Upgrade Automatic Shifter?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hello Everyone!

After spending the first week with the new Mazda5 Touring Automatic, I have found an item that needs attention. The rubber knob for the shifting of the automatic just does not fit in. What I mean is, to go from your nice fat leather steering wheel, to a little puny rubber shift knob is just plain wrong! A leather knob is needed here. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Although I was intending on keeping it stock, this will be my first upgrade, as I can't stand it. I am writing the info here to see if anyone else has wrestled with this idea yet.

I have been doing some research and have seen 3 knobs that look interesting to me, and that should be a direct fit. The first is a knob that I have seen in some press pictures of the 5, it is silver and black, although I can't quite make out what type of material it is, but it looks to be identical to the 2006 Auto Miata knob. The second knob is the one from the Mazda3 Automatic and appears to be all black leather. The third is a silver and black leather optional accessory listed for the Mazda6.

Mazdadude

mazdadude said:
Hello Everyone!

After spending the first week with the new Mazda5 Touring Automatic, I have found an item that needs attention. The rubber knob for the shifting of the automatic just does not fit in. What I mean is, to go from your nice fat leather steering wheel, to a little puny rubber shift knob is just plain wrong! A leather knob is needed here. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Although I was intending on keeping it stock, this will be my first upgrade, as I can't stand it. I am writing the info here to see if anyone else has wrestled with this idea yet.

I have been doing some research and have seen 3 knobs that look interesting to me, and that should be a direct fit. The first is a knob that I have seen in some press pictures of the 5, it is silver and black, although I can't quite make out what type of material it is, but it looks to be identical to the 2006 Auto Miata knob. The second knob is the one from the Mazda3 Automatic and appears to be all black leather. The third is a silver and black leather optional accessory listed for the Mazda6.

Mazdadude
Also any MOMO stick shift knob that uses set screws to hold the knob in place will fit. I also put a piece of (fuel) hose on the threaded section of the gear selector for better stability.

mazdadude said:
Hello Everyone!

Mazdadude

Here is a pic of stock North America shifter

pho_gallery_MZ5_int12.jpg

Here are pics of the three. 06 MX5, 06 MAZDA3, and MAZDA6 Accessory

pho_gallery_MX5_int6.jpg

pho_gallery_M3H_int14.jpg

04_MZ6_Shifter_BrakeB1.gif

Attachments

• pho_gallery_MX5_int6.jpg
    pho_gallery_MX5_int6.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 177
  • pho_gallery_M3H_int14.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 04_MZ6_Shifter_BrakeB1.gif
    66 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
check out my canadian knob

mazdadude said:
The first is a knob that I have seen in some press pictures of the 5, it is silver and black, although I can't quite make out what type of material it is, but it looks to be identical to the 2006 Auto Miata knob. Mazdadude

not sure if this helps - but the knob in our Mazda5 GT in Canada (no touring avail here) is the 2 tone leather/metal as you describe. I will attach a pic from the brochure. If you want me to take a better pic let me know. I can only assume that this is the knob used in Canada as we cannot get the NAV system up here.

Attachments

• canadaknob.jpg
    canadaknob.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 274
pbdave said:
not sure if this helps - but the knob in our Mazda5 GT in Canada (no touring avail here) is the 2 tone leather/metal as you describe. I will attach a pic from the brochure. If you want me to take a better pic let me know. I can only assume that this is the knob used in Canada as we cannot get the NAV system up here.

Thanks PBDAVE! That knob looks much nicer then the rubber one I got on my US model.

I am curious however, is the silver at the top of the shifter actually metal? Or is it the painted plastic that the rest of the dash is made of?

Also I wonder if the Sport model in Canada gets the rubber knob, while the GT gets the "special 2-tone" knob?

Thanks
Mazdadude

u like my knob???

mazdadude said:
Thanks PBDAVE! That knob looks much nicer then the rubber one I got on my US model.

I am curious however, is the silver at the top of the shifter actually metal? Or is it the painted plastic that the rest of the dash is made of?

Also I wonder if the Sport model in Canada gets the rubber knob, while the GT gets the "special 2-tone" knob?

Thanks
Mazdadude

metal... hmmm... I think so - I will check tonight. I know it feels cold to the touch. My wife has only really let me drive it a couple times now, so I will have to pry it away for a few minutes. If it is I am happy to see if they are avail to order form the dealer in Canada and let you know.

