Edmund's Full Test of the Mazda5

a10thunder

:
Mazda5
Has anyone seen this? Other than Consumer Reports, I believe this is the only other road test of the Mazda5.

The acceleration times are a bit disappointing but braking distance is pretty good.

Vehicle Tested:
2006 Mazda MAZDA5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $22,410 Price It!!

What Works:
Attractive design, makes the most of limited space, handles well, strong brakes, great price.

What Needs Work:
Needs more horsepower and a front-passenger armrest.

Bottom Line:
A stylish, practical and petite minivan that needs a little more power to be a complete package.

Performance
0 - 30 (sec): 3.9
0 - 45 (sec): 6.5
0 - 60 (sec): 10.1
0 - 75 (sec): 15.7
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 17.53 @ 80 mph
30 - 0 (ft): 31.4
60 - 0 (ft): 125.72
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Slalom (mph): 63.40
Turning Circle (ft), curb-to-curb: .79
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Db @ Idle: 39
Db @ Full Throttle: 78
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70

Full article here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108946

a10thunder said:
Has anyone seen this? Other than Consumer Reports, I believe this is the only other road test of the Mazda5.

The acceleration times are a bit disappointing but braking distance is pretty good.

Full article here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108946

Yes I read it. Overall it's a very postive review. One thing I disagree with is the idea that the 5 is universally underpowered. Maybe with the auto, but the 5 speed is plenty quick provided you keep the engine cooking. That sweet engine is part of what gives it it's Zoom-Zoom.

Thanks for posting. I also disagree with the grossly underpowered portrayal. I have the automatic and it is a bit of a dog, but that is the beauty of the sport auto. When you keep the motor above 3000rpm it feels so good. Not bad for a minivan I think. They also projected only about 4000 models sold. I think that once they start to advertise the sales will pick up. It is a great car for the money.

Where did they get their weight of 3900 lbs for that article? Has anyone actually put theirs on a scale? Usually a curb weight isn't off by over 500 lbs on a car.

Also, their article header says it was a 5MT. Only down in the text does it say they drove a 4AT. So, casual glancers think it's REALLY slow.

Lastly, why are they comparing a 5 with an Odyssey? The MPV is supposed to compete with the Odyssey. The 5 competes with things more like a Matrix or possibly a Pacifica or a Freestyle.

I wrote them a letter pointing this stuff out, but I don't really expect to hear from them...

bulwnkl said:
Lastly, why are they comparing a 5 with an Odyssey? The MPV is supposed to compete with the Odyssey. The 5 competes with things more like a Matrix or possibly a Pacifica or a Freestyle.

I wrote them a letter pointing this stuff out, but I don't really expect to hear from them...

I've heard the 5 compared to the Odyssey so many times - I tend to forget that the 5 isn't even in the same classification!! I guess we were cross shopping the Odyssey and the 5. Obviously we opted for the 5 and we couldn't be happier. (Actually instead of buying the Odyssey we ended up buying a 5 AND a miata for basically the same price - crazy, huh?)

miatafied said:
I've heard the 5 compared to the Odyssey so many times - I tend to forget that the 5 isn't even in the same classification!! I guess we were cross shopping the Odyssey and the 5. Obviously we opted for the 5 and we couldn't be happier. (Actually instead of buying the Odyssey we ended up buying a 5 AND a miata for basically the same price - crazy, huh?)

I think the issue is that the 5 simply has no equal. The fact that it helds its own against a Minivan that cost 10,000 dollars more than it says a lot about it's engineering. Now if these automotive journalist could just stop being so damned power hungry :). I never feel like the 5 is underpowered. Sure it doesn't feel as spry as my 3 but they are two different types of automobile. No doubt Mazda will probably find a way to boost HP a littel. I still it would be cool to have a Mazdaspeed5 :)

Mazda 5 Edmonds Review

Heya

I have read the review and felt it was still positive. The Mazda 5 will evolve into the "car to have" when supply can meet demand. Lets not fool ourselves it has been availible in Europe for over a year ( I think our stock is going over there lol ).

As for any comparison to MPV or Mazda 3..... I have in any given day access to all our Mazda products and I tell ya this 5 rocks. I do own a 5 and whenever I do a testdrive in an MPV I still say bravo to the 5. Secondly those that need more room from that of a Mazda 3 Sport....we have it in the 5. Surely the ZOOM ZOOM is not as quick as the 3 Sport but I turn some heads when I take off with my 5MT Mazda 5.

AJAC Best New Multy Activity Vehicle.... check that out

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

Back