Power to the lighter socket

Hi

Does anyone know if you can have the Mazda5 "reprogrammed" so that the lighter socket stays energized with the key in the off position or does it have to be rewired. Anyone done this?

I'm guessing it probably needs to be wired to 12v constant. Every Japanese car that I've messed with has had an ignition hot lighter, whereas every domestic I've messed with has 12v constant.

Yep, you'd have to re-wire it. I've got the SIRIUS unit attatched to the 12v outlet, and it turns off with the ignition. Most cars have a constant on wire that can be tapped into under the steering column.

Also check the fuse panel (in cab, not underhood) for a 12v constant, use a testlight or even better a digital multimeter to see which ones are 12v constant. Or you could check the owners manual, it might say in there too.

Playing with wires

Heya

I understand you want to have a "hot" accessory plug. Well that one on the dash is not as you found out. A word to the wise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON"T PLAY WITH THE WIRES IN THE STEERING COLUMN (poke) or any where else without assistance of a schematic. The AIRBAG system may introduce itself prematurly. Damn you don't want powder in your new car eh.

Listen from my experiance with these mazda harnesses there are spare wires waiting for your requirements. Again ask a skilled service mechanic.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

Back