a H.I.D. bulb that just goes into your O.E.M. LIGHTS AND NOONE will know the difference. I have replaced all mine with them inlcuding my fogs and am more than happy with them. I had actual H.I.D.'s on my VW Jetta and they look the exact same.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 223
Mazda0-6ty said:
PIAA makes a H.I.D. bulb that just goes into your O.E.M. LIGHTS AND NOONE will know the difference. I have replaced all mine with them inlcuding my fogs and am more than happy with them. I had actual H.I.D.'s on my VW Jetta and they look the exact same.

Just a point of clarification:

PIAA Xtreeme White Plus bulbs are halogen bulbs, not bona fide HID systems. They're halogen bulbs with a color output similar to HIDs.

Thanks for.....

Raynman said:
Just a point of clarification:

PIAA Xtreeme White Plus bulbs are halogen bulbs, not bona fide HID systems. They're halogen bulbs with a color output similar to HIDs.

Actually I know that. That is why I said "I have replaced all mine with them inlcuding my fogs and am more than happy with them. I had actual H.I.D.'s on my VW Jetta and they look the exact same"
"LOOK THE EXACT SAME" AND "AM MORE THAN HAPPY WITH" Indicate that I really did know that but didn't care because they work more than well enough. I don't need to spend the extra money just so I can say that they are the real thing when they look AND work the same,but thanks for your attention materialistic ideals anyway.

Mazda0-6ty said:
...but thanks for your attention materialistic ideals anyway.

Materialistic? Hardly. Do you consider the Europeans and the Japanese materialistic because HIDs dominate about 50% of the head lamp market share there? :rolleyes:

I don't even have HIDs nor do I care for them...for now. If anything I can be accused of possessing too much attention to detail so much so that it borders on anal retentiveness. I just wanted to avoid the confusion of mistaking PIAA bulbs as HID bulbs, as you described them:

Mazda0-6ty said:
PIAA makes a H.I.D. bulb...

Hence the point of clarification: They may have HID color output, but the fact of the matter is they're halogen bulbs. Yes, you know the difference. However, your statement might lead to some confusion and needed clarification, which is by no means a personal attack nor merits an underhanded dig at my ideals - whatever you may think them to be.

I don't know why you got all defensive. I made no judgements on your choice of modifications. If anything I'm glad they work out for you.

Last edited:
If you want HID's get them.

You can find halogen bulbs that have the same "look", but a blue/white halogen bulb has less actual light output than a regular halogen bulb of the same wattage, and neither come anywhere close to the output of an HID bulb.

Some people just don't get it....

I merely pointed out an "Alternative" for those who don't have an unlimited budget for these things,but are still looking to improve over O.E.M. (WHICH IT DOES!) as some people have families to take care of,etc and can't justify spending every dime they make on there car as alot of people in the forums are in this position for one reason or another. I KNOW the difference,but that was not what this thread was about in the first place. Please move on as this advice was for people in different situations than that of the people who keep droning on and on about the differences in lighting,but thank you anyway for looking really hard for something to argue about here anyway!
I persay am not cheap either,I already have 10,000 in my car in aftermarket,but my car is NOT daily driver and I rarely even drive it at night anyway so I really don't care that much about the lighting as I drive my Ranger most of the time anyway and save my six for nice summer days.
Besides I have a family and kids to take care of as well as TWO other car payments so my Headlights are NOT my first priority and I am sure I still have as much money invested in my car as most of the people here anyway.
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD all those people trying to tell me what's what!
To all the others who understand what I was saying in the first place...Good Luck and Have a Great Day!

hey now, take it easy folks!!

I actually thought about purchasing those PIAA bulbs that you recommended 6ty. They seem to be a good alternative to the stock headlamps.

Mazda0-6ty said:
I merely pointed out an "Alternative" for those who don't have an unlimited budget for these things,but are still looking to improve over O.E.M. (WHICH IT DOES!) as some people have families to take care of,etc and can't justify spending every dime they make on there car as alot of people in the forums are in this position for one reason or another. I KNOW the difference,but that was not what this thread was about in the first place. Please move on as this advice was for people in different situations than that of the people who keep droning on and on about the differences in lighting,but thank you anyway for looking really hard for something to argue about here anyway!
I persay am not cheap either,I already have 10,000 in my car in aftermarket,but my car is NOT daily driver and I rarely even drive it at night anyway so I really don't care that much about the lighting as I drive my Ranger most of the time anyway and save my six for nice summer days.
Besides I have a family and kids to take care of as well as TWO other car payments so my Headlights are NOT my first priority and I am sure I still have as much money invested in my car as most of the people here anyway.
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD all those people trying to tell me what's what!
To all the others who understand what I was saying in the first place...Good Luck and Have a Great Day!

You really should work on your tone. People come on here for info and advice and everyone(myself included) can understand a dissenting opinion, but your posts are inflammatory.

If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine, but don't get all pissy because I don't agree with yours.

Chris

Finally

seanmcsean said:
hey now, take it easy folks!!

I actually thought about purchasing those PIAA bulbs that you recommended 6ty. They seem to be a good alternative to the stock headlamps.

It was merely an alternative I mentioned,I never realized it was gonna make me a bad guy for offering a cheaper alternative for others.....lol

It had nothing to do with an opinion for others to agree with so thank you for being the only person to see it for what it was!

Last edited:
2005 Mazda 6 Front Parking Light...

I changed my 2 front headlights to Nokya H1 bulbs and it looks good, but now I want to change the stock yellow front parking lights blue so they don't clash with the blue headlights. Does anyone know what code or bulbs I should be looking for? Thanks for your help.

There's a sticky on this.......
Exterior Lighting -
Low Beam: H1
High Beam: H1
Fog Light (non-sport): H1
Fog Light (sport): H3
Fog Light(Speed 6) H11
Front Parking Light: 194
Front Turn Signals (North America): 1157
Front Turn Signals (Global): 1156
Front Side Markers: 194
Rear Brake Light: 7443
Rear Turn Signal: 7440
Rear Back up Light: 921
Rear License Plate Lights: 194

Interior Lighting -
Interior Door Lights: 194
Interior Dome Lights: 194
Glove Box Light: 194
Vanity Mirror: 74
Trunk light: Sedan - ? Hatch - 31mm Festoon

hope this helps

RPM sells the DDM/Apexcone HIDs for a really good price, plug and play, and lifetime warranty. If you want HIDs, do the research, so you know what you're getting into. I personally love mine on my MS6 and won't be buying another car that doesn't have them. My friend with his Fusion Sport has them in 8k 55w lows/fogs and they look fantastic.

Wow! this thread sure got lit up for a while there (boom01), as a former owner of Xenon HIDs on my 04 M6S I can say the the Silverstars are no match for HID comparison. I would like to know more about the PIAA bulbs and other non HID bulbs. I want brighter lights ( HIDs spoiled the hell out of me) but I’m not willing to do the HID thing till I get head light projectors I’m happy with. Does anyone here have experience with non HID bulbs that they are happy with? I’m sure we all know we’re talking about the “H1” bulb.

EDIT;
here's a PIAA link http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H1.html

Last edited:
Mike, the GE Nighthawks are pretty well regarded for a straight up halogen replacement. You won't have a blue tint to them, but they're supposed to be some of the best bulbs for actually putting light out on the road. Give 'em a quick google for more info.

Latest posts

Back