Any MS6 Problems?

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
So as not to clutter up FX-Man's post on his loss of power, I am starting this thread to capture comments from anyone with an MS6 who is experiencing problems. I do not want this to be a b**** and whine thread. Rather I would prefer this to be an informative thread to chronicle significant problems to allow us to determine how best to avoid these issues or to address them when they arise. Gotta give props to seansw and Antoine for the idea for this thread.

Although I am open to suggestions, I think that it would be easiest to keep posts short and descriptive using the following format:

Posting ID:
Model:
Duration Owned:
Mileage:
Mods:
Fuel Octane Used:
Problem:
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred:
Steps Taken to Address Problem:
Resolution of Problem:
Current Status:
Future Plans:

If members think that this is worthwhile perhaps we could have the mods make this a sticky. We could set it up something like the list in the MSP section.

Myself, I have not had any problems with my MS6 other than ice getting under the tint on the driver's window. I wouldn't consider this a problem with the car...just the tinter. Other than that my MS6 has been rock solid.

Hope that this list is not to long...LOL!

R

I dropped a K&N in the air box and it seems to be just fine. K&N hasn't made the model specific filter yet, but I sized one up and it fits perfect. It's filter #33-2145-1. I also modified the air dam and innercooler shroud a little to protect the innercooler. I noticed the innercooler was getting some damaged due to the gapping wide stock thick, plastic mesh. I cut out that mesh, then took some thinner, smaller aluminum mesh and wraped the air inlets of the air dam to keep the rocks, leaves, bugs, ect away from the innercooler. I'm lookin' for a set of hard pipes to redo the plumbing, but I havn't had any luck.

No problems with mine and I have had it for almost a month. I also put in the K&N filter (same size as the 6i's filter).

Ate Baller - are you concerned that the mesh might disrupt airflow to the intercooler? I was actually considering taking the plastic mesh off the intercooler completely, but if you are seeing damage already...I might not.

I think the plastic was much more restrictive of the air flow, being that it was right on top of the innercooler.The way I've done it, the protection rests about two feet from the innercooler, so it is not to impede air fow at all really; and with the new mesh being a much finer gauge and with much finer holes, less crap is gonna get sucked through that air-dam right to the innercooler. By the way, what part # was your filter?

ATE BALLER said:
I think the plastic was much more restrictive of the air flow, being that it was right on top of the innercooler.The way I've done it, the protection rests about two feet from the innercooler, so it is not to impede air fow at all really; and with the new mesh being a much finer gauge and with much finer holes, less crap is gonna get sucked through that air-dam right to the innercooler. By the way, what part # was your filter?
Don't know what the part number is - I don't have the box anymore. I do remember ordering the 6i replacment panel filter and it fit right into place.

K&N panel filter part # for 6i is 33-2279 Local shop here sells that for $70 USD

Damn, mine was only like $40 or $45. It's model #33-2145-1 and it was a little tight, but no evidence that it will function improperly.

Time, dataloging and used oil analasis can tell.

Rainman said:
So as not to clutter up FX-Man's post on his loss of power, I am starting this thread to capture comments from anyone with an MS6 who is experiencing problems. I do not want this to be a b**** and whine thread. Rather I would prefer this to be an informative thread to chronicle significant problems to allow us to determine how best to avoid these issues or to address them when they arise. Gotta give props to seansw and Antoine for the idea for this thread.

Although I am open to suggestions, I think that it would be easiest to keep posts short and descriptive using the following format:

Posting ID:
Model:
Duration Owned:
Mileage:
Mods:
Fuel Octane Used:
Problem:
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred:
Steps Taken to Address Problem:
Resolution of Problem:
Current Status:
Future Plans:

If members think that this is worthwhile perhaps we could have the mods make this a sticky. We could set it up something like the list in the MSP section.

Myself, I have not had any problems with my MS6 other than ice getting under the tint on the driver's window. I wouldn't consider this a problem with the car...just the tinter. Other than that my MS6 has been rock solid.

Hope that this list is not to long...LOL!

R

I had an issue with power loss on the way to work this morning. In hindsight, I may have had this issue once before where I felt the car felt sluggish, but since I installed a boost gauge over the weekend, I was able to see that there was a definate boost related power loss with the car. I am not sure if it is the same issue that other folks are having where they are saying they are getting no boost after 4200 rpms. It didn't feel like I had boost, but there was some - just less and slower than usual.

The car felt noticeably slower and real sluggish...it didn't jump like it usually does when I get on it. I noticed that boost would peak at 10 psi, but more interesting was the fact that it would build boost very slowly (usually the needle on the gauge is at 15-17 psi just like that when flooring the accelerator). This morning it crept up to 10 psi and then came back down - it didn't matter if I was at 3000 rpms or 5000 rpms when I floored it - it just crawled to 10 psi and the car felt noticeably slower/less responsive. I have a twenty minute commute in good weather w/ 90% of it being freeways. The last couple of miles is through city streets. When I came off the freeway and was stopped at the first light, I shut the car off and started it back up and the car reverted back to its usual manner. Boost shot up to 15 psi when I would go wot and the car just felt alot more responsive...like I'm used to it feeling. It was 18 degrees out this morning if that matters.

