Mazda extended warranty

goacom

Hello folks,
I just purchased a new Mazda 5 Touring. The dealer has given me the option of getting an extended warranty service contract for the car - $1200 for a 6 year contract, zero deductable. Is this a good deal?
Thanks.

Given the issues that come with a first year model like the 5 I think everyone should consider it.

Extended Warrenty

Heya

Any Mazda Added warrenty is additional to the basic comprehensive or power train warrenties. If you buy the 6/160000 km warrenty it means your basic warrenty increased by 3 yrs/80000 km and powertrain 1yr/ 60000 km.

Is it a good deal darn right it is. In todays era of "smart" cars or computer operated systems an extended warrenty is a great investment.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom (cheers)

PS we sells the warrenty about the same price friend

The extended warranty is a nice to have. But $1200 is a lot and you should make sure it's a Mazda Manufacture extended warranty. Not one from an aftermarket company.

Also, all Mazda dealerships can sell you the Mazda extended warranty. You may want to call around to see if you can get a better price.

I suspect that if you call/check around, you can find someone selling it for a couple of hundred bucks less.

I'm 90% positive that you can purchase an extended warranty anytime before your 4yr/50k mile warranty expires. So you may not need to buy it right now.

You can absolutely buy that warranty any time before your factory warranty expires, though the price increases the closer you get to expiration.

We just bought our 5 late last week and we passed on the warranty. I have a little different perspective than others, I suppose. I am able to do most mechanical work myself and because of that I consider $1200-$1400 for a warranty that does NOTHING for me for the next 3-4 years (while I'm under factory warranty) to be an extreme waste of money. At that point, since I can do most all of the wrenching myself, any repairs only 'cost' me the price of the parts. Also, barring accident, outright abuse or neglect of maintenance it's very, very unlikely that you'll have a mechanical or electronic failure after the factory warranty runs out but before 100,000 miles. Electronics typically fail almost immediately or else never, and expensive mechanical items (powertrain) aren't far off of that.

I would certainly consider an extended warranty on a used car that's out of warranty because there are so many liars/cheats/lazies out there who don't do maintenance that you never know what you're getting. On the other hand, at that point I'd be buying something that's useful immediately. In addition I'd be looking aftermarket where the warranties I've shopped for in the past are typically 1/2 or even only 1/3-1/4 the price of the dealer-sold warranty and also often from the same company.

Just my perspective here, not necessarily "the way to go."

bulwnkl said:
You can absolutely buy that warranty any time before your factory warranty expires, though the price increases the closer you get to expiration.

We just bought our 5 late last week and we passed on the warranty. I have a little different perspective than others, I suppose. I am able to do most mechanical work myself and because of that I consider $1200-$1400 for a warranty that does NOTHING for me for the next 3-4 years (while I'm under factory warranty) to be an extreme waste of money. At that point, since I can do most all of the wrenching myself, any repairs only 'cost' me the price of the parts. Also, barring accident, outright abuse or neglect of maintenance it's very, very unlikely that you'll have a mechanical or electronic failure after the factory warranty runs out but before 100,000 miles. Electronics typically fail almost immediately or else never, and expensive mechanical items (powertrain) aren't far off of that.

I would certainly consider an extended warranty on a used car that's out of warranty because there are so many liars/cheats/lazies out there who don't do maintenance that you never know what you're getting. On the other hand, at that point I'd be buying something that's useful immediately. In addition I'd be looking aftermarket where the warranties I've shopped for in the past are typically 1/2 or even only 1/3-1/4 the price of the dealer-sold warranty and also often from the same company.

Just my perspective here, not necessarily "the way to go."
I agree completely. You're just financing the (future) repairs. If there are any. At the least wait and see if the car is trouble prone towards the end of the factory warranty before deciding on an extended warranty.

everyone i know, that has gotten the extended warranty has never got any use of. especially if it isn't through mazda and it's by some underwriter then it hardly covers anything... just my $.02

Although I turned down the full extended warranty - I'm considering taking out a wheel/tire hazard coverage - anyone else? I've already hit a pothole with these low profile tires and had to replace it....

065 said:
I agree completely. You're just financing the (future) repairs. If there are any. At the least wait and see if the car is trouble prone towards the end of the factory warranty before deciding on an extended warranty.

I have the same idea. I've bougth the extended warranty for my previous car (Ford Contour 98) and never used it. This investment 1600CAD was lost completely.
I don't think Mazda5 2006 will have more problem than old Ford Contour 98. I'm not going to invest even $1 in extended warranty.

Or you can just put $20 bucks a month in a savings account and at the end of the four year warranty, you would have saved $960 (not counting interests) to put towards any repairs.

I bought an extended warranty on a 97 Cavalier and never used it. So I decided to pass on it for my '02 Cavalier... bad. As soon as the original warranty expired all sorts of problems came about... grrr... POS crapalier! I am simply not ever going to buy another GM... in other words GM should've given that extended warranty to me for free because it would guarantee that I buy another car from them... HAH!

Back