Gas Cap Holder

gunslinger13x

:
06 Mazda 5 Touring
Went to fill my 5 for the 1st time and found that there is nowhere to put the cap except against the body - ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Made a quick search on Google and found that Honda makes a part that could be used.

The PN is 74423-SPO-000. I was able to get it from the local dealer for only $3.95. For use on the 5 (or for any vehicle for that matter) the mounting tabs will have to be cut or ground off. Then double-sided 3M tape can be used to attach it to the fuel door. Get the tape from any Body Shop supply store as it's designed to be used on vehicle trim.

Will post pics if there is interest.

Thans for the part number and please do post pics.
I grumble to myself every time I fill up. What I do is 'wedge' the cap onto a tab on the fuel door...it holds most of the time, but sometimes it falls off and bangs on the fender, making me cringe.

the_saint said:
Thans for the part number and please do post pics.
I grumble to myself every time I fill up. What I do is 'wedge' the cap onto a tab on the fuel door...it holds most of the time, but sometimes it falls off and bangs on the fender, making me cringe.

I'm pretty anal myself but the cap is plastic. Simply place it down gently so it doesn't hit the car. The pastic won't scratch unless you put force behind it.

gunslinger13x said:
Went to fill my 5 for the 1st time and found that there is nowhere to put the cap except against the body - ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Made a quick search on Google and found that Honda makes a part that could be used.

The PN is 74423-SPO-000. I was able to get it from the local dealer for only $3.95. For use on the 5 (or for any vehicle for that matter) the mounting tabs will have to be cut or ground off. Then double-sided 3M tape can be used to attach it to the fuel door. Get the tape from any Body Shop supply store as it's designed to be used on vehicle trim.

Will post pics if there is interest.

Please do post pics. I was thinking about cutting the plastic part that holds the cap.

Mazda could have made a longer plastic leash for the cap, then it would hang below the fender line near the wheel well. :wtf:

Skylab said:
Mazda could have made a longer plastic leash for the cap, then it would hang below the fender line near the wheel well. :wtf:
But then the "leash" would hang out from behind the fuel door when you close it.

I think the cap does fit into the back of the door - I recall my salesman showing me how to do it but of course I forgot by the time I had to get gas. (doh)
I'll ask next time I'm in, which is soon to get a broken door handle fixed.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
I think the cap does fit into the back of the door - I recall my salesman showing me how to do it but of course I forgot by the time I had to get gas. (doh)

I was looking today, but couldn't figure it out - Oh well!

Here are a couple pics of the Honda CRV gas cap holder that I placed on my 5.

Attachments

• DCP_0009.JPG
    DCP_0009.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 661
  • DCP_0010.JPG
    DCP_0010.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
mazdaFIVEmike said:

Didn't get a chance to talk to my salesman but the technician that I spoke to did not know of a way to hold the cap within the door. Looks like your Honda holder is the best - and cheapest - solution!!

There is a little metal tab on the bottom inside of gas door.

I was able to push the inside of the cap on this tab.

This worked, although I like the Honda cap holder idea better!

Cardura9

Gas Cap Solution

Great Idea

Has anyone tried it in the great white north??? At minus 25 or 30 C two way tape seems to have a hard time up here.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom (cheers)

Zoom5Zoom said:
Great Idea

Has anyone tried it in the great white north??? At minus 25 or 30 C two way tape seems to have a hard time up here.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom (cheers)

I would try removing the fuel door/gas cap by removing these two screws - Then take it indoors, let it come to room temp and then apply the 2-sided tape.

Attachments

• DCP_0005.JPG
    DCP_0005.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 344
Gas Cap

Thanks

I ment to say that at -25 C in the great white north I don't think the double sided tape will stand the temperature.

cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

Zoom5Zoom said:
Thanks

I ment to say that at -25 C in the great white north I don't think the double sided tape will stand the temperature.

cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

There are a lot of vehicle mouldings are held on the vehicle with 2 sided tape. You just have to get it from an autobody supply. There is a specific temp range just to install it.

Zoom5Zoom said:
Thanks

cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)
On my last car I had a reverse gear sonar sensor (from Canadian Tire, eh?) for which the sensor was mounted on the rear face of the deck lid with double-sided tape. It is still stuck like glue four winters and summers later even though the sonar transponder stopped working a year ago. I wish I knew what brand of tape came with the kit because it is rock solid. Of course, that sensor didn't have any force applied to it on a regular basis the way a gas cap holder would be shoved around at each fillup. But I'd guess that a quality tape CAN stand up to the temps here. (I'm in Ottaw-w-w-w-a). Make sure the metal is COMPLETELY CLEAN and WARM when you apply the tape.
(thumb)

I've just took the small but strong magnet ring from my daughter's broken toy and glued it to the cap.

The toy was from dollar store and costs $1 :)))

Works perfectly.

Highly recommended.

Sorry to bump up such an old post, I found it while I was digging around looking for something else.

Do you all really not have gas cap leashes on your 5s????

I have one and my 5 was manufactured in Sept (didn't buy til Feb.). I'm wondering if my dealer put one on, or if this was something they fixed early on.

edited to add...

duh, in the light of day I now see that you do have the leash, just don't like where it drops... makes more sense.

Last edited:
Back