Don't know about the GS model in Canada - have never been in one. I do know that a "leather wrapped steering wheel & shift knob" was listed on my options sheet as included with GT, so maybe that's the case.

mazdadude said:
Here is a pic of stock North America shifter

pho_gallery_MZ5_int12.jpg

Here are pics of the three. 06 MX5, 06 MAZDA3, and MAZDA6 Accessory

pho_gallery_MX5_int6.jpg

the last one looks EXACTLY like the MP3 shift knob !!!

pbdave said:
Don't know about the GS model in Canada - have never been in one. I do know that a "leather wrapped steering wheel & shift knob" was listed on my options sheet as included with GT, so maybe that's the case.

Correct, the Canadian-spec Mazda5 GS has the rubber auto shift-knob, and only the Canadian-spec Mazda5 GT has the two-tone leather auto shift-knob.

I agree it's odd that the US-spec Mazda5 Touring does not have the two-tone leather auto shift-knob.

Anyways, the two-tone leather auto shift knob sells for around $CAD160 at Canadian Mazda dealers.

plastique

mazdadude said:

Thanks
Mazdadude

well I checked last night and that silvery strip is sure as hell not metal. It is the same painted plastic as the other silver trim bits. Still looks really nice, but it seems a bit steep at $160.....

I can still take a closeup if you want one.

pbdave said:
well I checked last night and that silvery strip is sure as hell not metal. It is the same painted plastic as the other silver trim bits. Still looks really nice, but it seems a bit steep at $160.....

I can still take a closeup if you want one.

PBDAVE,

Painted PLASTIC! That is what I expected, thank you very much for checking for me. Closeup not required, but thank you for offering! (thumb)

I am leaning towards the Mazda3 knob myself, as I feel it matches the look and feel of the steering wheel better.

Mazdadude

Anyone knows how much the Mazda3 knob cost in US$?

I looked at a couple of online Mazda parts sites, but didn't see pricing for the standard Mazda3 shift knob.

Does the auto knob have the usual button that you have to push/hold to move the shift lever? The pics you posted didn't seem to show one, but... At any rate, if not, then I think your options are pretty much wide open because I'm guessing that it's just a thread-on knob like on any manual trans. Saw MOMO mentioned and those guys make some cool stuff, but they're just one of many. My feeling is that the cost from the dealership is going to be higher than what you can get aftermarket. Just depends on if you're really sold on the look/style of the Mazda knob.

nexs666 said:
Does the auto knob have the usual button that you have to push/hold to move the shift lever? The pics you posted didn't seem to show one, but... At any rate, if not, then I think your options are pretty much wide open because I'm guessing that it's just a thread-on knob like on any manual trans. Saw MOMO mentioned and those guys make some cool stuff, but they're just one of many. My feeling is that the cost from the dealership is going to be higher than what you can get aftermarket. Just depends on if you're really sold on the look/style of the Mazda knob.

no button on mine....

^^Nope. The auto-trans knobs do not have the button on them since they are a gated type shifter...you move the shifter sideways+up/down to bring it to the next place on the shift pattern.

I tried, just for ishts and giggles, to put the shift know from my 240sx (manual) and it was too big. So whatever the different sizes of threads for the thread on knobs, the 5 has the smaller one.

Then, without a button, you should be good to use just about any aftermarket universal shift knob. Most universal designs will come with a few small plastic sleeves of varying thickness to snugly fit knob to shifter. Those with the set screws around the base (do use Loc-Tite on them) and you should be covered.

Call me anal, but I'd like to get a knob that screws on like OE, not one of those setscrew type or bushing type knobs.

the_saint said:
Call me anal, but I'd like to get a knob that screws on like OE, not one of those setscrew type or bushing type knobs.

My sentiments exactly! (thumb)

Mazdadude

I hear you, but for the money that an OE fitment would've cost me... Well, $15, set screws and Loctite never gave me any issues. Plus, my options were that much greater since I didn't have to worry about what actually "fit" the shifter. But, hey, if you can afford the good stuff then by all means.

Yep, that the beauty of personal preference. I personally have been installing MOMO or Zender knobs in my cars over the last 28 years.

nexs666 said:
I hear you, but for the money that an OE fitment would've cost me... Well, $15, set screws and Loctite never gave me any issues. Plus, my options were that much greater since I didn't have to worry about what actually "fit" the shifter. But, hey, if you can afford the good stuff then by all means.
haha, that's why I'm still with the OE knob.

Back