Antoine

Administrator
ALL-NEW 2007 MAZDA CX-7
MAKES GLOBAL DEBUT WITH
STARTING PRICE OF $23,750

Mazda_CX7.jpg

2007 Mazda CX-7

2006 NAIAS

DETROIT - Mazda North American Operations today announced that pricing for the CX-7, the companys all-new crossover SUV, will begin at $23,750 for the front-wheel-drive Sport model. Produced entirely on Mazda-derived platform architecture, the five-seat CX-7 embodies an astute blend of sports car verve and SUV practicality, resulting in a fun-to-drive SUV with Mazdas trademark Soul of a Sportscar.

Matching its sporty appearance, the Mazda CX-7s performance is powerful and dynamic. All CX-7s will be powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct-injection gasoline engine that produces 244-horsepower at 5,000 rpm.

CX-7 is offered in three trim levels Sport, Touring and Grand Touring. All models include air conditioning, power-windows, -door locks and -mirrors , retractable key, cruise control, and six air bags. Also standard on all CX-7s is an A nti-lock Brake System (ABS), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and a Traction Control System (TCS).

Touring editions add leather trim (seats, steering wheel, shift knob ), power adjustment of the drivers seat, heated front seats and a retractable cargo cover. In top-line Grand Touring trim, CX-7 is equipped with leather with a black sport-seat stripe , high intensity discharge ( HID ) headlamps, fog lamps, body-color mirrors, chrome door handles and automatic interior climate control.

Mazdas CX-7 arrives in the North American market in the spring of 2006 as a 2007 model.

-Mazda

Just over 15lbs of boost according to Mazda's website. Wow. Maybe HiBoost will pimp this engine out too !

my mom now wants to trade the tribute in for one CX-7 ;)
when it comes out to dealerships of course

I saw it at the L.A. Auto Show, the rear view camera is a good feature. Good price, I just wish they would have added the extra 2 seats like the concept. Either way a turbo in a SUV can't be beat :D, much cheaper than the Forester, how much for the AWD version??

Yeah, Mazda should stop selling/making tribute. Leave that thing to Ford.
CX-7 is more like Mazda's own family style.

MSP #167 said:
same engine as mazdaspeed 6?

a detuned version of the MS6 engine; this version gives off 244 hp @ 5000 RPMs, running at up to 15.6 psi of boost, and the MS6 engine gives off 274hp at the same boost pressure

Last edited:
This thing is getting sweeter with every press release ;)

...and about the extra seats...look for the upcoming CX-9 for that...

Everything about it looks good except I don't like the fact that it requires 91 Octane fuel, especially with gas prices these days. I had a car that required premium and I refuse to buy another one that requires it again. If you can't build a car that can run on 87 octane then I'm not interested. I know with turbo engines you don't have much of a choice.

YelPro03 said:
Everything about it looks good except I don't like the fact that it requires 91 Octane fuel, especially with gas prices these days. I had a car that required premium and I refuse to buy another one that requires it again. If you can't build a car that can run on 87 octane then I'm not interested. I know with turbo engines you don't have much of a choice.

Maybe after a testdrive you will change your mind ;) That 2.3 DIT is turning out to be a real gem.

Antoine said:
Maybe after a testdrive you will change your mind ;) That 2.3 DIT is turning out to be a real gem.
Perhaps. Never say never I suppose but I guess I'm at a stage in life where I no longer look for one solution to solve all my needs. Instead of buying a pair of cross training shoes, I would buy a pair of running shoes, a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of hiking boots, and a pair of basketball shoes. What's my point? Well, it looks like the CX7 is trying to be a sports car, an SUV, a family hauler, and most likely a daily driver. So if I wanted a sports car, I would buy a sports car. If I wanted an SUV as my daily driver, then I'm going to look for the utility and economy (prices and cost) values of the vehicle. I assume everyone knows the difference between price and cost. In 4 years I bought 3 new cars. I wanted a sports car back in 2001 so I got an Eclipse GT. My wife wanted a small car that's fun to drive but can also accomodate a good size dog cage(she volunteers at 2 animal shelters so she has to transport cats and dogs for adoption quite often) so I got her a 2003 Protege5. Last year I wanted a good family sedan with low cost of ownership so I got a 2005 Accord EX. All this while I still have my 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup. So rather than having one vehicles that does it all but none well, I got different vehicles that do their jobs the best. I'm not bashing the CX7 at all. I think it's an awesome vehicle and it will be a huge contender against the new RAV4. But given the choice between a car that runs on 87 octane versus one that uses 91 where both have similar sticker prices, features, and performance, I would get the one that runs on 87. This keeps the cost of ownership down for the life of the vehicle without compromising anything. By the way, my Eclipse GT used 91 octane and I thought that wouldn't bother me much but it did. Gas prices are high enough as it is. Having to pay $.20 more per gallon for 91 octane is just rediculous and unnecessary. Although I loved the performance, the high cost of ownership took some of the joy away.

Last edited:
Back