Boom Boom for my Zoom Zoom

pbdave

:
Mazda 5 GT Black
Well we have decided. We like our stock audio system overall, but it is kinda lacking on the low end, even my wife agrees!

So now we are looking for options to add a bit-o-bass. Anyone done anything sub-wise yet? As life now involves strollers & other useful equipment we cannot do a standard sub box, so I am thinking something molded & built in either to one of the side bins at the back, or....?

Thoughts? Seen anything out there?

I too have been pondering how to get one in the passenger side rear bin. Another option is attaching a powered subwoofer to to back of the third row seat so when the seat is folded down it would lay flat just behind the 2nd row seats not eating up too much cargo space. We have only used the 3rd row seats once so for us down is almost always.
More than likely I'll go the route of a (small) subwoofer; I hear one of the best is the Kenwood KSC-SW1.

A search would find more threads about this topic than ... well the total post count from all three beginning posters.

CasopoliS said:
A search would find more threads about this topic than ... well the total post count from all three beginning posters.

I'd doubt that..., they're discussing how subs would fit into a "not so roomy' 2006 Mazda5, but I could be wrong

A link would be helpful (sun)

Ah s*** my bad.... I keep getting it mixed up with the Protege5.... where this has been discussed a ton.
I cannot help with the mazda5, but good luck. Over time the knowledge base will grow....

I know this won't help, but I've seen a Premacy with 2 12s (boom07)

There is a guy from another forum who installed a Kenwood KSC-SW1, but doesn't have any pics yet.

Here's what he had to say...
Finished my subwoofer install this weekend. I used the speaker level inputs, and placed the unit behind the third row seats. I thought I could squeeze it somewhere like under a second row seat to save room, but then I wouldn't be able to slide the seats forward. I may try to move it later if I feel inclined to experiment.

Also reworked my i-Pod installation. I tapped into the front cigerette lighter, and mounted another outlet under the cupholders. I am using a Belkin Auto kit (a charger with a 3.5mm audio output) to connect to the Auxmod at the radio. Also I installed a Ground Loop noise filter to get rid of noise, and engine whine, while the charger is in use. I still have another 3.5mm input from py previous install, so I have a splitter at the Auxmod in order to give me a dedicated iPod connection, and an accessory input for portable DVD players or whatever.

The Kenwood doesn't take up a lot of space and REALLY adds strong bass. Everyone on Crutchfield was right. Works great, won't set off car alarms, but will thump HARD once adjusted right.

For a remote turn on lead, I tapped into the radios wiring harness. The wire I used is ORANGE WITH SILVER DOTS. I used some info on Mazda3forums.com to point me in the right direction, but all of our wiring has different colors.

P.S. Even WITH the third row seats removed, THE REAR SIDE PANELS ARE A #$^&^%#^% TO DEAL WITH!!! If removing these, GO CRAAAZY SLOW, like a clip at a time slow. The seatbelt lower mounts ALL go on the OUTSIDE of the panels, and don't lose the threaded plastic that the upper bolts screw into. I only have one now.

It was worth it.

the_saint said:
I know this won't help, but I've seen a Premacy with 2 12s (boom07)

There is a guy from another forum who installed a Kenwood KSC-SW1, but doesn't have any pics yet.

Here's what he had to say...

Thanks Saint - what forum was that on? Maybe I can chase it up there for a pic!

pbdave said:
Thanks Saint - what forum was that on? Maybe I can chase it up there for a pic!
mpvclub.com
In the Mazda5/Premacy section.
I forget the guy's name (and I'm too lazy to search for it again) but if you search "Kenwood KSC-SW1" under the Mazda5 section you'll find it.

Here's those 2 12s
lol

P1.jpg

boom BOOM

the_saint said:
Here's those 2 12s
lol

YIKES!

'spose I could always strap the stroller to the roof hey? That is if it ever stopped RAINING here! Not to mention a setup like that would probably walk away in 15minutes 'round here.

I still am thinking (dreaming) about something in those side bins...

pbdave said:
YIKES!

'spose I could always strap the stroller to the roof hey? That is if it ever stopped RAINING here! Not to mention a setup like that would probably walk away in 15minutes 'round here.

I still am thinking (dreaming) about something in those side bins...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Apparently theft isn't as big of an issue in Japan as it is here in the good ol U.S. of A.

as for the side bins...what exactly are you thinking? actual subs? There isn't a whole lot of room in those side bins unless you're thinking about doing something that runs up the sides. Something that involves cutting out the bins and molding an enclosure that runs up the side behind those side panels.

My though was removing the spare (yeah, I know
vava.gif
) as well as the jack and whatnot and putting a sub in the spare tire well.

the_saint said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Apparently theft isn't as big of an issue in Japan as it is here in the good ol U.S. of A.

as for the side bins...what exactly are you thinking? actual subs? There isn't a whole lot of room in those side bins unless you're thinking about doing something that runs up the sides. Something that involves cutting out the bins and molding an enclosure that runs up the side behind those side panels.

My though was removing the spare (yeah, I know
vava.gif
) as well as the jack and whatnot and putting a sub in the spare tire well.

The side bins are pretty small - I need a good sunny day here to nose around further. I had been thinking that there may be enough room for a 6" in some sort of molded enclosure, but it would definately have to be small. More along the lines of a bazooka tube than some serious boom.

The kenwood all-in-one unit is also intruiging. I will keep digging and post if I fin anything compelling!

mount the amp under you seat and use a small box in the back that you can easily remove if you need the full space.....thats what i do!

Protege52003 said:
mount the amp under you seat and use a small box in the back that you can easily remove if you need the full space.....thats what i do!
I've been tossing around that idea using a bazooka tube as a half a$$ed system for the time being.

There is/was a subwoofer on the market that fit inside the spare tire, I think Pioneer made it. Don't know how well it worked, but if you can still find one that might work out as an easy option.
On the other hand, I've also been looking at sub options. I used to install stereos, alarms, and what not. There definitely seems to be room for a custom fiberglass enclosure behind the rear panels. I haven't taken them apart, but for a decent 8" sub you can have an enclosure as small as 1/4 cu. ft. of airspace, which is about a shoebox. A decent 10" will require about 1/2 cu. ft. which looks like you could get, then it's just a matter of actually fitting the 10.
The other option I was thinking about was behind the center dash. I've seen small subs mounted up front before and they sounded incredible. With that console area where the shifter is (I have an automatic), it looks like there might be some space there. I'm sure others have taken it apart, so is there ANY room there?

the_saint said:
I've been tossing around that idea using a bazooka tube as a half a$$ed system for the time being.

On that topic I was thinking maybe you could mount a 'zooka tube on the lower part of the rear door - that way it is out of the way whether the seats are up or down.

Wiring would prob be a b**** tho.

I don't think the lift struts would be able to handle the weight. Plus unless you're a short person, you'd probably hit your head (or with my luck, it'd fall off and land on my head!) even if you lift the gate to the second stop. The wiring would probably be the easiest part. lol

the_saint said:
I don't think the lift struts would be able to handle the weight. Plus unless you're a short person, you'd probably hit your head (or with my luck, it'd fall off and land on my head!) even if you lift the gate to the second stop. The wiring would probably be the easiest part. lol

V. Good point... how heavy are those tubes? i never thought they would weigh that much.

Latest posts

Back