I'll try to use Rainman's format:

Mazdaspeed 6
owned for a little over 1 month
1350 miles
Grounding kit, K&N panel filter
93 octane (consistently)
powerloss, with associated weird boost behavior/limited boost
first trip of the day (first start-up) on the freeway going 60-70 mph, also on freeway entrance 20-30 mph
turned car off restarted and problem went away
current status is that this seems to be an intermittent problem and I guess since it has only happened once for sure, but probably once before, I'm waiting for a fix whether that is a ecu reflash through mazda or some tuner out there. I probably won't take the car in unless it becomes more frequent, but I'll definately mention it when it goes in for service (3500 more miles).

Posting ID: Rainman
Model: MS6 Grand Touring
Duration Owned: 2 months
Mileage: 2446 km
Mods: None
Fuel Octane Used: 91-93 depending on what is available
Problem: door "request" buttons not working, keyless ignition dash light illuminated red (doors will open with key fob button)
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: started suddenly last week after driving car normally in cold weather and stopping for a short period in a store.
Steps Taken to Address Problem: will take in to service this Thursday
Resolution of Problem: none yet
Current Status: pending
Future Plans:

R

i sense an ECU reflash coming on...i test drove an MS6 again and for the most part, car drove as awesome as i recall, but i did experience power loss on one of my WOT tries. i tried again right afterwards though and car was fine.

Rainman said:
Posting ID: Rainman
Model: MS6 Grand Touring
Duration Owned: 2 months
Mileage: 2446 km
Mods: None
Fuel Octane Used: 91-93 depending on what is available
Problem: door "request" buttons not working, keyless ignition dash light illuminated red (doors will open with key fob button)
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: started suddenly last week after driving car normally in cold weather and stopping for a short period in a store.
Steps Taken to Address Problem: will take in to service this Thursday
Resolution of Problem: none yet
Current Status: pending
Future Plans:

R

what are door request buttons?? if you're talking about the window switches, check my thread under the welcome area... i got some help and was able to program the switches to work properly

35ounce said:
what are door request buttons?? if you're talking about the window switches, check my thread under the welcome area... i got some help and was able to program the switches to work properly

No, not the window switch, but rather the door request switches on the two front handles on the GT model with the keyless ignition. These are the buttons you press to unlock the car without using the key or the remote. They just stopped working last week. Usually when the keycard is in the car, the word "KEY" is illuminated green on the instrument cluster. However, if the keyless ignition is not working properly, the word "KEY" is illuminated in red signalling the driver to have the car checked. Currently, "KEY" has been illuminated in red on my instrument panel since the end of last week. Just haven't had time to take it in yet.

R

Update: The module for the keyless ignition is located under the rear bumper. The connector is somewhat exposed to the elements, although the module itself is protected. With our labile weather here in Ottawa we have had a lot of melting snow and slush. Over time moisture has worked its way into the exposed connector and shorted out the circuit and possibly damaged the keyless ignition module.

Plan: Mazda Canada has already been contacted about this as another Ottawa MS6 has already had this problem earlier this week. Mazda Canada, when contacted earlier, didn't know the part number for this modeule. They are figuring that out so that they can order it. Turn around is expected to be 2 weeks.

My MS tech is pretty cool so he plans to first verify that this is the problem by connecting the new unit when it arrives. If this is indeed the problem he is going to cut off the two connectors, solder the ends, and apply heat-shrink to the wires so that they are impervious to the elements. He suspects that there will be quite a few MS6 cars with this problem, especially if they are driven in inclement climates, which will make it necessary for Mazda to develop a different connector component to retrofit cars with the problem.

R

keyless entry

Had the same problem with MS6 after only a few weeks. Rear keyless entry button wouldn't work. Tech tracked it down to the rear antenna. I did notice that it first happened in rainy weather. Tech seemed to think that it would probably be a common problem, though it didn't sound like a big deal to fix.

I gouged the right front wheel on a curb while parking. Trying to get close to the curb to give myself extra room from the car on the left. Learned my lesson. Found a company that will fix it up good as new (supposedly) here in Detroit. My Dad's used them for wheels on his Jag and said he couldn't tell they'd been blemished.

I absolutely love the car. The keyless issue is minor. No problems with power loss. Was concerned about driving in snow/ice with the low-profile tires, but I've been through several snow storms with no problems. I live in Michigan, and the AWD is the reason I chose the MS6 over the RX-8.

Keith

Posting ID: XPLORx4
Model: Mazdaspeed6 GT
Duration Owned: 1/28/06-current
Mileage: 650 (2/7/06), increasing by ~400mi/week
Mods: iPod audio link, XM radio
Fuel Octane Used: 91
Problem: rear differential howl/whine between 40 and 50 mph, loudest @ 45
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: accel/decel/cruise @ 45mph
Steps Taken to Address Problem: dealer alerted to symptom, will be monitored as mileage increases
Resolution of Problem: none at this time
Current Status: under observation for increase in symptom
Future Plans: yes, many; TBD. :)

don't have a speed, but figured it might be help for those that don't know.

* Link removed (See 6/MS6 forum rules) Thanks!

there is input from 20 or so owners with issues on their speed's, worth a look if you are concerned. though no fixes yet for the big issues.

XPLORx4 said:
Posting ID: XPLORx4
Model: Mazdaspeed6 GT
Problem: rear differential howl/whine between 40 and 50 mph, loudest @ 45
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: accel/decel/cruise @ 45mph
Steps Taken to Address Problem: dealer alerted to symptom, will be monitored as mileage increases
Resolution of Problem: none at this time
Yep, I've got this too, at about 75-80 km/h (same speed approx).

Not sure where it's coming from or even if it's tyre harmonics, but it sure is loud, and I spend a lot of time at that speed.

PJ

Back