Tuning and Warrenty

FX-MAN

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6
I had a Toyota Celica, the dealership put in an AEM CAI, Hotshot Header, and TRD Exhaust (now that's toyota part, so that one they were obviously OK with), and a lightweight flywheel... They said my warrenty was fine since they did all the work.

Will Mazda do intake and exhaust on the MS6 (once they become availible)? Or do you guys think that would void the warrenty?

most likely it will void the warrenty. Mazda will blame aftermarket intakes for blown speakers. Happened to a friend of mine.

It all depends on dealership and their comfort level. If you come off as soneone who just randomly threw parts on the car they might be a lil leary vs. someone who somewhat comes off as someone with basic or better knowledge of cars.

My opinion is warranty and mods are dealer specific. Just ask before you mod, or find a dealer that is mod friendly.

Some issues also might require you to go back stock ;) Not nessesarly to hide anything, but some troubleshooting requires stock parts.

JOMO said:
most likely it will void the warrenty. Mazda will blame aftermarket intakes for blown speakers. Happened to a friend of mine.

(boom07) that makes no sense

Thas a mitsu tactic! mazda dealerships aren't usualy that anal with a pine tree air freshener mirror modification.

seanmcsean said:
I know it makes no sense. But that happened to a friend of mine. He went in for blown door speaker, but they refused to fix it under warrenty because he had a cai. so he went to another dealership and they took care of it. Im not making it up, no point, just saying the excuses that they come up with.

doesn't matter. Under the magnussen-moss act, a dealer cannot void your warranty unless they can ABSOLUTELY prove that THE SPECIFIC part in question caused the failure. Either find a mod-friendly dealership or mention the magnussen-moss act to your dealer of choice if they give you any problems.

seanmcsean said:

yes it does. because of the added sound of the CAI he needed to turn up the stereo beyond its design capacity. if he did not have a CAI he would not have had the volume so loud and would not have blown a speaker.
:p

There is an awesome rally shop (they tune mostly Subaru) about an hour north of me, with an AWD dyno. They said they could do a custom exhaust job based on their custom STi application and estimate I would get about 10% increase in torque to the wheels (so like 22lbs/ft I guess?)

What could go wrong related to swapping stock for custom exhaust? I have had an aftermarket exhaust in every car I have owned in the last 15 years, but never had a custom exhaust done.

My dealer actually sponsored some of my mods for a local car show. Everything on my MSP the dealer is aware of and I have not had any issues with warranty claims.

R

FX-MAN said:
There is an awesome rally shop (they tune mostly Subaru) about an hour north of me, with an AWD dyno. They said they could do a custom exhaust job based on their custom STi application and estimate I would get about 10% increase in torque to the wheels (so like 22lbs/ft I guess?)

What could go wrong related to swapping stock for custom exhaust? I have had an aftermarket exhaust in every car I have owned in the last 15 years, but never had a custom exhaust done.

One reason turbo cars do so well with exhaust upgrades is that it usually allows the turbo to spool quicker and at a higher boost level, even with everything else at stock settings....

the added power can be used as an excuse by the dealer for a failure in anything from the turbo system to the engine to the drivetrain......

Speed 6 it would show Positive #'s, non Speed 6 would show Negative #'s cause the headers and unexplained crush bent piping are the restriction on the 6s. 6i had no major restrictions on exhaust side.

Da 6 said:
Speed 6 it would show Positive #'s, non Speed 6 would show Negative #'s cause the headers and unexplained crush bent piping are the restriction on the 6s. 6i had no major restrictions on exhaust side.

Is there a link where it shows what dealers are mod friendly through out US?
Is it true that if your car is ever caught driving on the streets with mazdaspeed performance parts you would get either your car towed or fined?

search any site that sells mazdaspeed 6 intake and it will come up as mazdaspeed orange=not street legal

Nando 6i said:
Is it true that if your car is ever caught driving on the streets with mazdaspeed performance parts you would get either your car towed or fined?

Where did you read or hear this?

The only time you'll possibly have a problem is at inspection time - it may fail the visual and/or emissions portions of the inspection..

Back