ms6 + boost controller

35ounce

:
'06 Mazdaspeed6
any of you ms6'ers play around with boost controllers yet?? i'm gettin my hands on a hallmann boost controller this weekend and was lookin to see how high you guys were able to push her without any permanent damage... lol

if anyone is interested in the Greddy Profec unit let me know. i had it on my car for 3 weeks until i got the Haltech unit i ordered.

isn't the boost on the ms6 pcm controlled? Doesn't that mean you need some kind of chip to raise the boost like on vw's/audi's? Won't a boost controller not work because it is not controlled by the wastegate?

good question? there are technical highlight for the speed over on 6tech. maybe worth checking out first.

yea, i figured it should be ok. but, i never went ahead with playing around with the boost controller because i wasn't able to pick up a boost gauge yet.

started a thread over on 6club about it, figured it would get more views there, and seems the speed has an integrated controller. which made sense as everyones comments on how quick/smooth the boost comes on. seems to be ecu controlled, so andding another, or changing the stock one might pose some problems with mazdas ecu. not sure, just passing the info.

Isn't going to work properly. The pcm controlls the boost electronically using a solenoid. Once you over-ride it using another boost controller the pcm will know. Who knows what will happen at that point, valve timing changes, ignition spark cut, fuel cut. There is one thing I know for certain. It will throw a cel for it. If anything happens, the dealer will know you were screwing with it.

That being said, someone has to push the limits on one of these things. Just remember you have to pay to play, and the motors arn't going to be found at the junkyard.

for those with a scanner, it won't hurt to try, you can always clear codes. but "most likely", as usual, mazda doesn't make it easy to mod yet another car. for those that have one laying around, i don't think it would hurt to try. if anyone in cali wants to, i have an extra greddy one laying around....then we can see how it hangs with the hiboost setup.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Isn't going to work properly. The pcm controlls the boost electronically using a solenoid. Once you over-ride it using another boost controller the pcm will know. Who knows what will happen at that point, valve timing changes, ignition spark cut, fuel cut. There is one thing I know for certain. It will throw a cel for it. If anything happens, the dealer will know you were screwing with it.

That being said, someone has to push the limits on one of these things. Just remember you have to pay to play, and the motors arn't going to be found at the junkyard.

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Depending on where the overboost limit is set, adding boost may or may not trigger a CEL. On previously owned turbo vehicles that have had a computer controlled boost controller, when a aftermarket boost controller was added all we did was leave the factory solenoid plugged in. With it still plugged in (although inoperable) the computer would still think it was doing it's job. I'd say that the factory overboost setting would be about 17.5 psi or something close to that. (Guess) So if you stay under that threshold all should be well. 2 lbs of boost could yield ~20 hp so it may be worthwhile to give it a shot.... That is if a voided warranty doesn't concern you.

TT

alot of cars have boost controller by a solenoid or switch, usually with a vacuum hose going into it and then back out of it. on cars like this i have bypassed such a device, left it wired in and capped off the vacuum points.

keep in mind i am not advocating anything, just throwing an idea out there.

The set-up on the Ms6 is alittle different. The line comes out of the intake, into one port of the wastegate actuator, then another line comes out of the actuator into the solenoid, then it goes into the intake system.

You may be able to take the solenoid side off, and put a manual boost controller(with a bleed) in the feed line from the intake manifold. However that will only net you slower spool time and sloppy control.

The best bet is to get the pcm to change the boost for you.

If it were, I would own a Ms6.

There's always ways to do things though. I know from experience how fast stock "Mazdaspeed" vehicles can be.

Back